PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Opens May 22)

Melanie
09-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Leaked by Shia LeBeouf at the MTV Video Music Awards tonight, this is the title of the 4th installment of the popular Indiana Jones franchise.

It is slated for a May 22, 2008 release.

I've seen a few pics from the set, and Harrison still looks mighty good in the Indy get-up. :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
09-10-2007, 02:57 AM
I can't WAIT!

Carol
09-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I've seen a few pics from the set, and Harrison still looks mighty good in the Indy get-up. :thumbsup:
No doubt. :tasty:

I cannot wait either!

murphy1
09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I am so excited for this to come out!! Shia is really great, come a long way since Even Stevens show. Indy is still one of my top favorites of all time.

2Epcot
09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Always excited for a new Indy film. I'm glad Speilberg, Lucas, and Ford could make it happen. I'll be standing in line on opening day. My wife had never seen any of the films, so I had her watch the last three in anticipation of the new one coming out next year.

chrisb26
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I also can't wait for the new Indy Film! I was nervous at first as to why they would be making another one when the originals where so good. However I really can't wait for it. I'm glad they where able to be the people they did to be apart of it that should make the movie great!

fig's disney
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

And i definatly agree with the above poster about Shia and how far he has come........a good example of "if you scratch Disney's back....."

He's got two big ones (Disturbia and Transformers) under his belt, and now one of the greates trilogies of all time

Mickeylover71
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
It even sounds adventerous....Hope it's an improvement over the last..It was good, just not good enough :) :mickey:

PirateLover
09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not sold on Shia, but I am sold on the Indy series so I think it will be great. Disappointed that Connery won't be back but I guess you can't get everything you want! Innnnnndyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

DisneyDudet
09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
I really can't wait! Now with all the technology, I bet it will be awesome. I hope it doesn't get too off from what the others are as far as quality and story.

I would like to see pictures of the set.... I'll have to look for them sometime!

NotaGeek
01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
The most recent edition of Vanity Fair has a great article about the upcoming Indy film ... which has officially wrapped production and is in editing for it's Memorial Day release! The article is called Keys to the Kingdom (http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/02/indianajones200802) and you can read it online, of course the pictures are wonderful thanks to Annie Liebovitz.

You can check out the Official Indiana Jones Site (http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html)which features a teaser trailer!

chrisb26
01-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I really want to see this movie the originals where before my time the most recent movie came out in 1989 when I was just 1 lol but I've seen the movies many times and the're great! I can't wait to see this in the theater! Hopefully they do a great job with it.

After looking around the site now I really want to go watch the moves again :D

Melanie
01-03-2008, 04:06 AM
:confused:

Am I totally dreaming Michael, or did you have a pic of Karen Allen and Shia LeBeouf on here previously? :crazy:

The pic of Spielberg and Lucas (and Harrison Ford, of course) gives me chills.

mjaclyn
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I cannot WAIT to see this movie! I loved all three of the original Indiana Jones movies. I just hope this one lives up to them!

NotaGeek
01-03-2008, 12:52 PM
:confused:

Am I totally dreaming Michael, or did you have a pic of Karen Allen and Shia LeBeouf on here previously? :crazy:

The pic of Spielberg and Lucas (and Harrison Ford, of course) gives me chills.

OOPS! I took it off because I found the movie poster and I couldn't post 4 pics for some reason and it was too late last night to figure it out! Let me try again!

Go it! Ok, I also added an amazing pic of Kate Blanchett!

I am SO excited to see this movie!

pink
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm such a big fan of Shia Lebouf and I'm only seeing this movie because of him- I've never seen any of the other Indy movies but I bet it will be great. :mickey:

NotaGeek
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm such a big fan of Shia Lebouf and I'm only seeing this movie because of him- I've never seen any of the other Indy movies but I bet it will be great. :mickey:

:faint:

Melanie
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM

:faint:

LOL! In her defense Michael, I hadn't seen them until about a year ago. :blush:

2Epcot
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm so excited about seeing this film. Seeing the pictures from the set are great. When I was in AZ for the holidays I showed my wife one of the movie theaters where I used to go all the time when I was a kid. It just happened to be the same theater where me, my dad, and brother stood in a very long line to see the first Indiana Jones film, Raiders of the Lost Ark back when it first came out.

My wife had never seen any of the films, so I got her ready for the next Indy film this summer, by getting her to watch the first three films on DVD.

PrincessCandaceMarie
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm so excited!! I can't wait!!!

Melanie
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
A trailer has been released today. :thumbsup:

Watch here! (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808404510/info)

brownie
02-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Looking forward to it!

NotaGeek
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh my gosh. I am SO excited to see this movie I can't stand it!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I cannot wait for this movie! This will be an epic movie event that we have not had for a long, long time! Maybe only comparable to Star Wars Episode 1 (let's just hope it's better than that dissappointment :D)

But..it's Harrison Ford, it's Indiana Jones for pete's sake! Indiana Jones is arguably the most iconic movie hero ever and the trilogy is certainly one of the best trilogies in movie history, up there with Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars movies.

And it has got both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg working on it, it will be absolutely fantastic! Can't wait! :number1:

murphy1
02-16-2008, 10:15 AM
This is so exciting, I can't wait either!! Indy is one of my all time favs! I loved these movies in HS and college. And HF looks great!

PirateLover
02-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I've had the music in my head since I saw the trailer yesterday! I cannot believe that I hadn't seen the Indy movies until about 2 or 3 years ago. I became obsessed immediately! I'm kind of bummed they couldn't get Sean Connery back for this one, but I'm still excited.

2Epcot
02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
The trailer looked fantastic. The humor and style is so much like the first films, obvioulsy having Spielberg and Lucas' mark all over it. I can't wait to see the movie.

laughingplace<3
02-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I haven't seen any of the movies but I am almost pirates-level excited to see this movie. I'll have to see the other ones beforehand though.

This is coming out the day after Pirates came out last year... :)

murphy1
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I've had the music in my head since I saw the trailer yesterday! I cannot believe that I hadn't seen the Indy movies until about 2 or 3 years ago. I became obsessed immediately! I'm kind of bummed they couldn't get Sean Connery back for this one, but I'm still excited.

I keep forgetting you are probably young enough to be my daughter b/c we are always on the PR thread here! LOL I am so excited that everyone will get to see this in the theater just like we did originally! I don't think anyone will forget the ark scene at the end of the first movie. I love Sean Connery too! My kids are so excited to go on ET ride at Universal, they don't even know how old this movie really is, too funny!

DisneyDudet
02-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I am young, but watched these movies as a LITTLE kid. My mother was a history major and teacher (and Harrison Ford fan), so I watched these just as much as I did The Little Mermaid and the such. I had lines from The Last Crusade memorized when I was in elementary school.

I was at Step Up 2 Friday afternoon, and saw this trailer, and txt my mom. She has already put it on her calendar, will take the day off, and hopefully get to a midnight showing! Indiana is her Jack Sparrow! I know she and I will be going, as we both are just huge fans.

I am just way too excited. Gotta love the allusions to so many things in the Indy films. The music changes in The Last Crusade when they walk by paintings of The Ark on the wall of the Catacombs in Venice... yeah.. gotta be big fans of that! And the name of the bar in Temple of Doom... (alludes to Star Wars). There are a lot of Lucas/Spielburg type references to past movies.. its really fun to find them (a lot in the background).

I just can't wait!

PirateLover
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I keep forgetting you are probably young enough to be my daughter b/c we are always on the PR thread here! LOL I am so excited that everyone will get to see this in the theater just like we did originally! I don't think anyone will forget the arc scene at the end of the first movie. I love Sean Connery too! My kids are so excited to go on ET ride at Universal, they don't even know how old this movie really is, too funny!

Hahah I think you might've had to be a young mom to have had me but yea, Last Crusade came out when I was 4, I wasn't born for the others. (I'm 22 for the record). Still, many people I know grew up watching them, I just never got around to it until my fiance sat me down and said you have to watch these movies, you'll love them. :D

GrmGrninGost
02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
AWESOME!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!! :mickey:

murphy1
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Hahah I think you might've had to be a young mom to have had me but yea, Last Crusade came out when I was 4, I wasn't born for the others. (I'm 22 for the record). Still, many people I know grew up watching them, I just never got around to it until my fiance sat me down and said you have to watch these movies, you'll love them. :D

Now he's a great guy!!!!!!!!!!

2Epcot
02-19-2008, 01:47 AM
I just never got around to it until my fiance sat me down and said you have to watch these movies, you'll love them. :D

That exactly how I got my wife to watch them not too long ago. I gave her the set and told her to watch these before the next film come out. She also enjoyed them. I on the other hand am old enough that I went to see the first film when I was a kid.

Mufasa
02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I was wondering how Indy 4 would turn out, but am happy with what I've seen from the trailer.

My biggest concern was the amount of time since the Last Crusade, and how that would affect the filmmaking approach because a lot of filmmakers think they have to present certain gimmicks to audiences today that aren't necessarily good for storytellling (call it the Matrix effect, or worse, the shaki-cam, over the shoulder, fast cut action of the Bourne movies).

Now, I do like the tension of the action shots in the Bourne films, but the shaki-cam work will make you motion sick. And then some of the stunts/effects put on screen are just way too over the top (Live Free and Die Hard was a joke).

Would they get sucked into relying heavily on wowing us with CG effects, and then what effect would there be on the way the film would be shot since a different cinematographer- Janusz Kaminski would be trying to emulate the work of Douglas Slocombe. Spielberg himself has changed his artistic and directing style so much, would a new Indy film have the same feel to it?

What comes across is that everyone seems to have had a lot of fun making the film so I don't think the fans will be disappointed and I can't wait for May!

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
:thumbsup:Looks awesome! Can't wait to see this one.

Jared
02-24-2008, 03:37 PM
My roommate and I borrowed the complete DVD set and watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" last night. I want to see all three before the fourth installment comes out in May. I can't believe this and "The Dark Knight" are coming out in the same summer!

WDWFREAK101
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I know that somebody already posted something like this but I want to start another thread stricktly on this movie. Who wants to see it? I'm looking forward to it. I am a big fan of Steven Spielberg and I enjoyed the Indianna Jones films as a kid. Anybody else looking forward to it?

Melanie
04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm going to merge this with the existing thread we have on the movie. :thumbsup:

WDWFREAK101
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I am so mad because I have to go on my son's 8th grade graduation trip with him and the movie opens while we will be gone! Oh well, maybe we can skip a couple hours and I can take him. I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!! :number1::thumbsup::number1::thumbsup::number1::nu mber1::number1::number1: First show time of the first day at the closest theatre. This is the ONE excuse I can miss Disney. I love Disney so much but we are going to Animal Kingdom on that day and that is my least favorite park. I'm still excited though!

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
We just watched the past three this weekend...My DS is now wanting to see this bad...Cant wait...:thumbsup:

JanetMegan
05-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I was wondering how Indy 4 would turn out, but am happy with what I've seen from the trailer.

My biggest concern was the amount of time since the Last Crusade, and how that would affect the filmmaking approach because a lot of filmmakers think they have to present certain gimmicks to audiences today that aren't necessarily good for storytellling (call it the Matrix effect, or worse, the shaki-cam, over the shoulder, fast cut action of the Bourne movies).

Now, I do like the tension of the action shots in the Bourne films, but the shaki-cam work will make you motion sick. And then some of the stunts/effects put on screen are just way too over the top (Live Free and Die Hard was a joke).

Would they get sucked into relying heavily on wowing us with CG effects, and then what effect would there be on the way the film would be shot since a different cinematographer- Janusz Kaminski would be trying to emulate the work of Douglas Slocombe. Spielberg himself has changed his artistic and directing style so much, would a new Indy film have the same feel to it?

What comes across is that everyone seems to have had a lot of fun making the film so I don't think the fans will be disappointed and I can't wait for May!

I c ame to find this thread and bump it in hopes someone had already mentioned this-and you have ;)

After watching some of the commercials and previews I'm really disappointed that the movie looks very "digital-y" just like Mufasa is talking about here. I really wish they had gone more traditional "action" as opposed to computer generated stuff. I'm still excited about the movie, but a little nervous it will be over the top with effects when I always loved these movies for the "real stuff."

DisneyDudet
05-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I c ame to find this thread and bump it in hopes someone had already mentioned this-and you have ;)

After watching some of the commercials and previews I'm really disappointed that the movie looks very "digital-y" just like Mufasa is talking about here. I really wish they had gone more traditional "action" as opposed to computer generated stuff. I'm still excited about the movie, but a little nervous it will be over the top with effects when I always loved these movies for the "real stuff."

That is what I thought. It seems so out of place for an Indy movie, but it might just turn out really great!

I bought my tickets for the midnight showing today. I will try to print them out tomorrow at the theater.

My mother is about as excited as I was with PotC 2 and 3!

2Epcot
05-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Over the last couple of days I've been able to watch all the press material that has been provided so far by the film, and Spielberg and Lucas talk about the fact that Spielberg wanted to make the film look as much like the old ones as possible. I don't know what people are judging as far as too digital. I'm not a fan of all the digital stuff myself ... I prefered the real models used in the early Star Wars films to the the CGI models used in the later films.

For this new Indy film Spielberg did not want to do any green screen computer generated sets like were done for most of the new Star Wars films. The sets in this movie for the most part are all large practical sets, build at great expense (which is Spielberg's style), remember a film called The Terminal ... they built an entire working airport terminal for that movie.
Spielberg likes shooting on real sets, and doing real stunts. Spielberg says Harrison did more stunts on this film then any other Indy film, now that the ability to remove wires is much easier.

That doesn't mean that they aren't some digital mattes and compositing work in the movie. The cliff scene from the trailer looks like a composite, but one of the sets in this film is quite amazing, and is a real practical set. The press material includes some filming on this set. I wouldn't make judgements based a two minute trailer ... This will not be anything like the latest Die Hard movie.

DisneyDudet
05-21-2008, 09:48 AM
So, I am going to the midnight showing tonight! I am so excited!!

Anyone else going?

DisneyDudet
05-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Just back from the midnight showing.

Its so cool! The story is a little slow to develop, but its very interesting, and if you understand, slightly, the history of it, it makes it easier to follow. Luckily, my mother the history teacher, was there to explain it if I needed it.

The special effects weren't overly digitalized, which was a major concern to a lot of us. I enjoyed the visuals quite a bit. There were a few that I was like, nah, but mostly it was pretty well put together.

The film is very Lucus and Spielberg style. I enjoyed it, but my favorite still remains to be The Last Crusade.

Shia LaBeouf is VERY good in this movie. He just grows as an actor with every movie he makes. And, he's pretty easy on the eyes :cloud9:

I will see it again. We (my mother and I ) will take my father on Sunday, so I get to fill in the things I was confused on, and follow it better.

As far as seeing the other movies beforehand, its not really necessary. If you can only see one before you go, I would watch Raiders of the Lost Ark. That will give you the best background.

Go see it, I wasn't disappointed!

SunnyLee
05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night...or this morning...whatever... I went and saw :popcorn:Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull :cowboy:...and I LOVED it...

Now don't get me wrong...it will never compare to the original 3 (well 1 or 3 ..in my opinion..#2 is not so good)...but to see my Hottie Harrison adorn that fedora and crack that whip again...just chills up and down my spine!!!! :joy:

...I'm not going to spoil anything but go see it...and then let me know what you thought!!!

I WILL SAY THIS: You will SOOOOOOOO apprepicate the MUSIC (gotta love John Williams), the obvious references to the originals, and of course the familiar face w/ the same familiar scarastic comments!!!! :waycool:

...yes I went to bed at 3am..and yes I got up at 6am for work...

elmjimmlm
05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
We are taking our DS Sat. to see it...I am wondering if it is age appropriate? Are there things in it that he doesnt need to see?

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Can't wait! We're going tomorrow night with the kids and a couple of DS10's friends..... DS4 has been singing The Raiders March all week!

2Epcot
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I WILL SAY THIS: You will SOOOOOOOO apprepicate the MUSIC (gotta love John Williams), the obvious references to the originals, and of course the familiar face w/ the same familiar scarastic comments!!!! :waycool:

I will be seeing the movie tomorrow night, but one of the things that make these films so great is the wonderful music of John Williams. In the interviews for Indy 4, Spielberg talks about how the great score John created for the character just brings Indiana Jones to life.

I watched several minutes of John Williams talking about doing this latest fim, and he along with the others was very happy to be back working on another Indiana Jones film.
John Willams talked about how unlike most films, the Indy scores often plays right to the action of the movie, similar to early cartoons like Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny ... Something the filmakers liked early on, and have kept through all the films. He also said it was great to be able to bring back Marion Ravenwood's theme from the first movie.

Jasper
05-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I know there have only been a few of you to weigh in here so far who have actually seen the film and your comments have been mostly positive. However, in listening to the national news from, I believe, the Associated Press at 4:30pm Eastern Time there were a whole lot more people saying that they really hated the movie than those saying that they liked the movie. The chief complaint seemed to be that the story was disjointed and hard to follow.

Just wondering what you who have seen it have to say about this?

Mufasa
05-22-2008, 04:57 PM
We are taking our DS Sat. to see it...I am wondering if it is age appropriate? Are there things in it that he doesnt need to see?

Probably only a few sequences which might scare a little one.

One scene takes place in a graveyard that might be a Boo! moment and then there's a longer sequence at the end of a chase sequence involving ants which may be frightening especially if you don't like insects but also made me think of Raiders-

Indy, why does the floor move?
Give me your torch.
Ants, why did it have to be ants?
Fire Ants. Very Dangerous. You go first.

Jeff G
05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I know there have only been a few of you to weigh in here so far who have actually seen the film and your comments have been mostly positive. However, in listening to the national news from, I believe, the Associated Press at 4:30pm Eastern Time there were a whole lot more people saying that they really hated the movie than those saying that they liked the movie. The chief complaint seemed to be that the story was disjointed and hard to follow.

I'm not seeing this until tomorrow but I am having a hard time believing that more people dislike it than like it. The critics and fans both gave it a B- on Yahoo and on Rotten Tomatoes it's getting a 80&#37; fresh which is very good for an action movie, especially from critics. I thought Prince Caspian was a very good movie and Indiana Jones is getting reviews/scores that are similar to or slightly better.

For those who have saw this, keep the reviews coming.

Mufasa
05-22-2008, 05:20 PM
...there were a whole lot more people saying that they really hated the movie than those saying that they liked the movie. The chief complaint seemed to be that the story was disjointed and hard to follow.

I didn't hate the film but it certainly wasn't near expectations- it's a fun film but I didn't think it was as good as it could have been which did bother me.

In my opinion not anywhere as good as Raiders, or even perhaps Last Crusade (both were definitely above average films) but not as bad as Temple of Doom.

I'll wait for a while to post my complete feelings about the film until others have had an opportunity to see the movie.

laughingplace<3
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm seeing it tonight and am ridiculously excited. You should see the NY times- Indy ads EVERYWHERE.

Jasper
05-22-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not seeing this until tomorrow but I am having a hard time believing that more people dislike it than like it. The critics and fans both gave it a B- on Yahoo and on Rotten Tomatoes it's getting a 80% fresh which is very good for an action movie, especially from critics. I thought Prince Caspian was a very good movie and Indiana Jones is getting reviews/scores that are similar to or slightly better.

For those who have saw this, keep the reviews coming.

That is why I asked the question. Unfortunately the very people who are suppose to be providing unbiased opinions are really being courted heavily by the studios to give them good reviews. A few years ago there was a documentary about this on PBS and it was amazing all the gifts and things that many reviewers are given in return for positive reviews. And since there is no real "public interest" as the courts define it at play here it is perfectly legal for them to do this. As a result, I am usually more interested in hearing what the "average Joe" has to say about a movie before I decide to see it rather than what the critics say.

Of course, there are times when I really don't care what anyone else says about a movie because I am so in love with that particular franchise that I will see it regardless of anyone else's opinion.

DisneyDudet
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I didn't hate the film but it certainly wasn't near expectations- it's a fun film but I didn't think it was as good as it could have been which did bother me.

In my opinion not anywhere as good as Raiders, or even perhaps Last Crusade (both were definitely above average films) but not as bad as Temple of Doom.

I'll wait for a while to post my complete feelings about the film until others have had an opportunity to see the movie.

I agree. Walking out of the film, most people said, "It was good, just not what I expected." That pretty much sums it up for me.

Its better than Temple of Doom, but doesn't have that classic quality of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade (my ult. fav!!). Its MUCH better than Temple of Doom, I will say. Its just different. We'll see it again Sunday probably, and maybe another time.

Its just.... not what I expected.

DisneyDudet
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM

There's no face melting or hearts being pulled out. There is violece and some "blowing up" of things that might need to be explained. There's plenty of toe curling moments involving snakes (Snakes.. why'd it have to be snakes), and bugs (ah!)... but that is fine form Indy fashion. If he has seen the others, that shouldn't be an issue.

I can't think of anythong overly violent (read Iron Man which WAS violent), the typical guns and sword fighting.

d_m_n_n
05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
OMG!! I took DSs (10 & 6) and a couple of their friends out of school early today (I am the Queen Mother of Hooky :secret: ) to see it and WE WEREN'T DISAPPOINTED!! It was soooooo cool! All five of us give it :thumbsup::thumbsup:!

About the storyline...we watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel (I think) a few nights ago which really, really helped us to know where we were in the story. Even DS6 was able to follow along.

Appropriate for little ones...There were a couple of scenes where DS6 covered his ears and closed his eyes, but as soon as it was over he was ready to keep watching. At no time was he ready to leave. Language wise, there were a few bleeps here and there, but nothing "heavy" enough that I was :eek:. And I'm usually pretty sensitive to it...especially having kids with me that weren't my own.

PirateLover
05-23-2008, 12:01 AM
For this new Indy film Spielberg did not want to do any green screen computer generated sets like were done for most of the new Star Wars films.
Wow, that was surprising to read because some scenes just clearly looked like they were green screen or almost entirely digital. (Some of the car chase fighting scenes in the jungle, Shia swinging on the vines). It was one of the things I was a little disappointed in. Overall the movie looked good thought it was just a few blatantly fake scenes.

Its better than Temple of Doom, but doesn't have that classic quality of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade (my ult. fav!!). Its MUCH better than Temple of Doom, I will say.
I have to ask because I hear this a lot...what is with all the Temple of Doom dislike? I really like it and I don't think it gets it's due. It was a lot darker than the others but it had it's merits and I hate to see it ragged on. It was in a different style than Raiders and Last Crusade and so I think people just throw it aside, but I like it. People say Capshaw was a bad actress, but I think the point of it was for her to be the cliched damsel in distress and she was a perfect foil for Indy. The mine cart scene is a cinema classic...and I loved Short Round!

OK, onto the new movie, which I just got back from. I really enjoyed it. I went it to it fully knowing that it wasn't going to be like the originals. Overtime I think that Speilberg and Lucas have lost their touch a little bit. (Lucas more than Speilberg). I found most of the plot highly preposterous (though not disjointed, I followed it easily) but thoroughly entertaining. It was not better than it's predecessors, but it was definitely good and it met my expectations since I was careful not to set them too high to begin with. I really enjoyed it and will most likely see it again. Shia wasn't as annoying as I expected him to be, but I'm not sure I could buy him as the lead in one of these types of movies, which is what the current rumors are.

The graveyard scene really had me on edge, and definitely could be scary for some younger Indy fans. However as others said, if they were not bothered by Temple of Doom, they should be OK with this one. :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
05-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I have to ask because I hear this a lot...what is with all the Temple of Doom dislike?

I don't dislike it, it just isn't as good or has that classic-ness as the other two. I still watch it, but its just not the same.

SpecJoe Magic
05-23-2008, 02:12 AM
I am disappointed with this film. It is an enjoyable movie on its own but much of it feels very disconnected from the previous Indy films. There is far too much CGI whereas the previous films rely on real set pieces that look more authentic. I don't expect realism from an Indiana Jones movie, and I'm perfectly fine with some over-the-top scenes, but this one has moments that are hard for me to accept even in that mindset. I really want to like it more than I actually do because it has been nearly 20 years since The Last Crusade, but I honestly feel let down. That's not to say that I think all of it is bad. There are parts of it that really excite me and make it a joy to be watching a new Indy film after all of these years but those moments are not consistent throughout. I find it to be better than Temple of Doom but not even close to the quality of Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade. It is worth the money to see it once, but I doubt that I'll be compelled to watch it again in the near future.

CaptSmee
05-23-2008, 09:39 PM
so disappointed...but I almost expected to be. The whole Crystal Skull thing was so lame, I felt like I was watching the X-Files not an Indiana Jones movie.:( Harrison was still fun to watch though and Shia was ok too.

Jeff G
05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
I saw the movie tonight and thought it was a very good movie:thumbsup:. Overall it had a traditional Indiana Jones feel to it except a few scenes, mainly the jungle fight. The scene in the graveyard was vintage and I really liked it.

I will definitely see this again either at the drive in or in the theater.

Young@Heart
05-24-2008, 01:10 AM
DS went to see this tonight w/ a friend, and I'm very jealous. He's sleeping over at his friends, but I can't wait to ask him what he thought of it tomorrow. I always loved the Indiana Jones movies.

pink
05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I've heard mixed reviews and someone on another site already spoiled the ending for me so I can see what some people are dissapointed but I'm still excited to see it. I have to see it for myself before I can judge it. I'm glad there are some positive reviews out there. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I have to ask because I hear this a lot...what is with all the Temple of Doom dislike? I really like it and I don't think it gets it's due. It was a lot darker than the others but it had it's merits and I hate to see it ragged on. It was in a different style than Raiders and Last Crusade and so I think people just throw it aside, but I like it. People say Capshaw was a bad actress, but I think the point of it was for her to be the cliched damsel in distress and she was a perfect foil for Indy.
I don't dislike all of the Temple of Doom, just any scenes with Kate Capshaw in them--sorry! Too much screaming!!! Ugh--glad Indy is back to spunky Marion in the new movie. I also thought that the Temple of Doom relied less on an intelligent storyline and more on somewhat over-the-top gore.

I'm glad to hear that most people think the movie was good, if not great. We are going to see it this afternoon on IMAX. :)

2Epcot
05-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I went to see the new Indiana Jones film last night, on Friday. During the day I watched both Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Last Crusade to have both of them fresh in my mind. I enjoyed The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull very much, and didn't think it was a departure from the other films at all.

There is far too much CGI whereas the previous films rely on real set pieces that look more authentic. .

This film did have a lot of CGI elements (mostly enhancements and characters) but most of that was not the sets in the film. This film has plenty of great real sets. The digital mattes that I did notice in this film were no different then the blimp scenes in Last Crusade which looked far less realistic in that film then anything in this current film.

Overall it had a traditional Indiana Jones feel to it except a few seen, mainly the chase scene in the jungle. The scene in the graveyard was vintage and I really liked it.

Each Indiana Jones film has a had a long chase sequence. In Raiders we saw him going under the truck, in Temple of Doom the mine chase, in Last Crusade the tank chase sequence. I found the jungle sequence right along the lines of other classic Indiana Jones chases. Every film has had it over-the-top chases.

I also liked all the elements that were very similar to past movies that were throughout Crystal Skull. Some of them were more subtle then others.

The whole Crystal Skull thing was so lame, I felt like I was watching the X-Files not an Indiana Jones movie.:( Harrison was still fun to watch though and Shia was ok too.

Even though I have seen the old movies many times I purposely waited until just before seeing the new movie to watch them again. The Crystal Skull story line to me was not that far from all the other Indiana Jones movies. In all of the films, fantasy, mythology and spirituality have played a major part of the storyline.

These films were created by George Lucas to be similar to the old style serial films he grew up watching. Over the years I have enjoyed the work of David Koepp, the screenwriter. I think he not only kept the films in the style George has always wanted them to be, but looking at the time setting of this film in the 50's, and all the unbelievable things Indy has seen traveling the world ... We actually get to see him surprised by something for once. I thought that was great.

My only problem with the movie was Karen Allen's character. I love seeing her back in the movie, and I glad they chose her, but to me it wasn't the same character of Marion Ravenwood. Now maybe some of that can be chalked up to her growing up and maturing, but I almost felt like I was just watching Karen Allen being so happy to be working again in a major film more then Marion Ravenwood character that was created in Raiders.

Harrison and Shia were great together much like Ford and Connery in the Last Crusade. I wouldn't mind seeing the film again.

murphy1
05-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Marion didn't outdrink anybody, I was shocked they didn't throw that in! Part of me liked it and part of me was sad for some reason to see Harrison Ford as an older Indy, maybe b/c I'm getting older, but nothing is ever going to beat the first movie, it is definitely my all time favorite movie. Cate Blanchett can portray anybody, I thought she was a great villain. I would say it's worth going to see, I laughed a bit too and of course squirmed at the right times.

barnaby
05-25-2008, 07:21 PM
. The whole Crystal Skull thing was so lame, I felt like I was watching the X-Files not an Indiana Jones movie.:(

Thats how I felt also.

I was disappointed. I enjoyed it, but the "angle" the movie took as far as where the crystal skulls came from kinda ruined it for me.

Good to see Indy and Marion again though, although I missed seeing Marcus. :(

murphy1
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Oooh, I was not happy with what they did to Marcus' statue!

Crow
05-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Im a little afraid of how it will be but hope to see it tomorrow.
waiting for the Blu ray releases of Indy

elmjimmlm
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
We just got back from seeing it and I will have to say that it was not what I expected...The story line was far from the others but I did like it...IMO Harrison Ford is not an "old man" by any means...He was true Indiana Jones...I dont think that you will be disappointed with this new one...:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-26-2008, 01:32 AM
We saw it today and I liked it but I thought it was pretty predictable - I guessed far too much of the plot in advance for my liking. I thought Harrison Ford was great - he portrayed an older Indy just as I would think he would be. The whole Crystal Skull thing was a bit over the top, the sword fight on the vehicles in the jungle was totally over the top, and I was so disappointed that they only had 1 snake in the whole movie - it just didn't seem right.

Mickey052501
05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
My husband and I saw this movie last night and we really liked it!!!

IloveDisney71
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I really liked the new movie. I thought the action scenes were very reminiscent of the first 3 Indy movies. I thought the over the top scenes were in keeping with the original movies.
I did think that Marion's role could have been written better - she was so different that I wouldn't have even known who she was except for her name. People change, but not that much.

Aurora
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I think that if I had seen this movie first, before all the other Indy movies, I would have LOVED it. But seeing it after all the others, it was just good. I agree with kakn -- there were a lot of plot points that were way too telegraphed -- I can name three (SPOILERS HERE):

Shia's mom "Mary" was Marion,
Indy was his dad,
and the skull was from an alien.

I did love the graveyard scene and the jungle scenes; my favorite for some reason was the waterfall scene. I thought the last scene, the climax, was REALLY CHEESY!!! But that's just me.

I also LOVED Shia LaBeouf in this movie -- his acting was better by far than anyone else's, even Cate Blanchett's. If the torch is being passed to him, as was forcefully implied, I think he'll make a GREAT hero.

Beast_fanatic
05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
We saw it this morning and enjoyed it. I didn't think the storyline was hard to follow although it was a bit predictable. It wasn't the best Indy movie ever, but it was a fun flick.

By the way, the theater was full (we went to the 10am show) and there was clapping at the end of it.

NJDad
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I enjoyed it as well. Little disappointed in the cinematography...seemed not as crisp as the originals, maybe to keep the wrinkles softened. Thought they'd go with a more 50s technicolor look.

As for the CGI, don't think it was any worse than some of the mattework/model work in the originals, at least you got the feeling much of the time there were actual sets and actors.

brownie
05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
We saw it Sunday and I thought it was really good. We enjoyed it and I'm glad they finally made another.

As far as the CGI goes, had it been available and of good quality when the other films were made, you might have seen more of it in them.

Dixie Springs
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
We saw it and liked everything but the 'climax'.

I also wasn't sure about Indy's instant and distinguished military history - this seemed quickly contrived to account for his disdain for the villains du joir. Come on! He's Indy, not Jack Ryan!

I'm surprised at all the negative posts on excessive CGI - I thought I heard they intentionally minimized CGI for this film. I don't recall any obvious CGI - I'll have to check on the second viewing.

One more absolutely shallow comment - that is the best Kate Blanchette has looked in a film.

laughingplace<3
05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I was very disappointed with this movie. I thought that Ford and Spielburg completely lost their touch of Indy. The story plot was cheap and uncreative. Details were loose. Since there was such a long time between the last film and this one, I was expecting a very nice, clean connection to the past of Indy and I didn't feel like I got that at all.

The film had many cool concepts brought to the table, but I feel like they were over-dramatic or not detailed enough. I'm sorry for this harsh criticism to all of the people who enjoyed this film. Indy is a huge cultural icon and the films are very well done, but I felt kind of ripped off with this one- they could have done so much better, and I feel like instead of having their hearts in it, it was more of a marketing film.

thrillme
05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Awww shucks...I liked it.

I just went with my family yesterday. We enjoyed it. Harrison Ford has aged a bit. I'm 20 years younger than he is but some of those punches...owch...I'm still feeling sore today.

Jared
05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I wasn't planning to post a review, but Chris convinced me by requesting one in his response to my trip report.

Perhaps my expectations were low, or maybe everyone else's were too high. It could be I'm too young and disconnected from the franchise to have such unwavering nostalgia. I don't quite know why, but I liked the movie and don't really understand all the criticism. I almost think many of the old-time Indiana Jones fans hold the character, and the original trilogy, in such high regard, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas could not have done anything to appease them.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is not the best Indy movie. Not even close. It's not even in the same ballpark as "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (one of my favorite films of all-time) and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." But it may be just as good as "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," which is a fine flick in its own right.

This movie lacked the magic and punch of the original and did not have a sidekick like Sean Connery, who rejuvenated the franchise and placed Indiana Jones on the short list of best trilogies ever in the third one. It did have a lot of action, one-liners and excitement. The chase sequence was amazing, and Shia LeBeouf did a fine job as Indy's sidekick. Some of the supernatural stuff was a little surprising at first, but how was it different than the ghosts in "Raiders" and the heart in "Temple?"

"Crystal Skull" may be the worst of the four movies, though I argue it's at least on-par with "Temple," but I disagree it should be considered separate to the original trilogy. I think it fits into the Indiana Jones perfectly and should go into antiquity as the fourth movie in a wonderful franchise, not that weird fourth movie that came out of nowhere years after Indy was past his prime.

2Epcot
05-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Jared, I'm glad you were convinced to write a review ... I'm also waiting for Mufasa's review.

"Crystal Skull" may be the worst of the four movies, though I argue it's at least on-par with "Temple," but I disagree it should be considered separate to the original trilogy. I think it fits into the Indiana Jones perfectly and should go into antiquity as the fourth movie in a wonderful franchise, not that weird fourth movie that came out of nowhere years after Indy was past his prime.

Raiders and The Last Crusade, like most people, are my favorites of the original trilogies ... Though I don't dislike Temple of Doom, as so many others do. I do have a lot of nostalgia for these movies since, as I've written, I stood in line as a kid with my brother and dad for the very first film.

Usually when I go see a film I know exactly what to expect, and I appreciate each film for the type, and style of that film ... comedy, drama, animation, horror, action, romantic comedy. I love all types of films, so it is rare that I'm completly dissapointed by a movie. I would put Crystal Skull somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd Indy films as far as how much I enjoyed them, and agree it was better then Temple of Doom. As I mentioned before, I also thought it fit in well with the series unlike the third Die Hard film which I thought was a departure from the first two films.

PirateLover
05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jared. Your review pretty much encapsulates exactly how I feel, but in a much cleaner, concise style. I guess that's why you're majoring in journalism :thumbsup:

I wonder too if it's a generational thing. I think you are only two years younger than myself (I'm 22). My fiancee is about to turn 25, my brother is 26. All of us enjoyed the movie as well for the most part.

Crow
05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Im still thinking about what I thought of it.
I liked the nods to Sean Connery & Marcus.& it was nice to see Karen Allen back.
they did use a lot of CGI
sequel is left open.
I wouldnt consider it the best of the Indys I think.
but I will get the set on Bluray

Diznee4Me
05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Saw it twice. All in all, pretty good. Had a few problems with the storyline but it was great to see Indy in action again.

NotaGeek
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
I though the movie was ok. Along with the other folks of a certain age on here, I remember standing in line with my folks for the other 3 movies, and I loved them all. I watched them last weekend to gear myself up for seeing the movie this weekend.

I have to say this. Harrison Ford was too old for this role. Nothing against his acting. He perfected Indy. Shai was awesome, and I hope that Speilberg really does make a new film with Shai as the star.

I thought the CGI was great and necessary. I mean how else can you make an alien space ship? I had more problems with the story line -- for being such a long movie and trying to weave a story and leave open opportunity for another movie passing the torch (Shai wanting to try on the infamous Indy hat was cute) ... the story was kind of disjointed.

The Reservoir Dog
06-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I was fairly disappointed with the film. I know you aren't meant to take these things too seriously but how did a load of Russians with weapons get into America in the late 50's and how on earth did he manage to meet up with a Cockney sidekick?

As for Shia Labeouf I've never seen such a wooden performance since Keira Knightly.( The scene with him on the motorbike trying to look like Brando was nothing but laughable) I really do hope they don't continue with this with him as the lead role. The whole appeal of the Indiana Jones character was that he was an educated man and that many of the clues he solved was through his knowledge of the subject.

Certainly not on a par with Raiders or The last Crusade.

Disneyatic
06-02-2008, 02:52 PM
As for Shia Labeouf I've never seen such a wooden performance since Keira Knightly.( The scene with him on the motorbike trying to look like Brando was nothing but laughable) I really do hope they don't continue with this with him as the lead role. The whole appeal of the Indiana Jones character was that he was an educated man and that many of the clues he solved was through his knowledge of the subject.

I actually liked Shia in this role and think that he would be a great fit to carry on the franchise. He has that rash on the outside but introspective quality that Indy had in the first movies.
I don't think that he appeared uneducated in the movie. I think they were portraying him as a young man who hadn't found his passion yet and as the movie went on you could see him developing an interest in the history of what they were searching for and that led me to believe that he had discovered his passion....

Who knows, just goes to show that everyone interprets the story telling a bit different and gets something different from the movie and experience!

PirateLover
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Shia was OK in his role, but I don't think I'd enjoy a movie with him essentially replacing Indy. When the hat blew his way at the end in my head I was screaming "No no no!" I am so glad he didn't put it on.

Marceline
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Saw it last night and LOVED it! Yeah, Harrison is a senior citizen now but he carried it off splendidly. I really liked what they did with the "love interest" subplot, I found it very appropriate and gratifying.:blush:

I thought I was going to hate the idea of Shia being handed the torch on this franchise but now that I have viewed the film I am pleased to feel differently about him.:thumbsup:

A 5th flick with Shia as the main Protaganist, who has grown up a bit with Indy as his sidekick ala Ford/Connery in part 3, would be awesome!!!:cool:

Mufasa
06-03-2008, 03:28 AM
If you read this entire write-up then perhaps you will think that I've over analyzed things but as soon as the film took a turn and went over the top (refrigerator testing?) I was half expecting when Shia showed up to turn to the camera, let out a "Whoa" and "Aaay" and snap his fingers, gives a big thumbs up at the camera like the Fonz while on his motorcycle as he set up to jump over a shark.

I think that can pretty much sum up my feelings on this film.

Now if you want details on why I was disappointed with Indy 4- to me, it didn't feel like an Indy movie and instead seemed like it was like many films that have been influenced by the "classic" Indy films but fell short in several areas.

First, there was the lack of character development especially when it came to the antagonists. For example, with Indy's friend Mac- it seemed like he was a composite character to have elements of Sallah and Belloq, but there wasn't enough reason for the viewers to establish a trust in his loyalty to Indy outside of what we had to infer from their war experiences together, and nothing to really indicate that he had the skill to rival and thus hate him as a bad guy like Belloq.

Then there's Cate Blanchette's character Spalko- sure she represented a Soviet agent, but what was the real threat to Indy? It almost seemed like they were going to establish more into her character having some psychic abilities whether mind reading or clairvoyance but didn't follow up on that character angle and her portrayal came across to me honestly like some bad characterization of Natasha of Boris and Natasha from Rocky & Bullwinkle.

The same could be said of Harold Oxley- there was a lot they could have done with the idea that locked in his mind were these clues on where to return the crystal skull and I liked how he would reveal hints through poetry, but the depiction of the character, especially with the costume choice and just the portrayal in general made it seem like he was some hippie stoner and detracted from the character.

There was something about the action/stunt sequences (outside of the sequences in the warehouse or the motorcycle chase through campus which I felt were good)- like the elaborate jungle chase that just didn't feel right.

One of the things I think I enjoyed about the original Indy films is that in the end while Indy would make it through whatever challenge was in front of him, he was sure to get beat up along the way but the sequences were played more for comedic effect this time around without a truly palpable sense of danger to Indy or his companions.

At least with the motorcycle chase in this film what helped that sequence is that it evoked memories of the motorcycle sequence in Last Crusade, this time with Indy almost in the role of Henry Jones Sr.

The entire jungle sequence was again over the top.

I hated Shia swinging through the jungle as Tarzan and enlisting the support of monkeys attacking Spalko, the ants were out of character- didn't care for the CGI and it felt like something you'd see out of a film like the Mummy series that were influenced by Indy and the entire driving off the cliff and landing on the tree branch before going down the waterfalls was completely silly.

What about the crystal skull as a plot device? The mythology and basis of a story on the mysteries of crystal skulls has a lot of potential but where was the payoff in the end? So we discover that the crystal skull IS alien... but now what?

There were none of the elaborate puzzles, traps or challenges in this film along the way.

What was truly lacking in this film but a big part of the other films is that it never was so much about the artifacts but Indy discovering something by way of the journey. It seemed like everyone was just going through the motions in this film.

Goofster
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Overall, I liked the movie and saw it a second time. Was it as good as Raiders and Crusade, not exactly, but it was still good. I think the main problem that people have with the movie is the comparison to Raiders and Last Crusade. Those two movies were designed to mimic the serial cliffhangers of the 30s and 40s. Lucas took a different route with Crystal Skull by designing it to mimic the B-Movies from the 1950s - attack of killer insects (army ants), martians, and over-the-top action scenes (Shia swinging through the jungle). When you see Lucas's intention behind the film, and separate it from the Raiders and Crusade style, then Indy 4's style makes sense.

However, that is where the problem is - most movie goers, especially those that grew up with Indy (like me), have identified Indy as essentially its own genre - not many realize the stylistic choice Lucas made with Crystal Skull.

Overall, I liked Crystal Skull, but I think Lucas should have stuck with mimicing the 30s and 40s style with Crystal Skull. Though I can see his creative choice given Indy 4 is set in 1957.

2Epcot
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
If you read this entire write-up then perhaps you will think that I've over analyzed things but as soon as the film took a turn and went over the top (refrigerator testing?) I was half expecting when Shia showed up to turn to the camera, let out a "Whoa" and "Aaay" and snap his fingers, gives a big thumbs up at the camera like the Fonz while on his motorcycle as he set up to jump over a shark.

I think that can pretty much sum up my feelings on this film.

A good analyzes I think Mufasa ... I actually agree with a lot of your comments about the film and characters, though I still enjoyed the movie ... I also thought the part with the monkeys could have been left out.

RAIDER
06-04-2008, 04:06 AM
I saw it last night and my honest opinion is that this film was utter rubbish ...Which is a shame as i loved the other 3 .

Indiana Jones sons acting ( sorry i cant even be bothered to find out his name ) was awful and in some parts his acting was toe curling .....

So sad after waiting so long that this film that the storyline was so bad ....The ending was just awful .

Will give it another go when it comes out on dvd incase i was expecting too much however

The trailer for the MUMMY 3 looks good

Melanie
06-08-2008, 06:46 AM
My family really enjoyed it. I was never the Indy enthusiast so many here are. I looked at it as good summer movie fare, and it delivered.

I thought Harrison was fine. I see him in interviews and he's definitely looking older, but I didn't really feel that in the movie. Make-up does wonders!

And I actually liked Shia in the role. I wouldn't mind more movies with him as the star.

Disneyexpert15
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I saw it with my dad during opening weekend. I really liked it. I'll buy it when it comes out onto dvd. Harrison Ford aged a little bit. That didn't bother me much.

pink
06-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I watched two of the first Indy films before watching this one and I have to say I liked the new one the best. I don't care how old Harrison Ford is, he still did a fantastic job of being Indiana Jones and Shia Labeouf was a good sidekick. Plus he looked good in his greaser outfit. :cool: My DBF also liked this one the best too. :mickey:

alphamommy
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
DH and I finally saw Indy 4 this weekend.

Overall, I liked it, although there were some parts I thought were a little strange. First of all, as others have said, the Tarzan scene was ridiculous. I also thought the detour into "Chariots of Fire" territory was odd. I guess I see Goofster's point about 50s B-movie sci-fi, but it was rather far-fetched.

Spoiler: When the space ship was taking off, I was waiting for the "Close Encounters" music to kick in ("Do-do-do, do-doooo").

As for Harrison Ford, I would pay money to watch him read the phone book, so he was fine. Really fine. Amazing, in fact...:cloud9:

I will buy it when it comes out, but it wasn't as good as "Raiders" or "Crusade".

WDWFREAK101
06-16-2008, 02:57 PM
You can see George Lucas' fingers all over this abomination. I was looking forward to this movie but with low expectations because lets face it, we all knew that this wouldn't be as good as the other 3, but this film just can't be taken seriously like the other 3. Why are aliens in this? Why? George Lucas if you are reading this then keep this in mind: WE ALL KNOW YOU LOVE ALIENS! STOP MAKING FILMS WITH ALIENS IN THEM!! He ruined Star Wars for me but NOW he ruined Indianna Jones for me! That isn't even possible! How can you mess around with Dr. Jones? Indianna Jones is a household name and now George Lucas ruined the trilogy with it! Also, I'm really sick of people bashing on Temple Of Doom. I guess I'm the only person in the world that actually likes that movie? Why do you guys not like it? Sure, Short Round and Willie can get annoying some times but I thought it was a very fun ride. The first film was an instant classic. the second wasn't as memorable but still a classic, the thrid was eye level with Temple Of Doom (Yes I know, I liked Temple Of Doom a lot) This movie however doesn't deserve to be called an Indianna Jones movie. Indianna Jones used to fight Nazis and big, scary guys from Temple but now he is fighting communisim and Aliens Yeah you heard me ALIENS The first half of the film you could tell was Spielberg because the movie was decent. The second half was ALL George Lucas' fault. The fact that this script even got passed Spielberg surprises me. Some of the scenes in this film just make NO sense! Indy finds the one way to survive a nuclear explosion... That way: Climb into your fridge. :confused: umm... did I miss something? Not only that but the thing flies what seems miles away and crash lands with Dr. Jones inside it and he just walks out safely. :confused: Don't even get me started on the 3 scenes that got to me the most: Mutt Williams swinging the vines like Tarzan,
Marian falling off the cliff landing in a tree, slingshots backwards and knocks the communist car off the road. All this time they also are in a car. It's not over yet, they then fall over a waterfall with rocks at the bottom THEN fall down another and THEN ANOTHER!!! I just don't understand how NOBODY got hurt, this is the last one that got me mad....
They passed the torch... THEY PASSED THE TORCH to Mutt Williams. I just KNOW that there is going to be a movie called Mutt Williams and the (Insert movie here)
Steven Spielberg needs to go back to making movies without George Lucas and making classics! George Lucas: YOU NEED TO RETIRE! THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN'T MESS UP!
I wouldn't be so harsh if it was another Harrison Ford flick because I love that guy and I love Spielberg as well and this is why I'm so mad! Indianna Jones was a childhood Icon he was my HERO when I was a kid but now George Lucas changed into somebody we don't really care about anymore! We don't like the bad guys anymore, we don't think that Indy is in any real trouble anymore, we don't care for the action at all anymore. HOW DID THIS SCRIPT GO BY SPIELBERG?!?! I really want to know that! Spielberg is a classic director/producer and i think he will go down as one of the greatest stars in all of Hollywood but come on Spielberg shape up! Fire Lucas and have nothing to do with him anymore. Lucas needs to know that we are laughing At him not With him. I'm so mad that I had to go out and watch all of the trailers for a much worse movie "The Happening" to prove that there are worse films out there. I would give this 2 out of 5 stars because of the first half of the film but if that first half wasn't in there and they did an alternate, it would be a 1 out of 5. Well, I'm looking forward to Wall E hopefully that will be good so it will keep my mind off of Jones...

MNNHFLTX
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Also, I'm really sick of people bashing on Temple Of Doom. I guess I'm the only person in the world that actually likes that movie? Why do you guys not like it? Sure, Short Round and Willie can get annoying some times but I thought it was a very fun ride.As I mentioned in my post, the main reason I didn't like Temple of Doom was Kate Capshaw's performance, pure and simple. All that screaming was like fingers on a chalk board to me and there weren't enough other redeeming factors in her performance to compensate for that. I also thought that the film relied more on over-the-top gore than the other two (original films). Short Round was okay, however.

That a perspective on a film can differ so much from person to person is what makes the discussion of them so interesting. If you like the film, that's fine. To each their own. :)

pink
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Marian falling off the cliff landing in a tree, slingshots backwards and knocks the communist car off the road. All this time they also are in a car. It's not over yet, they then fall over a waterfall with rocks at the bottom THEN fall down another and THEN ANOTHER!!! I just don't understand how NOBODY got hurt, this is the last one that got me mad....

If you're such an Indiana Jones fan then I guess you can recall the time when Indy, the young boy and that rich women were in a plane and ran out of parachutes so they all had to share one for three people then somehow it become a raft and helped them land safely on a mountain and then all of a sudden they are tubbing down the snowy hill and then fall off a cliff into a river and still are alive. Kind of the same concepts. Yes, they are rediculous and no one in real life would survive those situation but he is Indiana Jones and it's just a movie.

Melanie
08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
`Indy' heads to home video with Oct. 14 release

LOS ANGELES - Indiana Jones entered the atomic age in his latest movie. Now he's joining the Blu-ray era.

The blockbuster "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" arrives on DVD and Blu-ray high-definition disc Oct. 14, distributor Paramount announced Tuesday.

The first "Indiana Jones" flick in 19 years, "Crystal Skull" reunited Harrison Ford in the title role with director Steven Spielberg and executive producer George Lucas, who collaborated on the franchise's three previous installments.

The film moved the archaeologist-adventurer from the 1930s of his earlier exploits into the nuclear age of the 1950s.

"Crystal Skull" will be available on a single-disc DVD with just the film or in two-disc DVD and Blu-ray sets. Extras in the two-disc sets will include a segment on how the new movie evolved over its long development period; a production diary including glimpses of location shoots in New Mexico, Connecticut and Hawaii; and segments on makeup, visual effects and the crystal skulls at the heart of the action.

A DVD boxed set with all four movies also will be available.

Paramount and Lucasfilm have not yet announced when the first three movies will be released on Blu-ray.

"Crystal Skull" has taken in about $770 million worldwide, including $314 domestically.

___

Paramount is a division of Viacom Inc.