PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe what I did today

Marilyn Michetti
09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
We've had post's a couple of times lately on people that accidently leave pets and babies in cars in the heat, and I know that it CAN happen accidently, because it happened to me today.

Our old Bassett, Bentley, has been struggling with Valley Fever for over a year, (better now), but he's still weak. I left the house this morning at 11:30 to take my mother to dialysis, and got home at 5:00. My poor Bentley had followed me outside to the pool side of the back porch, and I didn't see him. We don't let either dog out that door because of the pool, but he will slip out when he gets the chance, and will get into DH's garden. He had shade - in fact, he dug himself a hole in the garden, but no water for 5 1/2 hours, and it was 106 here today. He was pretty hot and thirsty, but the Vet says he should be O.K. I'm just thankful to God that he didn't try to drink out of the pool. If he fell in, he's not strong enough to climb out.

My heart goes out to people that truly do have these kind of accidents, because sometimes it can happen to anyone!!

O.K., thanks for listening. I feel AWFUL, but am grateful that he should be O.K.:blush:

iheartmickey
09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
That sneak! It's scary when things happen that you don't think can.

I left our house door open, wide open, about a week ago. DH got home and thought that we'd been kidnapped. He called me in a panic. I had carried two large laundry bags out to the car and also had DD who is 4 with me at the time. I think I knew the door was open ... or that DD came out last and was going to shut it but didn't ... and when I loaded the laundry in and buckled her in I forgot to check the door. :blush: I was just glad no one stole anything and that no one went in our condo!

Sorry to ramble ... I'm glad everything is ok with Bentley.

kakn7294
09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Marilyn, I'm glad Bentley will be okay. Shame on him for sneaking out of the house - typical kid! Don't beat yourself up - accidents happen and no permanent harm came of it.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I am so glad he is okay.
My dogs are quite the escape artists too..Stinkers!!

Darbylew
09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
So happy to hear that your dog is doing ok. I
know it must have been scary when you got
home.

Dsnygirl
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
How scarey, for both of you!! :( I'm glad to hear he's okay, though... accidents happen, and at least yours turned out okay. Silly puppy... :)

Wolf
09-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm so glad Bentley is gona be alright and I hope he gets over his fever soon!

merlinmagic4
09-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Glad to hear he's okay :hug: EVERYONE makes mistakes which is why I always say it's not our right to judge. Bentley's a sneaky one, huh? :D Did he get into the garden?

conorsmom2000
09-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Marilyn, I'm sorry - poor Bentley!! I know you must of felt terrible, but things like this happen - but no harm done! I'm so glad that he's okay!!

We had a similar thing happen recently - we went camping overnight and for the first time, decided to leave Molly at home rather than a kennel. I had a pet sitter coming, as well as my neighbor and brother checking on her. We left about 2 pm Friday afternoon - but, what we didn't anticipate was a wicked thunderstorm to hit that night about 9 pm (and I mean wicked - I later heard how scared everyone was, and my neighbors tree even fell on another neighbors house!) Well, Molly is terrified of storms, and i guess when she got scared, she went into our room and leaned on the door, which closed. We then lost power - and it was in the high 90's that weekend! The pet sitter showed up at 11:30 pm, but wasn't expecting us to have no power - he called Molly over and over but couldn't find her in the dark. So, he eventually gave up. So, Molly was shut in our room with no ac, no window open, no water and no trips outside for about 10 to 12 hours! :( The pet sitter found her in our room in the morning. We had decided to come home early as the campground was awful, so we heard about this on the way home - including the fact that we still had no power. I felt awful for Molly and swore I wouldn't leave her at home like that again! And to make up for it, since we ended up with no power for 24 hours, she spent the rest of the afternoon swimming in the pool with us! :D

So, accidents happen, no matter how bad we feel about them! Again, I'm glad Bentley is okay!!

RedSoxFan
09-11-2007, 07:51 AM
So sorry to hear this. I'm glad Bentley is okay.:)

mickey&missy
09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I so glad bentley is ok! Things happen, don't feel too bad.

Several years ago DH and I went away for 4th of July weekend and left my MIL to checkin on the cat. We had left a few of the windows opens to give him some ventilation. The little terror must have either leaned on the window screen too hard when he was sitting in the window or seen something outside and jumped at it. He knocked the screen out of the window and feel out! We got home to no cat and hysterical MIL. She felt awful. She thought she lost my cat.

He was gone for almost a week. I terrified for him. He's an indoor cat and had been declawed before we got him. He had no way to defend himself! Plus, it was very hot that week. We searched everywhere and couldn't find him. The next weekend DH and I were sitting in our living room reading the paper and I heard him crying. DH didn't hear him and thought I had completely lost my mind. I made him come outside with me and help me look. Sure enough he was in the bushes in front of the house! Poor thing was all dirty, had tree sap on him and was sooo hunger and thirsty. But, he survived!

Your not alone! Things happen! He's a little sneak!

disneydrmr
09-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm so glad your story has a happy ending! Just give Bentley a few extra kisses and cuddles...

RenDuran
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm glad Bentley is okay! I'll bet that's the last time he sneaks out that door!

We're having a problem with one of our cat's doing the same thing....sneaking out when we least expect it. And the worse thing is, a few years ago, our next door neighbor was convicted of killing two neighborhood cats! Our cat is even on prozac to help "calm" him, but it hasn't worked yet, except he pees in the house less frequently!

mttafire
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM
What happened to you is totally understandable.
However, These folks leaving their kids in the car....NOT understandable. Glad your dog is OK!!::mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
He got lots of hugs and kisses, and my roasted chicken breast, hand fed to him at the table.
(Just this once).:cool:

TheDuckRocks
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Marilyn, I'm so glad to hear Bailey is going to be fine. How awful this must have been for you.
Like others have said we too briefly lost Frank The Cat when he snuck outside. We were having really heavy rains and winds and they announced that our area was under a tornado watch. We jumped up and went out to get in any thing that could cause damage into the house. Well, wouldn't you know it but my very chicken strictly indoor cat made the great escape, just saw the tail end of him dashing under some bushes in the backyard. Took us almost an hour to get him back in the house, all of us very wet and cold. That was three years ago and he still gets very frightened when we have rain and wind.

SBETigg
09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
He got lots of hugs and kisses, and my roasted chicken breast, hand fed to him at the table.
(Just this once).:cool:

I'm sure this more than made up for it in Bentley's mind. He knows he's loved.

DisneyDog
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
So glad your dog is okay! My mom actually locked me in the car, with the keys, when I was just a newborn. Luckily, she did it in the parking lot at the hospital where my dad worked!! So, they got me out quickly!

MsMin
09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Marilyn I'm so happy to hear Bentley is fine. Our Max is a drifter and I've found him in the back yard on several occasions recently. We have a little veggie garden and he loves to sneak into there and he can easily slip under the fence. They are like kids and sometimes are in their own world. Max loves to chase squirrels.
Chloe was locked in my dd's bdrm by mistake one day. Imagine my panic when I couldn't find her when I came home. She's real quiet and I looked for her panicked for a while. I thought sure one of the kids left her outside.
Right now we have 5 dogs in the house. I feel like I'm always taking roll. We have our Chloe and Max, who are grown, and 3 pups. Who finally all have names: Penni is 4 mos we are training for my mom and weighs 1lb 8oz. Mr. Brisby is nearly 5 mos and weighs 2.2 and Reilly (One we kept from Chloe and Max's liter- Rachel is keeping him) is 4mos and 3.6. I worry about owls at night picking one up, big foot (ppl stepping on one) mosquitoes for all b/c west nile has been so bad here, drowning in a pond- a girl who got one of the pups had lost hers by drowning,they had just moved and her fiance' let her out.
I'm glad Bentley got an extra special treat and lots of love. I imagine he's your "baby son" and I know you've spent so much time (not to mention $$) on his care. Sending :hug: and puppy kisses to you both.