PDA

View Full Version : Ireland??

murphy1
09-10-2007, 10:51 AM
We are thinking of taking our first Europe trip since the littlest dd will be 4 next year and Ireland is somewhere I have always wanted to go (I was there as a kid when we lived in Germany for a little while, but don't remember much). We will pretty much fly for free b/c of dh's airline miles. I like the area of Gatway/Shannon/Kerry, don't really want to stay in Dublin, but an hour and a half away you are in the countryside, so that is also a possibility. We thought about Hawaii, but went on our honeymoon and it's a longer flight. Anyone give me their tips or suggestions??

DizneyRox
09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Ireland is one of the most beautiful places I've been. Germany would take second place to it.

Given the choice I would stay on the west coast as well. Galway is fantastic, and like you said Dublin is only a bus ride over. I'm not sure if I would recommend renting a car. While it's possible, you're driving on the wrong side of the road, AND there are a couple of traffic circles right outside of the airport, so you have almost no chance to get used to it before you are thrown into the mix!

But, once you're used to it, it's not so bad. Cars are small, so be careful what you pack.

Ireland will be my next international destination.

tinksmom02
09-10-2007, 11:13 PM
DD5 has been begging me and grandma to take her to Ireland ever since Grandma and Grandpa went in May!

It's a beautiful country, I've never visited Dublin, but my folks have and they weren't impressed with it. I liked County Kerry best.

However, I visited for a pub tour, so no worries about driving on the wrong side of the road (or off a cliff, some of those roads are narrow and scary!). Also, really no room for kids on a pub tour :blush:

I would love to hear if you find some info on Ireland with kids!

Hey, 800th post! :mickey:

big blue and hairy
09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Ireland is absolutely wonderful. DW and I went about 8 years ago, and we're going back next summer. Dublin is terrific, and the rural scenery of Ireland is magnificent. Make sure you see the Gap of Dunloe, it is as close to "God's Country" as you will ever get.

:sulley: