PDA

View Full Version : Por Vs Coronado Springs

mickey's buddy
09-10-2007, 12:16 AM
We are trying to decide between Coronado Springs and Port Orleans - Riverside. We will be going the last week of November. We are traveling with DD - 14 mo & g'ma - 63. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!:mickey:

jiifigment
09-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi! We stayed at Riverside last September, and we just got back from Coronado Springs Saturday. Here's what we noticed...they're little differences, but really that's all there are.

Better at Coronado Springs:

Main Pool less busy...maybe because convention goers don't use the pool?
Pepper Market has MANY more choices for a counterservice than the Riverside Mill. You can get Ribeye Steaks here and count them as counterservice on the dining plan!:thumbsup:

Better at Riverside:

The refillable mugs actually fit in your car cupholders at home, thus they are more useful than for just the trip.
The Magical Express luggage check-in is INDOORS! This may not be a huge deal in November, but in September, standing out in the sun waiting in a long line to check in was NOT fun!
The bus service seemed to be better. I don't know if this is just a luck thing or what, but we waited a LOT longer for busses this year than last year. Especially coming back to CS from MK. We never waited more than 10 minutes last year.
POR has a boat that goes from the resort to Downtown Disney. We really enjoy the boat transportation options.

The rooms at both resorts are about the same. You may want to make note, though, if you choose CSR, Buildings 9A, and 8A (and I'm sure there were others) used to be smoking buildings. The smoke smell can still be REALLY STRONG! The first room we had this time was in 9A, and you could smell it before you walked in the door. :sick: We asked to be moved, and they were great about it, but it took extra time.

Like I said, small differences. They're both great resorts, but we're leaning toward POR for next year! :mickey:

c&d
09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
They are both great resorts.

CSR is a much larger resort so there tends to be more walking. There is a shuttle that runs around the resort that takes you to the different places. At CSR we never found the buses to be very crowded going to any of the parks. We loved the choices at Pepper Market and even though you paid 10% extra to "eat in" we really liked that the cloth napkins and drinks delivered to your table. There is also a spa and health club at CSR, it feels more like a deluxe. You catch glimpses of the fireworks over the MK and Epcot at night.

For POR. The theming is great. We've stayed in both the Alligator bayou and Mansion sections. We liked the Alligator Bayou section better. It's a pretty resort to walk around and you can't beat the boat to DD. The horse and carriage ride is very nice also.

You can't really go wrong with either resort in my opinion.

Have a great trip.

#1donaldfan
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
POR would win my vote on this one.......I've never stayed at CS, but my sister did one year and we vistited her several times to eat and wander around.....CS is so big, you have to walk a country mile to get from point A to point B., plus we didn't care much for the food....the resort itself was beautiful......POR is our resort of choice and it's perfect, IMHO.....it's shaded, it's designed that everything is an easy walk......the food and busses are within a minute walk from about anywhere......the pool is great, all of them...Boatwrights has the best breakfast in the world, the food court is very good, all the CM's have treated us like gold......you just can't go wrong with that place......IMHO....:mickey:

Crow
09-11-2007, 10:45 AM
CS is tied w POFQ for my fav mod
as said above CS has better food court. the steak as mentioned counts as CS on DDP
POR has the boat
i stayed in the Rancho area twice at CS..its the furthest from main building but had a bus stop close.
i think POR sometimes shares buses w POFQ.
didnt like POR as much overall. id go w POFQ over R

Darbylew
09-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I would choose POR over CSR. POR has a great
food court and a boat to DTD. We always stay
at POFQ but go down to POR while we are there. You can take the boat between the two
or there is a nice walkway between them. I am
sure whatever you choose you will have a great
time. :mickey:

KarenP
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I suggest looking at pictures of both to see which resort theming appeals most to you personally.

Hammer
09-11-2007, 11:33 PM
The rooms at both resorts are about the same. You may want to make note, though, if you choose CSR, Buildings 9A, and 8A (and I'm sure there were others) used to be smoking buildings. The smoke smell can still be REALLY STRONG! The first room we had this time was in 9A, and you could smell it before you walked in the door. :sick: We asked to be moved, and they were great about it, but it took extra time.

Like I said, small differences. They're both great resorts, but we're leaning toward POR for next year! :mickey:

Just a little clarification. 9A was not a former smoking building (at least not in the last 3 years). 8A was a former smoking building, though, which was changed in June. We usually stay at CSR and request the Cabanas section and were told each time that this building is the only smoking building in the section. I think what probably happened was someone had recently smoked in your room in building 9A, thus leaving the heavy smoke smell. I am really glad the staff quickly remedied the situation for you!

maizey05
09-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Stayed at both...PO is better, IMO.

katzctkpt
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I would go for the POR Riverside resort and I would request the alligator bayou section bldg 18 or 14 they are the closest to the food court and south depot bus station. It has a lot of shade trees and paths to walk along.
I didn't care for the food at CS and my sister had a ways to walk to her room from the bus and food court. It's a beautiful resort just not my choice.

jiifigment
09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm confused about 9A. We wanted another room in that building (didn't want to walk as far as 8B where we ended up), but the CM with her manager standing over her shoulder, said it wouldn't do to just move us in that building because the whole building was a former smoking building and we were likely to have the same problem. She also mentioned that 8A was previously a smoking building.

Regardless, anyone who is staying there soon, if you're bothered by smoke, make sure to specifically request a room that's not previously been a smoking room and you should be fine. They make it sound like you don't need to ask for a no smoking room anymore, because all of the resorts are non-smoking, but I think after this experience I'd take issue with that. :ack: