PDA

View Full Version : Day Four: SBETigg's WiM Grand Vacation

SBETigg
09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Previous Report: Day Three (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114831)

Wednesday, August 22 Day Four
Dates: August 19- 29.
Grand Floridian, MK View: Boca Chica 8507

Cast:
Sherri: aka SBETigg, 38, longtime WDW fan.
Sean: The DH, 42, desperate for a vacation.
The DS: 16, still willing to be seen with parents at WDW.
The DD: aka SunshinePiglet, 14, shares love of all things Disney.

After a night of tossing and turning with my hip acting up and my eczema-covered hands (broken out from so much hand-washing with harsh theme park bathroom soap) scratching against the sheets (seriously, does Disney have the roughest cotton sheets ever or is it just me?), I tie on my string bikini and head down to the hot tub. Demi Moore, eat your heart out!
And then I wake up and realize the hot tub really is a great idea.

I shower and get into my modest middle-aged mom full coverage tankini and head for the hot tub while the DH heads for the spa to work out and the kids sleep in. A nice soak does the hip wonders. We have no plans for the afternoon, but now I’m thinking I can handle Magic Kingdom. It’s been three days and I still haven’t been on Splash Mountain. Time to get my ride on (as Stacy of the Top Seven would say).

The DH agrees when we meet up to head back to the room to get the kids moving. We monorail over to the MK by ten am, and we’re pleased to see that crowds (http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/17739/2697104670102098585S600x600Q85.jpg) are much lower than they have been. We take the Main Street Railroad (http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/15165/2827918890102098585S600x600Q85.jpg) to Frontierland and get off to head for Splash. There’s a five minute wait! Seriously, wow. So we grab Fastpasses so we can come back later, too, and make our way through the queue. I get really excited when I see the logs. The kids get the front. We all get soaked, really soaked, but fun! No problem being soaked when it's hot and humid.

We go to Big Thunder, no line, ride that, and decide to head for Space Mountain. We can’t resist another ride through Pirates on the way to Tomorrowland (again, no wait, yo ho!). Space Mountain has a twenty minute standby. We manage to fit in a TTA ride and we wonder why we haven’t seen any Dream Team people anywhere. We have seen plenty of Dream Fastpasses and we’re a little envious, but not terribly since waits are low for today. After our second Splash trip, another BTMRR (http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/14127/2873981560102098585S600x600Q85.jpg) run, and lunch at Columbia Harbour House (not busy, tables everywhere), we head back to the GF for a rest before our night at Downtown Disney.

We get to Downtown about two hours before our Raglan Road ADR so we can do some shopping. Oh yeah, shopping! Amazing how buying stuff makes my hip feel so much better. And I buy stuff. It’s so easy to have it sent to my resort! And buy stuff. And buy stuff. And my daughter gets in on the act and buys stuff. And my husband catches the fever and buys stuff. My son remains immune to the shopping bug. He mostly complains that shopping bores him but I suggest he buy some candy (because he can’t complain while chewing).

We head for Raglan Road an hour early. We spent all that in less than an hour? We can’t be seated right away, but we’re happy to pass some time in the gift shop. The kids are both now sick of shopping (aka nothing holds their interest at the Raglan Road shop) so they go to find a seat outside. Not five minutes after we’re told it will be a while, our beeper thing goes off and we have a table. Dinner was fun, Raglan Road Review, (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115311) and the DH and I order some Bass and stay to watch the show.

The kids’ plan was to head off to DisneyQuest but now the DD, a violinist, realizes there is an Irish fiddle and she wants to stay and watch the first few songs. This sparks our first real Disney tension because it’s the first time I insist they stay together. I don’t want the DD roaming Downtown Disney by herself to meet the DS at DisneyQuest later. It’s getting dark and the Downtown Disney nightlife is picking up. I get protests of being overprotective, but the DH holds firm with me and we decide that the kids will have to compromise. Without much more trouble, they agree to watch one song and head out.

And when they come back about fifteen minutes earlier than their assigned curfew time, they concede that there were “weird drunk people” walking around and they were more comfortable to be together. Aha! Plus, they didn’t like DisneyQuest. The most interesting thing was the elevator, they say.

Apparently, the DH and I had a better time with the Irish music(and going back to check out the gift shop to buy, yes, more stuff). Earlier, we took care of our dinner bill and moved from our dinner table for four to take a place at the bar area (not as loud) but unfortunately it now takes us forever to get a server’s attention to settle our tab for the ale. Finally, shortly after eleven, we’re headed for the bus worn out and ready for bed.

Fortunately, we've had great experiences with buses when we've had to use them, and this is no exception. There's no one else at our stop and an almost empty bus comes right away to whisk us "home."

Next: Day Five (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115569)

January-2007
09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the trip report.

iheartmickey
09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a nice day ... you had such nice short waits for rides!

I read the Ralgan Road review and I think we're adding that to our must do list. You made everything sound so delicious!

Thank you for sharing your report! :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day.:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
What great kids to compromise! Gotta love that. Such a wonderful day, and thanks for the great review of Raglan Road.

faline
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Whew! Your hip is holding up! Fun day!

pdrlkr
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

murphy1
09-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Sherri, glad your hip is better and the trip is great (I agree, shopping is good therapy!) Loved your RR review, yummy!

I hope you have applied to be on the mom's panel, your advice is golden and you communicate so well.

DizNee143
09-12-2007, 02:05 PM
another great day!! glad to hear your hip was doing better today!!..gotta love shopping!!! and omg dinner sounded wonderful!!!! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I am so glad that soak in the hot tub seemed to help your poor hip. I am eating at Raglan Road for the first time next month and I can't wait. Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
09-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Enjoyed the report. What a great day at the Magic Kingdom with the low crowd levels.:mickey:

Dsnygirl
09-17-2007, 03:49 AM
:mickey: Glad to hear you had another good day, and that your hip didn't botther you too badly!! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great day.