PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green?

Tigger&Stitch
09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone. I've searched through the forums to get as much info as I can about Shades of Green, but still have some questions.

We are planning a large Magical Gathering next year, and some of our friends are considering staying at SOG. I'd like to summarize the practical pros and cons for them to help them make that decision.

I should mention that we are planning our trip for early September - when the rates are lowest and when the dining plan is often free.

So far, I've gathered that:

1) SOG cannot buy a Magic Your Way Package (and therefore no dining plan - paid or free).
2) SOG does not participate in Magical Express
3) SOG can participate in extra magic hours

Questions still open:

1) Can SOG use their room keys to charge purchases to their rooms?
2) Can SOG have purchases from parks delievered to SOG resort?
3) I assume SOG won't help us qualify for Magical/Grand Gathering - but can they participate in dinners etc?

Any other practical tips would be great! Thanks! :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
09-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi,
So far, what you've gathered is correct. SOG is not a Disney resort even though it's on property, so if you're staying there, you won't qualify for Magic Your Way, the dining plan, or Magical express.

You can't charge with your room key, but purchases can be delivered to the front desk. I don't know much about the Magical Gatherings, but the sponsor can reserve up to three additional rooms at the same terrific price.

SOG isn't 24/7 Disney. It's located up the hill across from the Poly, and right in the middle of those championship golf courses. It's quiet, and beautiful, but close enough to hear the train whistle, and see the fireworks from the front of the building. You'll give up some of the "perks" in exchange for a 4 1/2 * deluxe resort at value prices. That makes up for the dining plan IMHO any day of the week. Sept. is a WONDERFUL time to visit. Wherever you stay, I hope you have a terrific time.

Go to www.shadesofgreen.org and click on the slideshow - then decide.:thumbsup:

BronxTigger
09-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi! I don't know about the Magical Gatherings either, but you can send packages back to SOG. You can't use your room key to charge though. (You can charge with your room key at the restaurants at SOG though.)

Here are my photos from my August 2006 stay. (http://travel.webshots.com/album/558501382rQIlcj)

Oh....Check SOG's website....you may be able to reserve up to 6 rooms if it's not Christmas time. I thought I read that somewhere but double check that.

jrpersinger
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Oh....Check SOG's website....you may be able to reserve up to 6 rooms if it's not Christmas time. I thought I read that somewhere but double check that.

They only allowed us to book 4 rooms (in June) and that was going threw the group relations person. Our room, plus 3 others. Also, if you are booking multiple rooms and there are people of different rank, for some reason they book at the higher rank. I suppose you could just leave out that fact. But they did ask if DH was the only military person and when we said no, they wanted both DH and my brothers rank, even tho all the rooms were actually in my name. But their ranks we both in Cat 2, so it didn't make a difference for us either way.

As for Magical Gatherings, YES you can do them. You have to call SOG guest services and they will give you a number to call and another number to give for conformation.

wdwfansince75
09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I was told that each qualified person (ID card holder) can make up to 4 (own room plus 3). I specifically asked if that means that I can make a reservation for 4 rooms, and my wife can make a reservation for 4 more.....answer was, "Yes!"

....If more than one person in party qualifies, rate is that for highest rank in that reservation.

We were able to have items from DtD and parks delivered to hotel, but delivery may not be same day.....Therefore, recommend that you not have packages forwarded on day before you leave. But remember, all park stores do provide delivery to gate, so you don't have to drag your packages around the park.

You can pay for some really nice meals with the savings on rooms and tickets....and you can still make ADR's up to 6 months before first day of your trip.

ibrowse17
09-12-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.shadesofgreen.org/
Try this, and have a great stay:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Pretty much everything you asked has been answered, but I'd like to add a couple of things:

IF one person buys an AP you MIGHT be able to get a discount on a room, I say MIGHT because nothing is guaranteed.

IF one person buys an AP you can get the DDE card and save 20% on most restaurants (includes alcohol too).

Buying tickets at SOG is a little bit of a discount (no taxes on tickets), so that is a plus if you want to look at it that way.....there are also tickets called Stars & Stripes that are length of stay tickets and are even less expensive that park hoppers.

As a lot of people have directed you....check out the SOG website.....it will help you make some decisions I think.

My DH wants to stay at the WL also, until I tell him the prices of the rooms, then he says, "call shades and book us a room"......the prices of their rooms are really a no brainer if you are eligilbe for a stay there.

Tigger&Stitch
09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone, for your input. Will definitely have to call about the Magical Gathering inclusion.

I'm sure with the price savings, our friends will definitely want to stay at SOG (may even be some golfers among them!)

As for us, we are willing to spend the $$ on WL, as it will be our 2 year wedding anniversary, and as we live in New Zealand now, we want the full-on theming etc.