PDA

View Full Version : Solo Trip Labor Day Week - 9 of 9

AvonleaCF
09-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Day 9, Sunday, September 9

Cast: Me, 24-years-young
Resort: Port Orleans Riverside

I woke up at 6am and got ready to leave. Luckily I thought ahead the night before, and, tired as I was, had stopped by the Riverside Mill to grab a sandwich that I could have for breakfast (they don't start serving breakfast until 7am and that's when my bus was leaving, and by this point in the trip I was tired of bakery items, which is what they serve starting at 6am). I had packed the night before as well so it was just a matter of throwing the last few things in my bag and then wheeling over to the lobby.

The walk to the lobby one last time was bittersweet. It was still dark out and really quiet and peaceful and beautiful. I know I'll return to Riverside some day (though I first want to try out other moderates, just to be sure).

Check-out was a breeze (took about 30 seconds) and checking into my flight was equally easy. I was nervous about checking my bag with them, but I also didn't want to have to lug it through the airport.

The ride to the airport was quick and JetBlue was the first drop. I went straight through to security and was at the gate by 8am (more than 2 hours before my 10:10am flight!). I guess Disney doesn't want to take any chances.

Oh and guess what they had at the airport Disney store? Cat bowls! ;)

Final thoughts:

-Doing a solo trip is great because you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it. I chose the resort, my ADRs, how many days in the parks, what rides, and everything else. Only downside is it would have been nice to share it with someone. Maybe next time.

-I can't say enough good things about Magical Journeys. Wendy took care of all the booking for me, and I loved being able to pay a bit at a time. It was so nice to check-in and check-out without displaying a credit card. And she got me free dining.

-Magical Express is a wonderful service, and pure genius on Disney's part (since without a rental car you spend all your time, and money, at Disney). I was nervous about my bag, but it arrived safe and sound in my room the day I arrived and was one of the first ones on the carousel back in New York.

-I loved the dining plan, though I wound up throwing away a lot of food because I just couldn't finish my meals. I actually think the new plan with no appetizers will be good. I also would never had eaten so many desserts. But I also would never had tried so many sit-down restaurants. It was also nice to not look at prices and not have to walk around with cash for snacks. I did spend my own money on food twice: once on a bottle of water (I didn't want to "waste" a credit on a $2 item and once to buy a sandwich the night before I left, since I was out of QS credits). And with all the junk food I ate I actually didn't gain any weight (big bonus).

-POR was absolutely lovely. Only negatives were having to share a bus with FQ, since that meant big crowds and having to make an extra stop on the way back. I also tipped Mousekeeping every day but never received any towel animals or anything special, though the room was always clean and they left tons of towels and soap and shampoo. The resort is huge but my building (Oak Manor) was conveniently located. The main swimming pool was too crowded for my liking, but the quiet pools were just fine for my needs.

-Taking a mid-day break was vital for me. I'm young and healthy and go to the gym 5 days a week, but there's something about Disney (and 95 degree weather) that takes its toll on you.

-Most days I didn't carry a bag with me in the parks. I wore men's cargo shorts and was able to fit my wallet, cell phone, Purell, Clorox wipes, camera, and raincoat (in a Ziploc bag) in my pockets. This made touring more pleasant.

-A few things I brought that were vital: Purell to quickly disinfect hands; travel-sized packets of Clorox wipes to wipe down toilets and counter service tables (I'm normally not a germaphobe but I didn't want to get sick while there and didn't want to return and then have to take more days off from being sick); and a travel-sized pack of baby wipes for my face (refreshing).

-Labor Day week was great! It was HOT (95 most days), but only rained twice (both times only for an hour or two), and it was relatively uncrowded. The first weekend was busy, but Tuesday-Saturday were as light as can be. Though the Magic Kingdom closed at 6pm two days for Night of Joy.

-I HATE cigarette smoke and it wasn't a problem at all. I never noticed it outside of designated areas, both at the parks and the resorts.

-To avoid blisters I wore both sneakers and Crocs and kept switching off. Overall the Crocs were more comfortable, but I started to get blisters under my big toes my final day.

-I was happy with my purchases. Normally I buy too much while down there and regret most of it. This year I got: the raincoat (which I've already worn back home), postcards (all my friends and family were happy to get them), an Anne of Green Gables figurine (for my collection), 3 cat bowls, cat placemat, one cat toy, a t-shirt to sleep in, and three bath bombs from Basin. Oh and word of advice: when you see something you want, GET IT! Don't assume you'll find it somewhere else because you many not and then you'll obsess over it the rest of your trip!

-Going Saturday-Sunday (8 nights) and having 7 days in the parks was too much. Next time I'd do 7 nights and 6 days in the parks. Plus this way I'd have a full day to recover before going back to work.

-I didn't see the Dream Squad once the entire trip. Nothing. Nada. Zippo.

And I'm thinking Coronado Springs for next year. :)

disneydrmr
09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports! Sounds like you had one awesome, memorable trip! That's too funny about the cat bowls being at the airport gift shop also. Thanks for sharing your trip!

quinn
09-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I was also at the parks solo Wed thru Saturday. It makes me wonder if I saw you there. I have to get my trip report up as well.

pixiegoose
09-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and now I feel like I need to get my little :cat: new bowls (last trip we got her a pet-sized Minnie princess hat- she was not impressed)! We're leaving Sunday for our Sun-Sun trip with 6 days in the parks and one day off, which sounds like it should be the perfect amount of time based on your experiences.

3 full days to go! :mickey:

faline
09-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Too funny! After all that searching, you could have bought the bowls at the airport!

Goodwife
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the great reports!
Where better to go on a solo trip than WDW?
I loved the dining reports too...:eat:
Glad you had a good vacation.

Christine
09-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I enjoyed all your reports...and I'm so relieved you got your cat bowls! :)

It sounds like you had some good "you" time!

January-2007
09-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the trip reports! 8 nights too long though? Never! :D Glad you had such a great time and the crowds were light, sounds like an absolutely lovely vacation. :mickey:

BronxTigger
09-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your reports with us.

I want to try all the moderates too. I find them to be just right. :thumbsup:

DizNee143
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
thank you so much for shring your trip with us..i really enjjoyed reading all about it!! im glad you had such a great time!! :mickey:

iheartmickey
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
You know ... I just loved reading all about your trip ... and it got me to thinking that it would be so much fun to go it alone at WDW!! It's the perfect place to go ... because their is so much to do all the time. I know you said it would have been fun to share it with someone and really you did ... you shared it with all of us! :mickey: I feel like I got to enjoy your vacation with you! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

I'm off to read your dining review now ...

Thank you again for sharing your report! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip.

ChipnDaleGal
09-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Cindy, thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into your report. Each was a fun read and it was obvious that you really enjoyed your solo trip. Hoe funny that your much searched for kitty bowls were right there at the airport. :mickey: