PDA

View Full Version : Less Frequented Dinning options

cinderellagrl
09-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Going to Disney a couple times a year we have decided that we no longer have to visit all of our favorites (there will be another trip), so we have decided to try a few new options. I have heard little about these restaurants and was wondering what people thought about them.

Thank you!

Brown Derby
Fultons crab house
Raglan Road
Portabello Club
spoodles
maya grill
Big River Grill and Brewing company

ThanxForNoticin
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
We try to find at least one new place to eat each trip, just to see what else is available at Disney. I can only speak on a few of your choices, and will have to plan on eating at some of the others during a future trip!

Portobella Yacht Club has actually become one of our favorites. Our kids love it there. They have a nice Italian cuisine, and many of the tables there have a nice view of the lake. I would highly recommend it.

Brown Derby and Fulton's are both good, but we felt on the expensive side for the meal. I don't think we'll rush back to them again.

The others we don't know first-hand, but we do have friends who loved Spoodles, so I'm sure they would tell you to try it. Enjoy...

Kairi_7378
09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Of your choices, I have only eaten at the Brown Derby. DH had always wanted to eat there growing up, so we did it on the last trip. We got the Fantasmic Dinner package.
The food at the Derby is very good. The servers are professional and the room is elegant. It loks a little funny because the waiters are wearing white tux jackets and the patrons are all in theme park attire. :)
I thought that the portions were a little small for the price. Also, there were a lot of rammy children there on the night that we ate there.

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Here's my recent review of Raglan Road (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115311). We liked it a lot. We also had a fantastic dinner at Brown Derby.

I haven't tried the others.

ryca1dreams
09-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Going to RR in a few days so I can let you know about it when I get back.

I went when it first opened and I liked it. It has mostly "normal" fare, but some items that are a little unique. The menu doesn't look too different than it was - they just changed the names of the items. The pub interior is nice.

Polynesian Dweller
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Portabello has been one of our favorites for several years now. Even though its not on DDP we go annually. The food and the service are both great. Its worth the cost.:thumbsup:

Scotcelebrity
09-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I have personally been to Spoodles and the Big River Grill. We meet up with the rest of our family and went to Spoodles one night and it was very nice. The atmosphere is wonderful, very rustic and mediteranian. The food was good for the "grown-ups" and the four kids enjoyed some pizza. The best part is that afterwards you get to walk around the Boardwalk which is tons of fun and very beautiful. I wasn't really impressed with the Big River Grill. Typical food and we were crammed in there at a little table. I did read that they have a new chef or are being operated by a new company, so who knows it might be good.

tink2006
09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I can only comment on Brown Derby - sorry. This is one of our favorites! Yes, it is a little pricey but the food is excellent, the service impeccable, atmosphere perfect. Combined with the Fantasmic package, a wonderful evening :thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I love Portabellos. We went there the first time 2 years ago and were pleasantly surprised by the food & service - both were fabulous!

Big River is eh - it's good if you like micro-brew but the menu is nothing spectacular and I would say it's a little below ESPN as far as quality.

like2workout
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
The Brown Derby is my favorite restaurant in all of Disney! I never miss it. You should definitely try it. And if the patio is open, it's great to eat outside there.

princessM0m
09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
The BD is a little pricey so I celebrated a birthday with lunch there instead of dinner. I love Cobb Salad and I HAD to try the grapefruit cake (very unusual!). It was very good and the service was great. We got there early for our ADR and they seated us almost immediately. My DD had the mac & cheese and it was awesome.

dog-ears
09-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I have personally been to Spoodles and the Big River Grill. We meet up with the rest of our family and went to Spoodles one night and it was very nice. The atmosphere is wonderful, very rustic and mediteranian. The food was good for the "grown-ups" and the four kids enjoyed some pizza. The best part is that afterwards you get to walk around the Boardwalk which is tons of fun and very beautiful. I wasn't really impressed with the Big River Grill. Typical food and we were crammed in there at a little table. I did read that they have a new chef or are being operated by a new company, so who knows it might be good.

I agree with Scot - these are the two we have been to and we had the same thoughts. If you like beer, Big River Grill used to make some of their own drafts, though not sure if this is still the case or not. Despite it's name, it's a small restaurant.

Spoodles is yummy! But I do miss the breakfast buffet they used to have.

#1donaldfan
09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Maya Grill is very good.....Fulton's is awesome......you'll like both.....