PDA

View Full Version : What do you Think of Saratoga Springs?

cinderellagrl
09-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Our plans for new years had to be revised due to the drought in Michigan (my dad is a farmer, less rain= less yield). As a result our ressies at the Cont. had to be cancelled and for a third less of the price we can stay at Saratoga Springs. We all have a few reservations though. For the last few years we have been living the "deluxe" disney dream, and although we all know that the DVC's are very nice we just want some reasurrance. Any opinions on the resort, good and bad, are great! THANKS!

Also if anyone could mention how the mousekeeping works for non-DVC members at Saratoga springs...

dolphinmickey9170
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM
We love SSR. I prefer the Congress Park section as you have a great view of the river and Downtown Disney. It is wonderful to sit out on our balcony and enjoy the music and sights from DTD. The quiet pool is wonderful and it is only a 10-15 minute walk (depending on your pace) from Congress park to DTD. The rooms are spacious and clean. You don't hear anything around you, as in, throught the walls or ceilings. You know how sometimes you can hear people walking on the floor above, not this one. It is a little walk to the main pool and the giftshop/CS/TS restaurant, but that was okay with us. We just really loved it there. The staff is friendly, the atmosphere is.....well, DISNEY! What more can I say. I think you have made a great choice. Have a good time and enjoy yourselves!:mickey:

93 more days for us!

DVC Mike
09-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Also if anyone could mention how the mousekeeping works for non-DVC members at Saratoga springs...

You will get normal mousekeeping, just like any other resort.

It is only DVC members who stay on points that get reduced mousekeeping.

DizneyRox
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't like the resort. It's nice and clean looking, but the busses and the layout makes it not so convenient for how I like to vacation.

It's less points than the other deluxe resorts for a reason. Personally I like the bus service at places like BW, BC, etc. better. SSR reminds me more of a moderate. Some of the buildings are very far away from the main building. We walk everywhere, but I can imagine many would not think of making the trek depending on where you are staying.

I did like the food court and gift shop area, the pool looking inviting, but again, far from some of the buildings.

DVC Mike
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
SSR offers an elegant and sophisticated décor, an onsite Spa (rated best at WDW), and a golf course on the property.

It is a large, spread out resort, with a location right across from Downtown Disney. It offers direct access (walk/boat) to DTD (for restaurants and nightlife).

It has a great themed pool (rock formations/springs/water slide), but offers limited onsite dining.

It is a condo style setup (not attached to a hotel like most DVC resorts), has convenient self parking, but no room service. It also has outdoor hallways.

I think it's a nice resort.

TheRustyScupper
09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Good:
. . . nice and new
. . . rooms have nice decor
. . . buildings are pleasing in appearance
. . . based upon building, DTD is walkable

Bad:
. . . very large in acreage
. . . a lot of people for the services available
. . . bus service is spotty
. . . choices of restaurants is slim

Overall:
. . . we think it is the least of the DVC properties
. . . maybe that is represented by the point values

DessertDivaFL
09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
My pre-teens and I stayed in June and we are not DVC members. We stayed in a Studio and that was fine. They loved the main pool and the quiet pool. We loved staying in the Congress Park section. You can walk to DTD very easily. Busing was fine when we were there. I don't think I would enjoy the long walk to the main area during the hot summer months but I don't mind the walk because everything is so pretty and you see lots of rabbits and ducks along the way.

princessM0m
09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
One reason for the difference in price/points is the location--CR is on the monorail while SSR obviously is not. We have stayed there twice (at opposite ends of the resort) and never experienced a problem with the bus transportation. The second trip we did have issues with how Mousekeeping had left the room, but I think this could happen anywhere. It's a nice resort but if you are concerned about how it is spread out and you want more dining choices then this may not be for you. If you do end up giving it a try plan ahead: make your wishes about room location known when you make your reservation and again when you check in. Be aware of the dining options and eat while you are visiting other areas if they don't suit you.

Here we go again...
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
We are DVC members and SSR is our home resort. I remember watching them build SSR and thinking that I would never stay there... it just did not look very inviting.
We went on a tour once it was built and I had a change of heart. I love SSR! The rooms are great and I liked the spa more than the one at the Grand Floridian. They have a great work out room too.

The resort is large, we stayed in the Grandstands but did not think the walk to the food court was any longer than POR or CBR. The food court is very limited... that would be my biggest complaint. I do like that DTD is so close with so many food choices though.

In July (4th of July week) we never had any problems with the transportation.

MickeyMousse
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
We are staying there in November and I am psyching myself out. We stayed there for one night and it was very nice...I am hoping that I feel the same spending an entire 11 days there.

Dining choices are scarce, but if you know that ahead of time you can make alternate plans if necessary.

We are so used to being within walking distance of MGM/Epcot that I am concerned with having to rely on the bus to go everywhere but Downtown.

Think of it as a learning experience! Or "been there, done that, will/won't do it again!":mickey:

meandmydog1
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Just another opinion. I have stayed at SSR many times. Most recently I stayed in Grandstand area. Honestly, I think its the best area. It is the first bus stop for loading and the first bus stop for unloading which makes it great already. Also there is a great pool in that area that is fun for kids and fun for adults. Also a great beach bar at the pool. I also have friends who just stayed in this area and they are thrilled with it as well. The restaurant selection isnt that great but Downtown Disney is not far and of course there are so many more options throughout all the parks. Dont worry you will have a great time there.:mickey:

Roo Girl
09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I really love SSR. We bought our first DVC points there and added additional ones too. I love that it is spread out and quiet- I guess what is a negative for some is a positive for others. That's OK! I think the grounds and the buildings are immaculate and I like the color schemes of the rooms. For some reason I find this resort VERY relaxing. We rarely use the bus service so I can't speak to that but I can say the convenience of walking to DTD is the cat's pajamas! We walked during our honeymoon last April and it was so wonderful to have a nice walk "home" after a very large meal at Bongo's. The pools are neat and clean. I definitely agree that the food options are limited and I'm not sold on the Turf Club. I do feel for the size of the resort, they might have another food option elsewhere on the grounds as Old Key West does. Everytime we stay somewhere else, most recently at OKW in August, I am wistfull for SSR. There is just something very familiar and comfortable about it to me. I hope you like it too! :cloud9: