PDA

View Full Version : Ohana or Boma?

Tink&Goofy
09-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Its almost time to make ADRs, and we want to try something new. I can't decide between Ohana and Boma. We had planned Ohanas last time, but never made it. This time we are spending the first couple nights at AKV.
I would like to try both - but are they too similar since both seem to be alot of meat dishes? If I only choose one, which one? The oldest DD has acquired quite the taste for fine meats (boy was that a mistake to get her started!). The younger two will likely be able to find something they like at either place. Suggestions?

Mickey 101
09-12-2007, 12:10 AM
My kids are teenagers and their favorite restaurant on property is 'Ohana. You could try one for breakfast and one for dinner, though. Boma has an excellent breakfast buffet. Have a great trip! :mickey:

Natazu
09-12-2007, 01:26 AM
We go to 'Ohana pretty much every trip. We go to Boma about every other trip. I guess that means we like 'Ohana better but I think Rachel likes Boma more. I know this, whenever I look at the "daily schedule" onsite, I'm never disappointed when I see 'Ohana on the schedule.

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 09:10 AM
They are both excellent choices.The food is better at Boma, though also really good at 'Ohana. 'Ohana is more entertaining. The atmosphere is great at both.

Choose 'Ohana if: your family is not as adventurous and prefers meat and potatoes meals. Or if the MK location is more convenient. 'Ohana has a set meal that comes to the table in courses and features skewered meats, ends in one fabulous dessert.

Choose Boma if: Your family loves to try new things and likes to have a lot of variety. Or if the AK location is more convenient or you just want a chance to check out AKL. Boma is an amazing buffet (and we're not buffet fans but we loved it) with over 72 different items to try and a lot of really great food.

ThanxForNoticin
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Our 2 favorite restaurants at WDW. To choose just one is tough, but you really won't be disappointed with either.

Personally, I don't think the menus are all that similar, if you decide to try both. At Boma, we love to eat the soups and specialty dishes - you could probably enjoy the entire dinner at Boma and not eat much meat. Boma also has a much wider variety of desserts. 'OHana is such a fun dinner with lots and lots of food to enjoy, but is mostly for folks who enjoy eating meat. Your 3 kids might enjoy some of the activities they run at 'OHana, like the coconut races and the hula dancing. Enjoy, whichever you choose!

illini
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not a huge Boma fan (ducking those flames!). I found most items to be pretty bland and not nearly as good as other authentic African food that I've had. The prime rib, though, was ~incredible~. A hundred times better than the rubbery stuff they pass off as prime rib at most WDW buffets. That could have been a fluke, though. Soups were pretty good.
'Ohana is tons of fun. I ~really~ enjoy the appetizers and salad. I'm not a big fan of meat, so that's no great shakes for me. But we're going to 'Ohana on this trip, and not Boma.
The restaurants really aren't similar in any way, so it wouldn't hurt to do both on the same trip.

KarenP
09-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I have eaten at both and my vote is for 'Ohana.

Disney Doll
09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I would do both if you can. We did both last trip and I didn't feel that they were all that similar. Boma is a buffet so what you get is really up to you. There are plenty of meat choices, but if you're on meat overload from Ohana, Boma has plenty of other options. If you can only do one, I'd suggest Ohana. It is my all time favorite Disney restaurant. I really like both places, but Ohana is definitely the more popular choice with my family. We have some picky eaters in our group and while they can find plenty of "normal" food at Boma, it kind of takes the fun out of it if you're not trying the ethnic cuisine.

jiifigment
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
We did both last week. Love them both, and they're completely different! Given that you're staying at AKL, I'd definitely do them both unless you HAVE to choose. The only other way I'd advise against Boma is if you can't stand cinnamon! They seem to use it a lot in their side dishes. It's great to me, but I can see why some people wouldn't care for it. The meats there are great! :cool:

Now I'm hungry....:eat:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
My husband and I are trying both restaurants this year in November. Ohanas on Nov.11th and Bomas on Nov.14th. Can' wait to try them.
53 days and counting...........:mickey:

limegreenmonorail
09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I would go with Ohana. It'll just provide you with a more fun and entertaining evening for your family, in my opinion, plus great food. Try to get reservations during Wishes...it's cool to watch the show from the restaurant.

Boma, I think, has the best breakfast buffet in Disney. Probably in the whole entire world, really. But dinner...well, it's great food, but we're a pretty picky family, and we're just not crazy about the abundance of African spices there. It is a lot more variety in food, though, if that's something you're looking for.

tinksmom02
09-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Tough choice! We're trying both in TEN DAYS!

Sorry :blush: little excited!

Anyway, I think their menus are pretty different, and you'll get a different experience at each. Personally, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one!

GhostHost999
09-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I gotta toss in a vote for Ohana. There's plenty of food, a killer view if you go when the sun is setting...a *very* friendly group of folks working there, and just a loose, fun atmosphere. Love that place.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-13-2007, 11:04 PM
We have the exact same dilema, so using the wisdom of Solomon our decision was easy, we're doing both!:party:

Samtastic
09-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Boma boma boma!!

3 votes for Boma, haha. I'm an adventurous eater and I loved boma. I love having choices and it was so good!! Plus yummy yummy desserts. I'm going to Jan and am going to Boma and decided to try Kona over Ohana. I've never been to either, but I'm not a super Meat fan, so I prefer Boma!

Cinderelley
09-15-2007, 03:29 AM
I love O'hana's. Just tried Boma's last week. The food was good, the service wasn't. If you can squeeze in both, I would try both. If not, go for O'hana's.

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Ohana's!!! Boma is different and yummy, but Ohana's is an experience. Its consistently fun. consistently yummy. An event, not just a good meal for us! Always a must do. We feel like we're finally home when we sit down to Ohanas!

Laysout4it
09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
We just returned from our Labor Day week trip. Tried both places for the first time. I believe they are different enough that you could include both on your trip and it not seem too similar. Lots of meat at 'Ohana, delicious salad, veggies, shrimp, potatoes, and fabulous dessert. Boma had a tremendous amount of selections to choose from and different tastes from 'Ohana. At Boma: Mac & cheese, prime rib, chicken fingers, fries, spaghetti, salad, soups, cookies and zebra domes for those that might be a little picky or hesitant to try new things. 'Ohana is a litte more straight forward in what you are served and knowing what it is.
Recommend both!

PetefromRI
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Ohana for us.We also weren't thrilled with Boma and I know this won't make me popular but we'll never eat there again.The food just didn't do it for us.The 2 restaurants are really nothing at all alike and if possible try both.The sheer numbers of people on these boards seem to love Boma so don't take my advice,try it for yourself.

spoonful of sugar
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
can't wait to try ohana myself. i will be honeymooning at wdw october 28-november 4 and booked ohana for dinner as a surprise dinner for my husband. have heard so many great praises on everything about the place. so can't wait!!

pox24
09-18-2007, 11:39 AM
:thumbsup:Both

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
can't wait to try ohana myself. i will be honeymooning at wdw october 28-november 4 and booked ohana for dinner as a surprise dinner for my husband. have heard so many great praises on everything about the place. so can't wait!!

:wishes::bride::groom::tink:
"Congratulations" on your upcoming honeymoon. My husband and I also stayed there on our honeymoon in 1997. You'll love it! We had a tower view overlooking the castle. This year we'll be celebrating our ten year anniv. at the POP. ( Nov. 7th thru 17th ). We're going on a belated trip. ( actual anniv. 10/18th. We wanted to see the XMAS decorations going up at the parks and hotels. MVMCP on Nov. 12th can't wait!:santa:

May524
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
If I could only pick 1, I would go to O'hana. I love them both...but I would choose O'hanas. I love the dinner and getting a lapu lapu with dinner is awesome. :marg:

Sinewiz
10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Tough call as I enjoy both. That said, I am staying at the Poly come October 31st and I am not eating at O'hanas this trip but I do have reservations at Bomas. Should add that I am taking in the Luau dinner while there though. If I could only do one though I would take Bomas as it's my personal favorite of all the restaurants at Disney. But hey don't worry, you cant go wrong with either. :thumbsup:

youngOx96
10-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I would try both if you can manage. Like a lot of others have already said, the two restaurants are pretty different. The prime rib is EXCELLENT at Boma, plus I really enjoyed the other non-meat choices. The Olive Hummus was worthy of three return trips to the buffet line for me.:D My only gripe about Boma was the dessert selection - I didn't feel like there was enough to choose from. I guess that's why I had the Crab Soup as my dessert course.

Ohana is VERY entertaining. The appetizers and salad are very good. Just thinking about those wings makes me hungry! The meat selections at Ohana were just okay for me. Maybe I was too caught up in all of the appetizers to really care about the meat, I don't know. Anyway, the dessert here is GREAT, if you like Banana Bread Pudding ala mode.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your decision.

MouseHouser
10-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I vote both. These are 2 of the very best out of so many great Disney restaurants, imo. And the two resorts are practically theme parks in themselves.

jsw123
10-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I vote both, too. These were our two favorite meals when we went in July. The staff and atmosphere at O'hana is so friendly! Food at both places is great, more exotic at Boma, which we liked.

Also---if you do Boma you can look around the AKL, although you said you were staying there, didn't you. Well, for people who aren't, it's a huge benefit to Boma. Go out back and see all the animals. It was great!:mickey:

emerzmom
10-14-2007, 05:27 PM
We love O'hana. One of our "must do" places for every trip! Boma is nice but I think the food is not as good as O'hana and the view from O'hana's is wonderful.

kim1st
10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
I would go with Ohana. It'll just provide you with a more fun and entertaining evening for your family, in my opinion, plus great food. Try to get reservations during Wishes...it's cool to watch the show from the restaurant.

Can you really do this? Do you have to have a table around the perimeter or is it visible all around?

We love O'hana. One of our "must do" places for every trip! Boma is nice but I think the food is not as good as O'hana and the view from O'hana's is wonderful.

This is the first I've heard of O'hana as a "view" restaurant...is it up high? Big windows?

I'm thinking this might move to my "must do" list for our next trip. :eat:

Natazu
10-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Can you really do this? Do you have to have a table around the perimeter or is it visible all around?

This is the first I've heard of O'hana as a "view" restaurant...is it up high? Big windows?

I'm thinking this might move to my "must do" list for our next trip. :eat:
'Ohana has something not entirely unlike a moderate view of Wishes. I wouldn't count on getting one of the few tables with a clear view. Go for the food, stay for the family fun. Remember, "Ohana" means "$27.99 plus tax and tip".