PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews - Sit-Down Restaurants

AvonleaCF
09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Note: I was a solo diner on the dining plan (which I got for free)

Le Cellier

I was really looking forward to eating here, after hearing so many good things. I checked in at 6pm for a 6:20pm ADR and was amused by the host playing Disney trivia games. I was seated fairly quickly and really liked the ambience of the restaurant. My server, Deanna, was wonderful! The best server of my trip. Very nice and attentive and brought refills without my even needing to ask (too bad it was her last week of work before going back to Canada!).

I loved the breadsticks, which were nice and hot. The pretzel was especially good. For an appetizer I had the Caesar salad, which was good, but the lettuce was salty! I didn't like that. But at least the dressing was on the side (as I requested).

My main entrée was the mushroom filet, which was wonderful and cooked perfectly! However, I didn't care for the risotto because it was too salty (I guess the chef tonight was salt shaker happy). I only managed to eat about half the steak, since I was full from the bread and the salad. I asked her wrap it up with an extra pretzel breadstick (she actually gave me two, and the foil they were wrapped in was shaped as a swan!).

For dessert I had the chocolate "moose," which was not only adorable, but tasted amazing! Even though I was full I ate it all.

My meal came to over $51 for one person! I left an extra $2 tip on top of the 18% from the dining plan because my server was that good.

And now, don't shoot me here, but I don't think I'd make this a must-do every trip. It was good, but I'd like to try other places in the World Showcase first.

Cape May Café Clam Bake Dinner Buffet

I checked in around 6pm for a 6:20pm ADR and was seated in about 15 minutes. I spent the waiting time right outside looking out over the Boardwalk, which was so pleasant and lovely I was almost sad when my beeper went off (well, not quite, I was hungry!).

The hostess who sat me first pointed out the desserts before leading me to my table. And then my server came, who also mentioned the desserts straight out! My server was lovely and was very cheerful and chatty (good for a solo diner) and brought my refills promptly.

The buffet here is set up in a square with different foods on each side. I started with some salad and some peel-and-eat shrimp (would be better if they were peeled...) and some mussels and clams. Everything was yummy! I had never had mussels nor clams before and really enjoyed them (or maybe just because they were drenched in garlic butter!).

For my second round I had some sliced prime rib (a bit too tough) and some ribs (wonderful) and corn-on-the-cob, steamed veggies, and mashed potatoes. Everything was very good quality for a buffet.

For dessert I had 2 Oreo bon-bons (amazing!) and a little cheesecake and a cookie. The restaurant wasn't particularly crowded or noisy (no waits for food). I would definitely recommend if you're looking for a non-character dinner buffet.

50's Prime Time Café

The lobby of this restaurant was so crowded! I waited about 15 minutes and was then seated at the same time as another couple, so our server kind of lumped us together (saying we were cousins). Our server wasn't as good (character-wise; he was fine as far as servers go) as the one in a nearby section, but he was good enough.

I decided to pass on having a milkshake as a beverage because of all the desserts I was eating, so I got a Diet Coke flavored with cherry syrup...so good! I started with the fried herb cheese appetizer, which was fantastic! I normally don't like/eat cheese, but I wanted the bread and fruit it came with, and tried some, and I really liked it! I forgot to ask what type it was.

While waiting between the appetizer and main dish I called my parents, and another server saw me and looked horrified that I was on the phone at the dinner table. He then took my phone and talked to my parents. It was very funny, and luckily my parents had been there before so understood why he did it (and luckily my minutes with my parents are free!). It was the most amusing part of the meal (and also goes to show that you should have a sense of humor to eat here!).

I had the pot roast which was excellent! I was angry when I become full because it meant I couldn't finish it. I then had the smores for dessert, which were okay. I kind of wished I had gotten the ice cream sundae after seeing it!

Overall it was a good meal, but I wouldn't rush to go back; so many other places to try first.

Boma

This was the only restaurant out of all of them that I had been to before. The waiting area was crowded, but it was quiet where I sat. My server was not good about taking plates away and refilling my soda, but the food made up for the lack of service. I tried a little of nearly everything and loved everything I tried (which was bad: I ate way too much!!). Highlights were the coconut seafood stew, the butternut squash soup, the couscous, the spiced potatoes, and the seasoned vegetables. And of course zebra domes and fruit tart for dessert. I would absolutely go back, even though my server wasn't top-notch. I think the food is THAT good (especially for a buffet).

Wolfgang Puck Café

When I went to check-in they told me it would be 15-20 minutes, but if I was willing to sit in the bar area I could be seated right away. Fine with me!

My server took a while to come over, but she was very pleasant. I ordered the egg rolls to start and they took forever to come. My server kept reassuring me they were coming, so she was good and attentive, and obviously a slow kitchen wasn't her fault. The egg rolls were good and hot. I only ate 2 out of 4 of them.

For my main dish I had the sausage pizza. Very good! And so big! I only ate 2 of the 6 slices. Dessert was carrot cake, which was roughly the size of my head. It came with really good spiced pecans. I hate about half the slice and had the rest wrapped. Needless to say I walked out with a quite a few boxes!

Overall a very good meal. I would go back. Plus it's great if you have a craving for pizza (and don't like the kinds they have in the parks).

Biergarten

I knew going into this that I would be seated with strangers. Luckily I wound up with a very nice group! One group of 5 adults who live and work in Orlando and were doing a company outing, and an older couple on their 33rd wedding anniversary. This made the meal quite nice, as I had been eating alone. It was the first meal I lingered over an hour at.

I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant; the German town was lovely and the entertainment was great, albeit a bit loud. This was the cheapest meal of my trip, and you get a show with it.

I thought the food, however, was just okay. I didn't care for most of the meats, but loved the roasted chicken, potato salad, and pretzel rolls. The Bavarian cheesecake for dessert was divine, but I didn't care for the chocolate cake with the cherries in it. Our server was good about refills and clearing away plates.

I don't think I'd eat here again just because the food wasn't my cup of tea. Plus I'd be nervous about bad tablemates. But I'm glad I tried it.

Concourse Steakhouse

I had a fairly short wait and then was seated at the worst possible table: right at the entrance, next to the podium and the display menu. I immediately expressed my discontent and they moved me to a much better table under the monorail. It was actually much quieter over there!

My server was efficient. Not overly friendly. She wanted all my food orders right away, but I told her I didn't know about dessert yet.

I started with the mozzarella and tomato salad which I loved! I'm not big on cheese usually, and I'm not sure what the marinade was, but it was so good! It went well with the rolls they brought out.

I got the strip steak for my main dish which was cooked a bit more well than I'd like, but was tender enough so it didn't need to be sent back. I got that steak because it came with both potatoes and veggies, which the others steaks didn't. And the best part of the meal were the mashed potatoes! Oh my good! I'm told they're the same ones at Chef Mickey's. I could have made an entire meal of just those potatoes! The broccoli was good, too.

I had carrot cake for dessert which was good. I couldn't finish the steak nor the dessert but didn't get anything wrapped up.

I'm told this place is closing soon, so I guess I won't be going back! Maybe I should try Chef Mickey's so I can get more potatoes. ;)

Kona Café

I checked in at the podium and they told me it would be 15 minutes, but my buzzer went off after 30 seconds! I had literally just walked over to the gift shop when it went off.

My server was friendly and good with refills. I loved the bread they brought out, and especially the sweet butter that was with it!

I started with crab cakes which were so good! And real crab! And there was a lot more crab than breading! If it weren't for the dining plan I never would have gotten them (since they were nearly $12).

I had steak here which had a teriyaki glaze. So good! I liked it better than the mushroom filet at Le Cellier. But after Concourse I didn't think the mashed potatoes were as good! It also came with steamed broccoli, which was great, as I hadn't been eating nearly enough vegetables while in Disney.

For dessert I had the apple brown betty, which was so good! Piping hot and the ice cream was in a separate dish so it didn't melt. But it was so big it looked like I hadn't eaten any at all before I was too stuffed to take another bite.

I'd definitely return.

chechas
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
thanks for the reviews!!! I haven't tried a couple of those restaurants so now I will be thinking about including some into my December trip! Made me hungry reading it! LOL

disneydrmr
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Sounds like you have some excellent meals and being free made that all the sweeter!!! Thanks for reviewing these places.. you've got me wanting to try a few of them now!

dmallan
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you for sharing! I was especially interested in hearing about the large portions. It confirms my thinking that we will be sharing some meals when we are there in January. I think it would be more than enough food if two of us were to order 1 appetizer, 1 entree and 1 dessert to share.

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Great reviews, thanks. I felt the same about Le Cellier, good but not all that.

pixiegoose
09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the reviews! We're trying a few (50s Primetime, Kona, Wolfgang Puck's) of those for the first time next week and re-visiting Biergarten (well, I've eaten there before- DH hasn't). Glad to hear you enjoyed them!

3 days to go! :mickey:

gardenia
09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
My mouth was actually watering from reading your reviews. Having eaten at many of the same restaurants, I agree almost point-for-point with your reviews! Thanks for posting them.

January-2007
09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
We will be dining at quite a few of these restaurants so I'm glad to read such positive reviews! Thanks so much for sharing!

Oh, and I just have to mention, how funny is it that when we ate at the Cape May Clambake in June the line for the buffet was way long and you went during Free Dining and you didn't have to wait! Too funny! Just goes to show you never really can tell.

Crow
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
great reviews. glad to see someone else not afraid to do solos.

tinksmom02
09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Great reviews-thanks for sharing!! Sounds like you had some great eats on your trip!

It confirms my thinking that we will be sharing some meals when we are there in January. I think it would be more than enough food if two of us were to order 1 appetizer, 1 entree and 1 dessert to share.

For your info, the 2008 DDP is minus the appetizer and the gratuity. You'll only get 1 entree and 1 dessert (plus drink), starting January 1. But you'll pay a whole dollar less! ;)

dmallan
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
For your info, the 2008 DDP is minus the appetizer and the gratuity. You'll only get 1 entree and 1 dessert (plus drink), starting January 1. But you'll pay a whole dollar less! ;)

Thanks for the heads up, but we will not be on the DDP. I just didn't think we could eat that much food!

illini
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
i ~really~ shouldn't have read this. after your cs review, my stomach rumbled. it's even more insistent now! lol.

though i'm sorry you didn't love le cellier, i'm a little relieved for me. i've been second-guessing deciding not to eat there. a so-so review makes me feel a little better.

what i really think i need to do is to make a second ADR for kona. it sounds SO yummy!

thanks for sharing!

SgtTigger
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Thank you for taking the time to type your reviews........

:cop: :tigger:

iheartmickey
09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you for sharing your reviews of all your dinning. I'm looking forward to trying the Concourse Stakehouse before it closes. I'll have to remember the potatoes! :thumbsup:

I think now I might have to try the Kona Cafe ... it was one I wanted to try but got pushed to next time. :( Maybe I'll sneak over by myself for a meal. :D LOL!

Thank you again for all your great reports! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for giving your review. Kind of makes me hungry. lol