PDA

View Full Version : *We're not the Jet set! Question??

grammy3
09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Hello All,

We are all booked for Nov vacation - room, dining plan w/adrs and flight. Yea!:thumbsup: We have only flown one time in our lives and that was prior to 9/11. I am a bit nervous about the flying thing but it will be better on DH so off we will go. My question is what to expect at the airport. It has been awhile since that 1st flying experience and I don't remember much about the check in or anything else for that matter :blush: I think I may have been a bit nervous then too.:confused: I know we have to be early but will there be some sort of instructions/directions to tell us where to check luggage and where to go to security? I know this seems like silly questions but we are not "world travelers" mostly WDW:mickey: Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I will remember more next time;)
Thanks,

Grammy3+1

vamaggie
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Get to the airport at least 90 minutes prior to your flight time, longer if you are traveling at a busy time (like T-giving). Check the airport website to see if there is curbside baggage check for your airline. If so, that is often a lot easier than doing it inside. The security area should be very clearly marked (if in doubt, look for a long line!). Once at security, you will need to have your ID and boarding pass out to show(keep them handy til you board the plane). You will need to take off shoes and put all carry ons, coats, etc through the x-ray machine and you will have to walk through yourself. Once through security it is fairly easy. There are usually a lot of airport folks to help direct if you need it. Also, check out the TSA website for info about what you can and cannot carry on board (new regs since 9/11 and they seem to change all the time!) Have a great trip and enjoy all the extra time in WDW that flying will allow you!!

MNNHFLTX
09-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Those are very valid questions, especially if you haven't flown in a while.

If your airline gives you the option, you can always check-in from home (usually 24 hours in advance of a flight), using the airline's website and then printing out your boarding passes. You would then just need to check your baggage at the airport, typically at an airline kiosk. This can save some time. If you need/want to check in at the airport, just go to the terminal your airline is at and proceed to the airline check-in counter. Many airlines will take your baggage for security and loading then and there at check-in, but some will direct you to take the tagged baggage to another area where it will be handed over to security and then be loaded onto your flight (I know they do this sometimes in the Orlando airport). You can also check your luggage curbside at many airports using the skycaps, which can be convenient. Just take note that it is customary to tip them.

After that you and your carry on bags will go through the security line. Have your ID and boarding pass in hand at all times. Once you get up to the scanners, take a bin and put your shoes, laptops or other electronics (must be take out of their case), loose metal items and your plastic bag with your liquids in it (carry-on requirements are that all containers with liquids or gels must be 3 oz or less and contained within one quart-sized plastic bag). Purses or carry-ons must be placed on their sides to go through the scanner. Coats and jackets must also be taken off and put through the scanner. As your items are going through the machine, stand in front of the walk-through scanner and wait to be told to proceed through. If the alarm goes off, you will be asked to check your pockets for anything that might have triggered it; they may also use a handheld scanner as a final check. Some people also remove their belt as a precaution before walking through, but I have never had a problem with a belt setting off an alarm.

Now you can pick up your carry-ons at the end of the conveyor belt, put your shoes back on and proceed to the gate. There you will have to show your boarding pass to load and may have to show your ID again (it depends on the airline).

It is recommended that you arrive at the airport at least 1-2 hours before your flight and required (I believe) that you check in at least 30 minutes before a flight (domestic flights).

There are usually plenty of signs about to direct you, but if in doubt ask an airline or airport employee and I'm sure they will guide you through the process.

raevnzno
09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
unless your comming from a very small airport, 2 hours before your scheduled departure time is a much better arrival time. this will give you plenty of time to get checked in and get through the security checkpoint without any problems. You have to remember that if your flight is supposed to depart at 10a for example, they will begin boarding that flight at 930a ......10 is when the plane will be pulling away from the gate. It is always better to be the passenger calmly sitting in the waiting area watching the hurried, frazzled latecomers almost miss their flight than being one of the frazzled latecomers being watched.
Most emportantly, enjoy your trip! :beer::thumbsup:

Deansgal85
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Very detailed advice here!! I have only flown twice in my life and of course am a little nervous about flying to WDW on our trip in a few weeks....but everything always seems to work out!! I don't bring a carry-on...just for the fact it is a hassle to get through security sometimes. Are you taking the Magical Express from Orlando airport?? If you are then you don't have to worry about getting to baggage claim to get your bags...they will do it for you! Have a safe and fun trip!;)

grammy3
09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks to all of you for your great advice,:number1: I know we will be fine. We are flying into Sanford Airport. I know it will not be as convienent but it was a whole lot cheaper plus we got free car rental.:D

Again many thanks!

64 more days!!

Grammy3+1

nicole48040
09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
One more thing to avoid any embarrassment......if anyone in your party usually wears underwire bras, make sure they wear a wireless one for the airport.

faline
09-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Many things have changed since you last flew.

First, I'd suggest that you explore the web site of your airline. Most airlines post detailed information that will help you through check in and passing through security.

Secondly, I'd suggest you check out the TSA website for detailed information on what you can transport in your carry on luggage and/or checked luggage.

When I travel, I put aside one small bag for those liquids that can't be carried on any more. I check this bag.

For those essential liquids and gels you must carry one, get some 1-quart zip-lock bags. You are allowed one per passenger. Pack this with liquids that weigh less than 3 ounces.

Double check all your carry-ons for any prohibited items. My husband once threw a swiss army knife into my carry-on without thinking. Fortunately, I caught it before we arrived at the ariport.

Be sure you have picture ID with you. I usually bring our passports.

Expect to remove your shoes as you go through security. I try to wear shoes that I can take off easily and socks so I don't need to wander around barefoot.

If you are bringing a video camera expect that you will need to unpack it while going through security.

If you are traveling with small children, be sure they know they will need to put their treasured dollies, etc. through a special machine that will help make sure they are all ready to travel on the plane. I've seen many children at the airport very upset about having to part with treasured stuffed animals, etc. while it goes through the screening machine.

Be polite. If you don't know something, ask. I've found most agents to be incredibly professional and polite.

tinksmom02
09-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Those are very valid questions, especially if you haven't flown in a while.

If your airline gives you the option, you can always check-in from home (usually 24 hours in advance of a flight), using the airline's website and then printing out your boarding passes. You would then just need to check your baggage at the airport, typically at an airline kiosk.

It is recommended that you arrive at the airport at least 1-2 hours before your flight and required (I believe) that you check in at least 30 minutes before a flight (domestic flights).

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was curious about this anyway...

If you check-in online at home, and are planning on using curbside baggage check in, are you still advised to arrive 2 hours early for your flight?

Last trip we arrived at the airport before 6am for and 8:30 am flight (DH motto: "It's better to be three hours early than 30 seconds late!") and were all checked in by 6:30. Which left us 2 hours of wandering around the airport. Our flight next Sat is 8:05; do we really need to be there by 6am if we're checking in online?

faline
09-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Generally, I still aim to arrive 2 hours before my flight. It gives me a buffer in case:
* Traffic is bad on the way to the airport
* There are long lines to check your luggage
* There are long lines or other holdups at security.

Mostly, it gives me more time than I need to hang out at the airport waiting to board but I'd rather have this time at the airport than sitting in a traffic jam with 3 miles to go and five minutes to flight time!

martinfamily5
09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
We always arrive at the airport at least 2 hrs early. There is always a long line at security. Also, before you could check in on-line, we went one time and stood in line trying to get checked in for about an hour and a half. That stressed my DH a great deal. DH feels like his vacation starts when we get to the airport so for him the sooner the better.

MNNHFLTX
09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Our flight next Sat is 8:05; do we really need to be there by 6am if we're checking in online?

Checking in online usually does save some time and you would save further time if you checked your luggage curbside. But you might want to call your airline to make sure they offer curbside baggage servce, as not all do.

To be honest with you, if it was up to me I would get to the airport about an hour early and would still feel comfortable. But my husband is always nervous about making the flight and so we try to get there two hours early. I guess it depends on your situation. If traffic to the airport, parking and those types of things are never a problem, or if it's a small airport, you would probably be fine arriving a bit later. But of course, it's better to be at the airport too early than too late!