PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9-11 [Merged Threads]

Ian
09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
This is just a reminder to everyone to please stop and take a moment today to remember all those lives lost on this day six years ago.

And please .... also take a moment to say a prayer for a safe return for all of our brave men and women fighting overseas to help keep us safe here at home.

I know I'll never forget.

mickey&missy
09-11-2007, 09:02 AM
It still gives me chills.

My DD was 6 months old at the time. I remember sitting holding her watching NYC local news, just like I do every morning. It was orginially reported as a small plane hitting the tower. Then they said it was in fact a jetliner.Then I watched the second plane hit and the tv went snowy. The channel I was watching went had its broadcast antenna on that tower and the hit affected the antenna. I remember watching the days events unfold and thinking what kid of world did I bring my daughter into. I'm just glad she was so little she didn't know what was going on.

As someone who knows few people who died that day and several rescue workers who worked tirelessly in the weeks after I truely will never forget.

ChipDale
09-11-2007, 09:10 AM
:( Wow, hard to believe that it's been six years already. :( :flag:

bucky at disney
09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Out of respect for all those who lost their lives on this day 6 years ago....let us ALL take a moment of silence in remembrance.

"As a nation we remember...as a people we never forget"

Let us never forget....

Ian
09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I think the thing I remember the most about that day is just the absolute craziness of it all. The news and rumors were just flying all over the place and no one really knew what was actually happening.

That plus that horrible feeling of absolute helplessness. You wanted so desperately to be able to do something about what you were watching and you just couldn't.

Piglet822
09-11-2007, 09:32 AM
:(:(:(

:flag:

Dsnygirl
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
It's one of those times where I'm sure all of us can remember exactly what we were doing when we heard....

I, unfortunately, was asleep at the time, as I'd worked the night before, and my DH was home with our 2 month old, our 3 yr old was at pre-school. I had to go back to work that night, and would have normally slept until late afternoon, but my DH came in and woke me up about 1:30 and told me what had happened - he said he wanted to give me a chance to get up and see the footage and let it sink in before he went to get our daughter and bring her home. I remember just feeling stunned and shocked and like it just couldn't possibly have really happened... the footage seemed so unreal. He saw it all unfold, and watched it all with me, telling me what he'd heard as it happened.... it was awful. I'd gone to school outside of NYC and had eaten at Windows on the World... it broke my heart.

God bless all the families that lost loved ones, and all the men & women that worked tirelessly to help... we will never forget. :flag:

disneydrmr
09-11-2007, 09:46 AM
:flag::drill::fireman::ambal::cop::medic::flag:

I will never forget. I still remember sitting at my desk at work... the shock.. the office scrambling to get the office tv to work so we could follow what was happening.. the tears in all our eyes.. the fear... trying to continue our day... customers calling in - you could hear the tears and fear in their voices....

Let us remember... and pause to honor all...

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA! :flag:

Figment!
09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
:flag: E Pluribus Unum :flag:

:flag: Out of Many, ONE :flag:

Melanie
09-11-2007, 09:57 AM

ElenitaB
09-11-2007, 10:13 AM
It has been six years, however the shock and the grief of that day still lingers. The smoke in the air, the quiet only being disturbed by jets doing flyovers, the uncertainty of waiting to hear about friends and neighbors, not wanting to walk down to the water and see the city skyline without its "two front teeth"... the memory of it all floods back in these moments. :crying:

Please remember all those who were killed on this day throughout the country, and keep their loved ones in your prayers as well.

mttafire
09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
God Bless America..God Bless the Troops!

The Reservoir Dog
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
My Best Wishes to all from the UK :grouphug:

Jenemmy
09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I took a moment this morning to pray for all the families who lost loved ones that day and are today re-living those events in memorial. How hard it is to lose someone to natural causes or accidents -- but to lose them to pure, planned out evil is unimaginable! To any fellow intercotees mourning a personal loss this day, my deepest and heartfelt sympathies. God Bless

ChipnDaleGal
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM

DNS
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
"As a nation we remember...as a people we never forget"

Indeed. :flag:

Figgyluv03
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Wow, I can't believe's been 6 years already. It feels like yesterday. How many of you were in the parks on 9-11? If so, where were you and how did you find out. I worked at CBR at the time, and I remember them closing the parks and the resort being swomped. Luckily we had Mickey and the Gang come and entertain the kids and we played games and stuff to keep their mind off of what was going on.

2Epcot
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I have kept a medium sized American flag magnet on the back of my car in honor of the men and women of 9/11 for the last six years. I think about that tragedy almost every day. I will never forget what happened. May God bless our men and women serving to protect our country.

cal5755
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I was not at the parks 6 years ago... however my prayers are with the families who lost loved ones.

luvdiznee
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
We werent at WDW. My dd was in school and I remember clearly stopping to do housework just to watch on TV. So sad.

Sunshine1010
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I was at work.

I had gotten there and I was in my ambulance checking all my supplies and testing things. I'll always listen to the radio (one of those morning shows) when I do this, .....and I heard them talking about a plane hitting the tower. I didn't really pay attention that much. I immediately thought that it was a small plane who had accidentally hit the tower. They were thinking the same thing. Then, I hear the DJ's screaming. They were watching it on TV in their soundroom and they watched the second plane hit. One DJ stated it had to be a joke and he just couldn't even accept it ----even live on the air----. The other DJ was freaking out.

I ran inside to the station and all the other medics were watching it on TV.

As an ambulance service, we were immediately put on alert (even though we were in TN). It made us nervous. We were scared.

Later that week, we found out that one of the plans was that some terrorists were trying to come up with a plan to steal some ambulances. So we had to start locking our ambulances up everywhere -- even the ER.

We had to be ID'd constantly.

THEN....we found out that another plan had been in action to steal cropduster planes (not sure what they are called) so they could spray chemicals everywhere. So, farm planes were grounded LONG after the planes were allowed to fly again. (at least in my part of the state)

My prayers are with the victims, the families, friends, witnesses....and ....everyone.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I had just come home from driving my husband to work. My son had just turned 1 and we were playing on the living room floor when I switched the TV on. I remember not being able to take my eyes off the screen, I could not believe what was going on! I remember seeing the towers fall and just sitting there crying. My Husband and Mom came home from work early and we just sat there in disbelief. I can remember that day so vividly.

I now have a neice that is in Iraq right now. She tells us of what goes on and I am just so amazed at how brave she is!

A big "THANK YOU!" to all the men and women who are protecting our freedom!

mjstaceyuofm
09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
There was so much to remember on that day, but one of the most vivid memories I have was sitting in my office watching all the planes landing at Detroit Metro airport. Our office building is about 4 miles from the airport and sits parallel to the flight path for one of the larger runways there.

I remember listening to the radio coverage in my office and hearing about all air traffic forced to land at the closest airport. I've never seen so many planes landing before in my life - and all from airlines that don't usually land at Detroit Metro - Qantas, Air France, Air Canada, you name it. Besides all of the grief, that visual and memory is one that just sticks in my head, watching all these 747's parade in one after another.....

Mnchknbrat1982
09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
When I found out I was in my first period goverment class. All we did that day was watch the unfolding. The first thing that kept running through my mind was what if this had happened 5 years earlier..........I had an aunt that worked in the pentagon. And one of the offices that was struck was her office before she retired. I have a friend and cousin who are over in Iraq right now serving.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved and those that are risking their lives for our freedom!

wedway fan
09-11-2007, 01:10 PM
i was on active duty in the air force at the time- working in a medical clinic here in DE. once things started happening, we sent all the patients home and about 40 of us just sat in the patient waiting room, watching the big screen TV and waiting for further orders.

we were eventually sent home at about 3pm and advised to stay by the phone. we were called about every 3-4 hours that night just to be sure we were on standby.

never forget, always pray.

Disneyfirsttimer
I had just arrived at work. I work in Northern NJ and live in New York State. It had just happened. My DS8 was only 2 years old and in daycare and I was 7 months pregnant with my DD5. After the second plane hit, they dismissed everyone. None of the cell phone signals worked. I could not reach my husband. It was extremely frightening. Once we all got home, I remember still not feeling truly safe (not sure I ever will). We live about 40 miles north of NYC. You can see the skyline on my way to work in NJ.

Watching TV that night, I could not stop crying. Just seeing those buildings collapse was such a sight. We have visited the memorial a few times and seeing all the names and photos is very intense.

I pray for peace for myself, my children, their children and the world. God Bless.

Karyn

Nascfan
Always remember, never forget.
May the good Lord comfort those who lost loved ones on that horrible day. And bless our brave men and women in uniform protecting us, both here and abroad.

bleukarma
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I was not at the parks, however I worked in a law firm in downtown Tampa. Anybody who had family on MacDill Air Force base was allowed to go home but the senior lawyer didn't think it was relevent for anybody else to leave. Most of us watched the tv in the breakroom for most of the day. It was a very weird day. The lawyer I worked for kept thinking that these attacks were going to go on throughout the US all day. I was scared about working in downtown Tampa since it's so close to MacDill and my house (at the time) was halfway in between MacDill and Tampa International. With MacDill being Central Command I was sure that we were going to be a target. Thankfully I was wrong, but my hearts do go out to everybody that lost a love one that day.

I was, however, at the parks when the war was announced a few weeks (or months, I forget) later. I was eating lunch at the All Star Cafe and they switched off the football games to the president as he was announcing the war.

MickeysEars
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I was pregnent and my husband was home togo to the Dr with me. We got a call the "Fran's building was just hit by a plane!!" My husband ran to the TV to see his brothers building on fire. We went to the appt because it was for a serious reason and while sitting in the off my husband watched as his brother's building collapsed. We spent the rest of the day waiting for the phone to ring. And although it did, it was never Fran. He left behind 4 beautiful daughters whom he adored. I was very happy and touched to see this thread today. Thank you to everyone, and also my love goes out to all th other families...
Thanks again

Dyanna
09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Was driving to work when the news was announced. After the 2nd plane hit the boss excused everyone to go home & be with their families. We live about 40 minutes from the city here on Long Island. I went over to my husbands shop & went on the roof & remember I was able to see the smoke coming from the towers after they had collapsed. It was such a erie sight.

One year later Sept 12th 2002 we went to WDW & could not beleive how deserted the parks were. The longest wait on any given line was 10 minutes. Of course we will never see the parks that empty again but boy did we hit each ride more than once on that trip! The CM's said they had never seen the parks so empty before.

SurferStitch
09-11-2007, 01:25 PM
We were 10 days away from being at WDW. I was in such a good mood at work, then I heard the news.

We had no TV, one radio, and the internet was swamped. DH called to keep me updated. It was awful.

WDW was empty the following week. We did 3 days there, then went on the DCL. We had a one bedroom suite, but were given a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom suite because that family canceled their trip. It was just so weird to see everything so empty down there.

BigBaloo
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
We were in the MK that day. It was around 11am & we were just getting off of PotC & we saw them closing the doors to the attraction. I went up to the CM & asked why the ride was closing & he informed me that the Pentagon & WTC had been attacked & they were closing the park. I was in shock. There was no announcement made at that time & we quickly got our things & started to head for Main Street. I noticed on the way out that the Juncgle Cruise & Alladin were still open & they were letting people on the ride. By the time we got to the Crystal Palace there was an announcement made over the PA that the park was closing. All of the stores on Main St were closed & there were CM's lined up ushering everyone out. I kept thinking to myself how amazingly organized this was because how could Disney ever practice this? When we got to the exit they were handing out 1 day passes as reimbursement. The monorails, buses & boats were ready to get everyone out.

Being from North Jersey we were obviously very concerned about family & friends & couldn't get through like everyone else until the next day & would later find out my sisters 1st boyfriend was a firefighter who died in one of the towers.

The next day my wife & I tried to make the best of it for our kids (3 & 1 at the time) & took them back to the MK. In the courtyard they had every character out. I mean literally 15-20 characters, but the mood was obviously very somber. I felt guilty being there.

We couldn't get any transportation home until Saturday (train) & by the end of the week there was literally no one in the parks.

Normally I don't remember details like this, but these are ones I will never forget.......

alphamommy
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I had been watching "Good Morning America" and getting my daughter ready to leave to run errands. I turned off the TV, and got in the car. As we were pulling out of the garage, the guy on the radio said something about, "We'll keep you up to date with whatever's happening with the World Trade Center."

As I pulled down our (long) driveway, I switched the radio to an all-news station, which was tied in to the CBS national radio network broadcast. Just as I pulled out on the road, the person talking on the radio screamed, "Oh, my gosh, another plane just hit the other tower!"

From what I've seen since then of GMA's coverage, I missed the first report on TV by only a minute or two.

My other big memory from that day was watching our 20-month-old daughter playing later that day while I watched the coverage on TV. I remember thinking that she will never remember a world where that hadn't happened. It's sort of like JFK's assasination for me - I was 4 months old when he was killed.

My prayers go out to all those who's lives were changed by this tragic day, and to those who fight for our freedom today. God bless America!! :flag:

McGoofy
09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
It's one of those times where I'm sure all of us can remember exactly what we were doing when we heard....

I, unfortunately, was asleep at the time, as I'd worked the night before, and my DH was home with our 2 month old, our 3 yr old was at pre-school. I had to go back to work that night, and would have normally slept until late afternoon, but my DH came in and woke me up about 1:30 and told me what had happened - he said he wanted to give me a chance to get up and see the footage and let it sink in before he went to get our daughter and bring her home. I remember just feeling stunned and shocked and like it just couldn't possibly have really happened... the footage seemed so unreal. He saw it all unfold, and watched it all with me, telling me what he'd heard as it happened.... it was awful. I'd gone to school outside of NYC and had eaten at Windows on the World... it broke my heart.

God bless all the families that lost loved ones, and all the men & women that worked tirelessly to help... we will never forget. :flag:

Wow. Your story is almost exactly the same as mine. I had worked night shift at my hospital the night before as well. My son, who was 3 years old at the time, was at my mom's house. I came home and went to bed. At around 2pm, my husband came and woke me up and told me what was going on. I just remember being in a total state of shock. I felt guilty for being asleep while all of this tragedy was taking place. I too had to go back to work that night, and I packed a bag thinking that I may wind up being at the hospital for a very long time if any other tragedies happened near our area and we had to take victims into our hospital. It was all so surreal.

I still tear up watching the footage. God bless all of the families of the victims as well as survivors and those brave men and women that are still fighting for us.:flag:

PirateLover
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
First of all, my prayers and thoughts go out to all of you who lost loved ones on 9/11/2001.
It is a day that I will never forget. It was one of the longest days of my life and I can still remember every little detail. It's funny. Back then I was a junior in high school, now I am teaching high school! It's so odd to see pictures of the twin towers on fire in a text book...Soon there will be a generation of kids coming in as freshman who have no memories of 9/11. (This year's freshman class would've been in 3rd grade)

As painful as it can be sometimes, every year I immerse myself in memorials/coverage. I just think it's very important to remember and honor the lives that were lost and the brave men and women who risked everything to save them. :flag:

missouridisney
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
THanks Intercot, I knew I could count on you to have a thread on this somber occasion. I was blessed enough to get to go to New York with a group this summer and visit Ground Zero and some of the different memorials. I am so thankful to our military for all they do and the sacrafices from their family, along with all our firefighters and police. Thank you so much.
GOD BLESS AMERICA:fireman::nurse::doctor::flag::flag::flag:

IloveDisney71
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
:( I cannot believe it has been 6 years. It seems more recent than that. I've said a prayer for anyone who lost a loved one on 9/11 and for anyone who has lost a loved one in our current war. :cry::flag:

RedSoxFan
09-11-2007, 05:51 PM
:flag:God Bless America:flag:

jilwil
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
First, thanks to all those serving in our armed forces, both at home and abroad!

Thanks to all those here at Intercot. I was moved upon entering the website. What a nice way to pay tribute!

Prayers for all those who lost loved ones on that horrible day!

conorsmom2000
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
It is one of those days I will never forget, and think about often. I am also in Northern NJ, about 20 minutes from the WTC and we too love to see the NYC skyline from different spots around here.

The one thing that really stands out is how the saddest, scariest day I can ever remember, was also the most beautiful. It all just felt so surreal - it was a perfect September day with not a cloud in the bright blue sky.

Conor was 18 months old and I had been laid off the month before, so we were having a lazy morning, with our only plans to go to the mall to buy him sneakers. My husband Mike was working at Newark Airport that day - I remember him calling me, in a really sharp tone, asking me if I was watching the news....and I laughed. :( I said "of course we're not watching the news, we're watching Sesame street!". Mike said "get the address book, go upstairs, turn on the news and call me back", and then he hung up. I was completely floored, but did as he asked. When I turned on the Today show, they were talking about what they thought was a twin engine plane that had accidently hit the tower. Now I knew what Mike wanted - his brother Kevin worked at the WTC, but not in the towers, at the base in the Merrill Lynch building. I called Mike back and was giving him his brother's number at work when we both saw the second plane hit the other tower live on TV - it was just a horrible, awful moment where it hit you full on that this was not an accident, and that someone was attacking us. I could hear the guys Mike was working with just screaming in shock. We hung up and then it just became bedlam - everyone knew I was home, so everyone was calling me to check in on everyone else (half our family worked in the city). I remember telling my sister that Conor and I might still go to the mall and her just screaming at me that we couldn't go to a mall today. Mike called back at some point and said he was being evacuated from Newark Airport (his brother was on the ferry on his way home to Hoboken) and I told him to meet me at my Mom's, which was 4 blocks away - I just couldn't be alone with Conor and needed my Mom & Dad's company. After I packed him up, we got in the car and I started it up - and then I heard the most frightening thing - A jet, right over my head. The whole car felt like it was shaking, it was that close - I honestly started to cry and shake because I knew the air space had been closed - there should have been no planes flying. I finally got it together and drove to my Mom's - when I got there, my Mom and my neighbor were waiting outside for me. The first thing they both said was "It was a fighter jet". The relief was unbelievable. A few minutes later I got a call from Mike, who had been driving home and was now on the side of the turnpike, freaking out - he just kept saying "it was there, and then it was gone, it's just gone!". He had watched the first tower fall. :(

Little by little all my siblings gathered at my Mom's, as we always do when there is a crisis. We were finally able to contact my brother, my uncle and the others in the city and it took them over 10 hours, but they all made it home. Our town lost 4 Dad's that day and a close family friend lost her cousin. To be honest, we all know someone who lost someone that day. Our friends that were firefighters went over to help and came home just devastated. I literally was glued to the coverage for a week - I couldn't even sleep. I was just so in shock over this.

What really broke my heart though was Conor - as much as we all tried to keep the news from him, and keep him occupied, he learned a new phrase that day - by dinnertime he just kept saying over and over in his little 18 month old voice "Towers fell, towers fell". :(

I'd been to Windows on the World twice and to the observation deck of the WTC many times. My fondest memory was getting to ride in the Met Life snoopy blimp (long story!) up and down the Hudson River - I took a great picture of the towers from the blimp that day. I still can't believe they are gone.

I will never forget, it chokes me up just writing this. God bless America and God bless our troops. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families today.

Princess'Mom
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I have kept a medium sized American flag magnet on the back of my car in honor of the men and women of 9/11 for the last six years. I think about that tragedy almost every day. I will never forget what happened. May God bless our men and women serving to protect our country.

Ditto. Unfortunately, on our last trip to WDW, someone STOLE our flag off the van.

It is hard to believe that it happened. No words can describe it. God bless America and her troops.

TiggeRia
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I remember that day like it was yesterday, too. I was at work as a tech in the ER. I live about an hour away from NYC. Anyway, I remember standing in one of the rooms watching it all unfold and not quite believing what I was seeing. Shortly after that, we had an influx of patients...I think it was one of the busiest days I've every had. No one wanted to be at home alone.

My first thoughts were with my brother who is in the military, and I wanted to hear from him to make sure he was ok and find out how this would impact him. He was attending the Air Force Academy at that time (thank goodness he was a student and wouldn't have to go to war until he was out of school) and their base went into a lock down.

Around 1 PM that day, I got a phone call from my mom saying that my dad was packing some belongings and heading into the city with our local ambulance squad. Many of of local volunteer squads sent in one or two ambulances with EMT's on board to help out. I was worried sick about my dad (not only from a terrorism standpoint, but also medical because he had lung CA and only one lung) and was begging her to tell him not to go, but of course that was to no avail. He headed in and his group of ambulances actually made it to ground zero to standby, even though they never actually took anyone to the hospital because at that point there were no survivors being found. The pictures they have from that night speak for themselves.

My boyfriend then contacted me a few hours later to say that he was responding as well with his work ambulance. He was stationed at the Meadowlands and never actually made it into the city. Needless to say, it was a sleepless night and one that I will never forget as long as I live.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who was impacted by that tragedy, and with our troops. :flag:

DisneyDudet
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I, too, was in government class. It was just over and someone who had first period off came in early and said what happened, that was right before the second tower was hit. My gov't teacher sent people home to get TV's so we could have every channel we could find. We had an assembly about it so that all the student body was informed. It pretty much a wasted school day, as everyone had a tv or radio going on. We had to do Calculus, but if she taught for 10 min, we got to listen to the radio the rest of the time.

I remember. That was my Senior year in high school. What a year to remember. We went to Disney that following June, and it was an empty park. I also visited Ground Zero that same June. There was still dust on the church near the site. I remember that very well. We were there the day after Father's Day. I remember, by one of the names on the wall of victims, was a brand new picture with a Father's Day card saying, "He looks just like you." That's when I lost it. A whole group of high school students in NYC on a mission trip... all crying. It was very somber, and it touched me.

It is very hard to forget this day. Ripples from the events follow us. Our lives as Americans were completely changed in a matter of hours.

My heart goes out to those families that are and were affected. I send my prayers to the troops. I also pray for our leaders, and leaders of other countries.

We shall never forget...

crazy4disneyworld
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Wave your flag proudly, for America is the greatest country in the world. I am proud to call myself American, and I believe no can can truly destroy America and her spirit, as we all witnessed in the days following the tragic mass murder in the attacks of 9-11-01.

God Bless America, God Bless Our Troops.

Never Forget.

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

ckaranassos
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I remember hanging around the morning of 9-11 getting my DD ready for afternoon kindergarten when my stepfather called me and informed me that my stepsister's roommate called screaming that my stepsister was in the towers, Now my stepsister worked in Jersey City, but on that day she had a meeting and was in the towers. Of course we did not know that until the call. Luckily, we did not have to wait too long before my stepsister called to say she made the last ferry and was safe. When the planes hit my stepsister and a small group listened to a "guardian angel" who told them to stop waiting for the elevator and run down the stairs, which she did. She believes those who took the elevator never made it out. GOD BLESS ALL THEN AND NOW!! I know this day is very difficult for my stepsister and my family, so I can not imagine the grief others suffer. Actually we all suffer!!:flag:

Jeremy3721
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I was a Cast Member at the Magic Kingdom back then and had the unfortunate task of helping to evacuate the park and break the news to some of our Guests. The park was cleared of every Guest in about 20 minutes which was unbelievable.

It was so erie to hear the "Magic Kingom is now Closed" spiel in the middle of the afternoon and then to walk back in front of the castle a couple of hours later an not see one living person anywhere in the park.

I had been at work since 7am and since I had a television near my office I watched the events unfold and then called most of my family members and co-workers telling them what was happening. I worked the entire day working with the labor office to ensure all fo the changes to Cast schedules were handeled correctly and then went home and watched the events on tv for the next two days.

A Big Kid
09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I was sitting in my patrol car in the parking lot of the high school. A message came accross the computer from another unit telling everyone to put the "good times" radio on 740 KTRH am. I did so and was immediately confused about what was going on. I went into the boy's locker/training room where the Head Trainer, Bubba, was just staring at the TV.

Bubba said, "This does not look good" and then the second plane hit. I felt sick. I felt helpless. But at the same, time I felt like I needed to do something--anything.

The next few days were odd. We live under the final approach to the big ariport in Houston. Because I used to be an air traffic controller, I was always keenly aware of the air traffic in the area. But now there was nothing.

I got assigned to the airport for the next few weeks. I spend 12 hours a day out on the passenger pick-up/drop-off ramps making sure that traffic kept moving. No one was allowed to stop or park other than to drop off or pick up passengers. On the 12th, some idiot pulled up on the ramp to drop someone off in a Ryder rent a truck!! As soon as he pulled up, I forced him to keep going and refused to let him stop. Everyone around could not believe what a fool this guy was.

I had a radio that I kept tuned to the local news for the next few days. The constant drone of the radio, the national guardsman everywhere, and the almost zombie like walk of everyone in the airport was surreal.

One of my friends who is a United pilot was just dropped off by his wife a few days later. (He was actually in the air piloting an Airbus when all planes were ordered grounded.) I stopped to greet him as he was assuring his wife that he would be fine and everything was OK. She closed the door and drove off. He turned to me and said, "I'm scared as hell Charlie." We hugged, and I turned to watch him walk into the terminal.

Figgyluv03
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I didn't find this out until I got home from my CP at WDW, but the fire department my family runs with now took a truck up to NYC the day of the attacks to help out FDNY. They have pictures of the highway completely empty and off in the distance, all you could see was smoke. I'm so proud of the men our family volunters with, and they the thoughts of the families of loved ones lost in these attacks are always with me. God Bless them all and the troops fighting for our freedom!