PDA

View Full Version : Solo Trip Labor Day Week - 1 of 9

AvonleaCF
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Day 1, Saturday, September 1

Cast: Me, 24-years-young
Resort: Port Orleans Riverside
ADR: Le Cellier

First, a little background: I have gone to Disney World and Disneyland eleven times altogether with my family. When I first started planning this trip my friends either weren't interested, couldn't afford to go, or couldn't go the first week of September, so I made it a solo trip. This meant I did all the planning and got to make every decision. I loved it!

So I decided on POR cause it looked pretty (good a reason as any) and chose all my dinners by going through all the menus. And thanks to Wendy at Magical Journeys I got the dining plan for free. In fact, Wendy took care of everything so I didn't have to worry.

I left New York around 10am and after a very bumpy flight arrived at MCO around 12:30pm. I had no trouble finding the Magical Express and was very impressed with how smooth and easy it was. Mind you, I was paranoid about my bags, as I put the special Mickey tags on them, but it was quite nice walking through the airport and onto the bus with no luggage in tow. I was only in line for about 2 minutes when the bus for Port Orleans arrived. The bus made stops at Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, and the French Quarter before going to Riverside, but overall, it was a fairly quick ride.

The line to check in was long and slow. When my turn finally arrived I was relieved that my reservation was correct and they had a record of my pre-paying. I decided not to allow charges on my room key (just in case I dropped it somewhere). I also made a quick stop to the concierge desk to get a print-out of my dining. All was correct.

At this point it had started pouring so I went into the shop to see what sort of rain gear they had. They had one style of rain jackets for $60, and I thought of getting one, but they didn't have my size (they had up to 5XL but no Mediums!). I figured it was a sign that I shouldn't spend so much so I left and went to the food court (it was now nearly 2pm and I hadn't eaten since 6 that morning!). I got a turkey sandwich, which was the size of my head, and a Mickey rice treat for dessert. It was quite good (or maybe just good because I was starving). I didn't eat the dessert until a few days later.

By the time I finished eating the rain had cleared up (see, I told you it was a sign!) so I wandered around the resort grounds. Beautiful! I really loved it. I was placed in Oak Manor, room 9051. GREAT location; a quick walk over the bridge from the main building; a bus stop right behind; and a quiet pool right next door. I was on the first floor but never heard people walking outside my room nor above me.

It was now nearing 3pm and I wanted to get to Epcot (I had an ADR at Le Cellier for my arrival dinner), so I decided to go and try not to worry about my bag getting to my room. I took the bus from the main stop and it arrived quickly (though I quickly learned to always catch the bus from the east depot so I wouldn't have to sit through all the stops!). I got to Epcot and decided to start with the new Nemo ride, as I had never done it. It was cute. Probably the tamest ride in Disney, though. I didn't feel like waiting for Turtle Talk so I left the Seas and went to the Land. The wait for Soarin' was posted at 50 minutes but it only took about 30. I asked to sit in B1 and it was great as always. I then walked right onto the Land boat ride. It was better with a live person.

I then went on Figment, just because I was headed that way and there's never a line.

At this point it was nearly time for my ADR so I headed over to Canada. My first disappointment of the trip: I first went into the shop and they no longer have a good assortment of Anne of Green Gables merchandise (as you can tell from my user name I'm a huge fan). I wanted to get another doll but all they had were some DVDs and a coloring book and a couple of figurines of Green Gables. Boo.

I then had a wonderful meal at Le Cellier (see the dining section for a full review). I had planned on staying in Epcot through Illuminations but was just too tired, so I decided to head out. I stopped in at Mouse Gears on my way out and saw a souvenir I knew I had to have: cat bowls! I knew my kitty would love them (okay, I would love them!), but I didn't buy them, figuring I had a planned shopping day for when I got to Downtown Disney later in the trip. I did, however, find a cute rain jacket for only $30 and a set of postcards. The cast member than rang me out was so friendly!

So I then headed toward the bus and when I got back to my room was quite relieved to find my bag waiting for me. So I unpacked, showered, collapsed on the rock-hard bed, and fell asleep.

Next up: Magic Kingdom & Epcot

disneydrmr
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
A busy first day! But sounds like you got off to a fun start!

January-2007
09-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Wonderful report, thank you so much for sharing! I love Anne of Green Gables! :thumbsup:

faline
09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Good for you - going ahead with a Disney trip on your own!

I'd be tired too after a long travel day!

cal5755
09-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a fun and tiring day for you!!

iheartmickey
09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
A trip alone sounds like a lot of fun ... you get to do what you want when you want and don't have to compromise for someone elses idea of what to do! :cool: I think my next trip will be solo! :mickey:

Sounds like your getting you trip started right. Can't wait to read the rest of the reports! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
09-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm an AOGG fan too! Sounds like a great first day!

BronxTigger
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a nice first day. Off to read more!

BronxTigger
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a nice first day. I can't say I've read Anne of Green Gables yet, but I understand your disappointment. I was trying to find Classic Pooh stuffed animals (that didn't squeak!) but their selection was very limited. Boo.

Off to read more!

DizNee143
09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
what a great travel/first day!!!...
a solo trip sounds real nice!! glad your bags were in your room...im a little weary about that too...off to read about the rest of your trip!! :mickey:

WED1901
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I agree the land was better with a live CM. Sounds like a nice smooth start to your trip. :mickey:

Bethis26fan
09-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a great first day.

ChipnDaleGal
09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Sounds like your solo trip is off to a wonderful start! Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I just started reading your report and I love it already! What a neat experience, travelling by yourself! I'm really impressed! Something at 42 years old I have never done. Good for you!