PDA

View Full Version : How hot can it be at WDW in August? Sizzling is the right word! Day 3

Mom2princesses
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Day 3 - Aug 27th - A day at AK!

Day 3 August 27th – Animal Kingdom and Hoop Dee Doo Review

Well today Stitch woke me up at 6:00 AM! Ugh I thought I was on vacation! I get up and take my shower. I do have one complaint about the Poly. Why in the world are the showerheads so low? I have to do all kinds of twisting and turning and bending just to rinse my hair. I am 5ft 10 in and I get a work out just trying to rinse the shampoo out of my hair! Do all resorts have low showerheads?

Once I finish with my Olympic routine! My dh gets up to take his shower. Once he is out I wake up my two princesses. They both woke up pretty easily. We had a date today with Donald for breakfast at 8:00 am. But before we can head out of the door I need to comb everyone’s hair. Now as you have seen in the pictures my older Daughter has naturally curly hair. Unless you have curly hair yourself or you have a child with curly hair you have no idea how hard it is to brush. I really feel for her because it is tough. I have to either wet it with water or use a spray in conditioner. The conditioner works best since it helps with the frizz although with the Florida heat all our hair did was get frizzy. Of course if I hit a tangle she accuses me of doing it on purpose. Ugh! I try my best to limit the pulling but sometimes you just can’t avoid it. She is not like her mom because she has a really low tolerance for pain. We both survive.

Once she was done it was my little one’s turn. Now she decided that she was going to be “three”. She was not cooperating so combing her hair and putting it in a ponytail was an adventure. She was acting like a typical uncooperative 3 year old twisting and turning and voicing her opinion. But Mom still got her hair up! I pride myself in being able to make a ponytail on the move!

Whew, finally we head out to the car. We decided to drive to AK. I was hoping to maybe stop by the AKL and check it out. Maybe even pick up some Zebra Domes. Driving to AK was a decision we would regret later on during the day. We got there without a problem. For some strange reason they like to part cars far away the earlier you get there. I always thought that if you got there early you parked closer to the entrance well not today! We parked the car and the long walk to the entrance was not a problem in the morning. We get into the park and head over to Dinoland. We check into the restaurant and they try to take that silly picture that they want you to buy for 30+ dollars. It might be fine if you go to one character meal but we got to a few and would be broke if we got them. Anyhow we all go up to pose and my little Diva was still not in a cooperative mood. She would not look at the camera. The good thing was that it made it easy for me to refuse the pictures. I was not about to force her I pick my battles and this was not one of them. I didn’t even want the silly picture.

They call us in pretty quickly and we are seated. Our CM tells us how the characters come in and approximately when they will start. He then takes our drink order and asks us to go and get our food. They had lots of hot food that included some different items like breakfast pizza and quiche. Other items were chocolate chip pancakes, plain pancakes, French toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, two types of hash browns and some other items I can’t remember. They had a whole separate table of cold items. Fruit, yougurt, breakfast breads, cereal and that kind of stuff. So we get our food and sit down and on cue my little Diva announces that she has to go potty. She does this all the time when we go out to eat. It is like she has some kind of survey going on to check out all the different rest rooms! But since she is only 3 I can’t ignore her (just in case) so off to the bathroom we go. We get back to the table and the characters start coming around. We got to see Donald, Mickey, Pluto and Goofy. The character interaction was ok. The girls were happy. The CM’s their do some pretty funny antics and I won’t spoil it for you but they were lots of fun. All in all it was positive experience and I am glad we tried it.
Here's Pluto! (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Pluto.jpg)

Here's Goofy! (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/GOOFY1.jpg)

In this picture it looks like Diva is giving her autograph to Donald! (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Donald.jpg)

After breakfast my dh takes Cindy and was going to put her on some rides in DinoLand while Ariel and I go and get FP’s for EE. We get back and meet up with my Dh and Cindy. Ariel wanted to go on Dinosaur and the standby line was only 10 mins. So I went on with her my dh stayed with our little Diva.

(cont'd in next post below)

Mom2princesses
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Day 3 cont'd - AK

We loved the ride and since it was our first time on it we were on pins and needles not knowing when a big dinosaur would jump out from the pitch-black darkness at us. It was fun. Great ride.

It was already extremely hot and AK is always one of the hottest parks to begin with I don’t know why but it is. So we were ready to go and get wet. Off to Kali we go. They asked Diva to go by the measuring stick. She clonks her head and the CM says she’s ok! They put on a band so that the CM’s up front know to put her in the special seat on the raft. The wait time was 15 mins. We achieved our goal and got soaking wet. Everyone enjoyed the ride.

Next we checked the times for the Nemo show. We would try to make the second show I think it was around 1ish. We walk by Flights of Wonder and the show is just starting. There were plenty of seats. We really enjoyed this show! The birds are just absolutely beautiful. They flew inches above our heads. I am also a very big Eagle fan. To get to see one up close was just awesome. They are huge, beautiful and their talons are very impressive. Don’t want to mess with one of them. They announced at the show that the Eagle is no longer on the endangered species list! YAY!!

Next up was EE! My dh went on with Ariel first. My little Diva decided to take a nap. Great timing! So I sat on one of rocks outside the store by the ride exit and managed to get a shady spot for her while she slept. They definitely need more benches in AK. Ariel was so excited about EE she has always been my little daredevil. For as long as I could remember she wanted to go on the bigger and faster rides. She road RNR at the ripe old age of 5 and loved it. I remember one trip we took with my brother and his family to Six Flags. My dd was about 5, my niece was 7 and my nephew was 13 at the time. We figured that my dd and my niece would go on rides together. Well it turns out that my dd was ride partners with my nephew! LOL! Anyhow it is now my turn to go on with Ariel. I loved it! It is definitely one of my new favorite rides. It was awesome!

Off we went to get FP tickets for the safari. The return time wasn’t until 4:03. Ugh! Now AK is too far for us to go back for our afternoon break and it closes early. So it was starting to get really HOT but it was time for Nemo so we went to the show. Well, we got to sit all the way in the back on the bleachers which are extremely uncomfortable. But hey at least we were in air conditioning! I was not impressed with the show but maybe it was because we were so far back. My little one watched for a while but then she got bored and was squirmy and kicking me on my legs. OUCH! She wasn’t purposely kicking it was just her squirming that caused it. I am sorry we didn’t go to the Lion King show but we thought since 3 of us already saw the Lion King we would try the new show.

By this time my two girls were complaining about being hungry so we headed off to the Flame Tree BBQ. On the way there we got the pleasure of seeing Devine! She was awesome and not only did we see her in the trees but we also got to see her walking! She was great on the stilts pretty cool to see. On guy yelled out “She’s going to eat us!”

Divine’s face was beautiful (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Devine1.jpg) even with all that greenish makeup on she is very pretty.

Here is a pic of her walking! (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Devine2.jpg) Very cool to see her doing this!

After being entertained by Devine we got to the Flame Tree BBQ and we picked up two kids lunches. They had hot dogs, carrot sticks and grapes. My dh and I just had something to drink.

We then went to see It’s Tough to be a bug. There was no line really we just went into the pre-show area and waited there for about 15 mins. My little Diva did not wear her 4D glasses in this one because it scared her a little bit. But the rest of us enjoyed the show.

When we got out it was around 3:00. We discussed whether or not we should stay for the Sarfari Fast Pass but we figured that it was so HOT and late in the day that the animals probably would not be out and active and we decided to head back to the Poly to shower and get ready for the 7:15 show. We let the girls pick out one item each in one of the stores and we headed for the exit.

Well that walk that was tolerable early in the morning now seemed like a long trek in the dessert. Walking through the parking lot was horrid. Ariel was pulling her tween act and whining the whole way back. The asphalt and concrete just seemed to magnify the heat. My dh mentioned to another couple also walking back that he wondered if they had search parties to pick up the people who never made it back to their cars! We all laughed (barely). Finally we made it to the car and it was roasting. We had to poor water over the metal parts of Diva’s car seat because if they had touched her skin it would have burned her. I turned on the car and put the AC on full blast to cool down the car. Next time we will take the Disney Bus. They are closer and the AC is on and they are cool.

At this point we were so tired mostly from the heat that the visit to the AKL was not to be. Yep you always have to be ready to change your plans. So no Zebra Domes for us.
We got back to the Poly around 4 pm. I stopped by the desk to pick up our HDDR tickets and then we all collapsed on the beds!

We all took showers (Diva had her bath she hates showers) and put on clean clothes and we just hung out in the room and had some snacks that I had picked up the first night. I looked out the window at around 5 and saw some mean looking dark clouds I was praying that it wouldn’t rain because we had take a boat over to FW and I had heard they don’t run in thunderstorms. Will we make it to the HDDR?

You’ll find out in the next installment. Click on this link to read the next installment - Day 3 part 2. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115505)

January-2007
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
OoOoh... A cliffhanger! The character breakfast pictures are just adorable! I hope you made it to Hoop Dee Doo! We are going to that show in a week and a half and are excited about it so I hope you saw it and had a fabulous time! Thanks for the trip reports! :mickey:

iheartmickey
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Why is it that the AK always feels soooo hot!?!?

It sounds like you all had a nice time. Sorry you missed out on the Zebra Domes and the AKL. I have yet to see it too, only because we're always to hot and tired to go after a day at the park too.

Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh, the hair combing! And the bathroom check- this stage can last a while. My DD checked out every bathroom everywhere we went for years, maybe ages 3-7. Now it's all a funny memory that she would not want me to share. :blush:

That's a pretty long day in the hot AK. No wonder you were so tired! Thanks for the report (and great pics!).

tinkerbell04
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Seriously! It is the hottest park, I think that all the vegetation there just permeates the heat right there at ground level!

AuntDJ
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to say, I am suprised your oldest lets you brush her hair! I have curly hair (and not nearly as curly as hers) and I only brush it when it is wet....you can forget it if it is dry!

By the way...she is beautiful! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

DJ

faline
09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
My daughter has extremely curly hair so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! She was also a child who need to see every rest room within a 10 mile radius of her location - not sure I quite ever got why but that was the way it was!

Hope you get to that luau!

pdrlkr
09-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Mom2princesses
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
OoOoh... A cliffhanger! The character breakfast pictures are just adorable! I hope you made it to Hoop Dee Doo! We are going to that show in a week and a half and are excited about it so I hope you saw it and had a fabulous time! Thanks for the trip reports! :mickey:

Yep a cliffhanger! I have to keep you guys on your toes! :D I will post part 2 tomorrow night. I had "Back To School Night" at Ariel's school and got home late to two girls that should have been sleeping already but of course they weren't. But Daddy did give Cindy her bath and made sure Ariel took her shower. Tomorrow I should have more time. Glad you are enjoying the report!

It sounds like you all had a nice time. Sorry you missed out on the Zebra Domes and the AKL. I have yet to see it too, only because we're always to hot and tired to go after a day at the park too.

Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

I guess we both have an excuse to go back again soon! I keep hearing so much about these Zebra Domes I have to make it next time. Maybe I should schedule a lunch or early dinner at Boma. That might force me to get there!

Oh, the hair combing! And the bathroom check- this stage can last a while. My DD checked out every bathroom everywhere we went for years, maybe ages 3-7. Now it's all a funny memory that she would not want me to share. :blush:

That's a pretty long day in the hot AK. No wonder you were so tired! Thanks for the report (and great pics!). Yes AK is tough because with all the shows we never seem to have enough time there. Hopefully next trip will get more time to see all the shows and the Sarfari too. So what is it with the bathrooms? I would love to know why they are so obsessive about it! Every resturant, every store, every where! LOL You learn where the bathrooms are all over the place. Ut oh it can last until age 7! :eek:

Seriously! It is the hottest park, I think that all the vegetation there just permeates the heat right there at ground level!

I think you might be right. Funny you would think the vegitation would help cool it off but I agree I think it does the opposite. :sun:

I just wanted to say, I am suprised your oldest lets you brush her hair! I have curly hair (and not nearly as curly as hers) and I only brush it when it is wet....you can forget it if it is dry!

By the way...she is beautiful! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

DJ

Yes she still does let me do it. She needs to blame someone! But yes we only do it when it is wet you can't do it dry. In the morning I either spray it with water or a spray conditioner. I don't go near her without using something to wet her hair it would be impossible not to mention very frizzy.

My daughter has extremely curly hair so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! She was also a child who need to see every rest room within a 10 mile radius of her location - not sure I quite ever got why but that was the way it was!

Hope you get to that luau!

Sounds like your daughter is a combination of both of my girls! Yes curly hair is really a challenge. I remember when she went to sleep over my brother's house for a couple of days when I gave birth to my youger daughter. My sister-in-law didn't even try to comb her hair. So guess who had to try and get all the tangles out? Cindy's bathroom interest is so funny and she was totally affraid of the automatic flushers. I think she thought it would flush her down the potty! The airplane was another one she refused to use! She is developing iron clad kidneys! :shake:

Mom2princesses
09-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying the trip report. I should have another installment tomorrow. :minnie:

princessgirls
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Great report.

Yes, Animal Kingdom is the Hottest Park! It was sooo hot the week we were there (the same as you).

Thanks for sharing.

Julie:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
09-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I must agree that AK is the hottest. I had to weasel out of that park late afternoon on our first day as I was becoming extremely overheated. Recovered after a cool shower and a little nap.

Your daughters are absolutely beautiful!! Sounds like you are having a great time.

Just can't wait to read what happens next.

ChipnDaleGal
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
A fun, and really hot day at the Animal Kingdom! Thanks for sharing it with us and I hope your cliffhanger has a happy ending. :mickey:

Bethis26fan
09-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Great report thansk for sharing, off to find the second part. :)