PDA

View Full Version : Did 'Ohana ditch the prawns/shrimp?

deva
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I remember going to 'Ohana back in 1998 and loving it, primarily because of the huge skewers of prawns. As I look at their menu on allears.net, it does not list the prawns as part of the menu.

Has anyone been there lately? Are the prawns gone?

Please help.

Jared
09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
The shrimp is no longer an entree served on skewers with the turkey, steak and pork. Sweet-and-sour shrimp is now an appetizer served in its shell on a plate.

It's still good, but I really liked the grilled shrimp before the menu change.

deva
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks DisneyNut.

Good thing I double-checked. I'm taking 'Ohana off of my list for consideration as I was all about the shrimp.

Jared
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks DisneyNut.

Good thing I double-checked. I'm taking 'Ohana off of my list for consideration as I was all about the shrimp.
'Ohana is still one of my favorite restaurants, despite the menu change. The appetizer shrimp is tasty, and you can have multiple plates.

Lacy
09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I never ate at O'Hana before the menu change so I can't compare the grilled shrimp to the shrimp they serve now. But I can assure you that the shrimp that comes with the meal now is quite tasty :tasty: I actually prefer the chicken wings and shrimp to the meat that they bring around on the skewers. I tend to fill up on the appetizers and delicious potatoes and try to save plenty of room for the banana's foster bread pudding. So I wouldn't remove O'Hana from your list without trying the new menu selections.

mook3y
09-11-2007, 11:38 PM
I never ate at O'Hana before the menu change so I can't compare the grilled shrimp to the shrimp they serve now. But I can assure you that the shrimp that comes with the meal now is quite tasty :tasty: I actually prefer the chicken wings and shrimp to the meat that they bring around on the skewers. I tend to fill up on the appetizers and delicious potatoes and try to save plenty of room for the banana's foster bread pudding. So I wouldn't remove O'Hana from your list without trying the new menu selections.

I am in the same boat with Lacy. Never had the grilled shrimp. sounds yummy. But the shrimp they serve now is not tiny shrimp. would guess the size is 17 - 22 range and are yummy.

DizneyRox
09-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I find it tacky to serve Peel and Eat shrimp at a restaurant. Maybe it's just me, but seems like a way to cheap out.

ThanxForNoticin
09-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I find it tacky to serve Peel and Eat shrimp at a restaurant. Maybe it's just me, but seems like a way to cheap out.

Really? Not us - we love the 'all-you-can-eat' shrimp. I already eat too much of it. If I didn't have to slow down to peel it first, I'd be in big trouble!

We did enjoy the shrimp on the skewers on the old menu. We do miss them, but the new way of serving the shrimp is very good, too.

DizneyRox
09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
"All you can eat!" and "Peel and Eat" are two different things. By making the customer "prepare" the food before eating, you are banking that they will get tired of doing that and stop. I like peel and eat shrimp as much as the next person, and it's not the end of the world.

I'm just pointing out that the dining plan has significantly impacted the value, and I think quality, of the food served at WDW.

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 02:04 PM

I agree with you. Cheap!

Here we go again...
09-12-2007, 03:32 PM

I guess I never even thought about it...
Here in Louisiana we eat seafood that we have to peel all the time... Shrimp, crawfish, crabs... what ever. It is a part of life for us. I could probably peel and eat shrimp faster than most people could eat shrimp that is already peeled. :D

Anyway, to the OP,
The shrimp is very good. I liked it the old way, but at times it seemed dried out. 'Ohana is on our to do list every trip.