PDA

View Full Version : Need Help picking from Port Orleans or Contemporary Resort

irishnut
09-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone,

My family and I are putting together our first Disney World trip together for April 2008. We are unable to make our minds up between the Contemporary and Port Orleans resort.

These are the two resorts we are interested in the most, and just need help in finalizing which one to go with. Which brings me to all of you who have been to Disney world several times...
So please help...

Thank You

Ralph :mickey:

BigRedDad
09-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I would take the CR over PO any day. The lowest deluxe is nicer than the best moderate resort. It also has to do with what you are looking to do. If you are spending a lot of time at MK, then the CR is the choice. Plus, you have monorail access to Poly and GF.

wdwfansince75
09-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Having done both (CR multiple times, POR, when it was Dixie Landings, for Christmas), I guess I can claim some bone fides....
Port Orleans is a nice, relatively confortable, moderately prices, themed motel......two full sized beds per room, vanity in room, gather than in seperate bath (which holds tub/shower and comode)....convenient, with bus service to all other venues.....several pools, adequate and convenient counter service and table service.

The CR is a higher priced resort (not motel), within short walk of MK, monorail to MK, EPCOT, Poly, and GF....short boat ride from FW and WL....Chef Mickey's and California Grill...and Waves....good game room....boating and pools...truly a resort, with easy access to four great amusement parks.....

New rooms are great....will miss North Wing, but newly renovated rooms in South Wiong, or in Tower, all have 2 queen and daybed, or king plus sleeper sofa...plus table and desk....larger rooms can handle more active families....felt by third or forth day in Dixie Landings that we were running out of room....closeness is ok...crowding is a problem....Love my family, but need my own space...Always had that at CR....

If money is not too much of an issue, the extras (room, convenience, facilities....and location, location, location) is well worth the expense.

Darbylew
09-09-2007, 02:27 PM
We love POFQ but I would prefer to stay at the
CR as it is right on the monorail and within
walking distance to the MK. It is more money
but worth the stay. :thumbsup::mickey:

carley
09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
i havent stayed at either so i cant help i just wanted to say Welcome to Intercot

KarenP
09-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi, and welcome to Intercot!

Out of the 2, I would definitely choose the Contemporary Resort.

DisneyOtaku
09-09-2007, 03:14 PM
First off, HI! Welcome to Intercot!

As for your question, I would pick the CR. I stayed there for the first time this summer and just fell in LOVE with it. I was a bit nervous staying there (I'm a Poly girl at heart!) but I must say, it took my breath away.

If money isn't an issue, go with CR (and if you can, splurge for a Tower, MK view! AMAZING!)

Jenemmy
09-09-2007, 04:04 PM
:welcome:

The CR is my absolute favorite -- especially a tower room. I have never stayed at PO -- but will be heading that way on my next trip. I am one of those who thinks that any resort on Disney property is a great resort, but if you can swing the extra cash for a deluxe, why not do it? You really can't beat the convenience, the rooms are huge and newly remodeled and you feel like you are in the heart of the MK. If money were no object, the CR is definitely my vote!

irishnut
09-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your quick replys and views on this. My only concern is all the construction inside and outside of the CR over Port Orleans.

My wife's pick is the CR, while I seem to be leaning towards Port Orleans, and my teenage kids seem to be not much help on this issue.

I just not sure which way to go with this...

caubert
09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Buses at POR tend to be on the slow side. I did however enjoy POR. I have never stayed at CR, but with convenience ot the monorail I would definately try it. We spend so little time in the resort, I wouldn't be concerned with construction. If there is any, I'm sure Disney does its best to make sure it doesn't interfere too much.

caubert

mermaidmarian
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I think it is really too hard to advise you on this because there is a really significant price differential between these two properties and you haven't really indicated whether that is a consideration for you and what your other high priorities are.

How did you narrow it down to these two options?

SBETigg
09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
The CR in a heartbeat. Location, location, location. Disney does a great job with keeping construction from interfering in guest experiences. I have stayed at both, and the CR is far and above Port Orleans in terms of service, space, amenities, and location. You are breathtakingly close to the MK at CR with good transportation options to both MK and Epcot.

RALPH
09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Having never stayed at the CR I would offer the following. If finances are not a problem stay at the delux resort. Why not enjoy the best that WDW can offer.

If you have small children in your party, you will spend a lot of time in MK so take advantage of it's location. The one thing that everyone told me that stayed there was make sure you stay in the tower, not the wings. It must be a very different experience in the tower. It looks neet to me anyway.

#1donaldfan
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
CR seems to be too "hotelish" and POR is our resort of choice...yes, it's a moderate, but all the CM's there treat you like gold.....it has a wonderfully good food court and restaraunt...it's very laid back, shaded, and quiet. We absolutley love it. I have visited CR on several occasions and have eaten there many times...I just don't think I would like spending more time there, other than a bite to eat. If I were to go to a deluxe, I would choose WL.....now that's living it up, IMHO.....have fun picking....

wdwfansince75
09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
You mentioned in your second post that your children are teenagers....POR has two ful sized beds....you can get a trundle bed, but it is sized for a child....also, vanities are in room, rather than in bathroom....Strongly suggest CR.....rooms are larger, two queen sized beds plus day bed....was large enough for DGS#1, when he was 15, and already 6' plus. Bathrooms are much larger, and better equipted.

Know you have narrowed down your selections, but suggest you open them up long enough to consider Cabins at FW....We stayed there with 3 teenagers on two occassions....lots of room, lots to do. And it's still Disney!

scootch713
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Definitely Contemporary.... it is my favorite resort(which surprised me the first time I stayed there). The closeness to MK and the monorail are super plusses. Wish I could get a room there for our Nov trip this year.:sick: The rooms are so large and the extra daybed is a great plus too.

DisneyCouture
09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
CR if you can afford it. As it being a deluxe resort and immediate transportation to MK makes it worthwhile.

illini
09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with the others-- CR. Especially with two teenagers. POR would be a pretty tight squeeze, IMO. The trundle bed will be useless unless someone in your party is VERY petite (under 5'!).

My only question is whether you're wanting a garden wing or tower room. From what I've experienced, those garden wing rooms are pretty tough to come by with the north building having been demolished. So if you're going for that, you need to start calling NOW.

Septbride2002
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
For themeing I would reccomend the Port Orleans - as it is one of my favorite resorts.

However since you are taking 2 teenagers - I would suggest CR. You'll have more space, sleep comfortably and have easier modes of transportation.

Depending on how old your teenagers are - if they wanted to go to Epcot they just have to Hop Monorails - while you go to the Magic Kingdom.

~Amanda

mousetrapper
09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
My first reaction is to say CR, hands down.

However, because these are two so totally different resorts, you have to decide what's important to you first, then make a choice.

First, let me qualify my response by saying I've only visited CR and have never stayed there, and have never visited or stayed at POFQ.

True, CR has an amazing location and all the extra appeal the deluxe resorts offer. Plus, who can beat the feeling of riding the monorail right into your hotel?!

But POFQ has its own appeal. I've heard wonderful things about it theming-wise. It has the genteel quality of "N'Awlins" while CR is thoroughly modern.

These are just a few more thoughts to consider to help you make your decision.

...And one more thing:

WELCOME TO INTERCOT!
:welcome:

katzctkpt
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I would have to pick POR over CR. My mother-n-law stayed there a couple yrs back and we went over to meet them. I didn't care for the room. Yes, it was convenient to MK & Epcot but, I honestly like the laid back feel of POR. I have 1 teenager and she liked POR over the CR.
But if your choosing because of location then go for it. But, if you want relaxation go to POR. There's a lot to do at POR.

coloradowendyl
09-16-2007, 10:30 AM
The biggest consideration in picking your resort beside the price factor is comfort, convenience, and amount of time at the resort.

If you are a family of 5, for example, the Contemporary rooms are definitely larger than POR rooms. Yes, the POR rooms have the trundle bed, but the Contemporary rooms have 2 queens and a day bed and more actual space.

If your party mix is teenagers, you might prefer even two rooms at POR instead of one tower room at the Contemporary to eliminate the one bathroom issue (I have teens and know how much time they take in bathroom).

Once you and your spouse figure out what your actual room needs are, the decision will be easy..and face it, your family will love either resort...they will be at Disney! Go with what is best for your budget and comfort!

Wendy

Nekochan
09-17-2007, 08:10 AM
I've stayed at the Sports and the Poly - opposite ends of the universe. The atmosphere and better pool at the Poly really did add a HUGE amount of enjoyment to the vacation this year. However, what added the most enjoyment was the monorail, since we spend most of our time at MK and Epcot.

My choice will always be the poly first, but I have come to the conclusion that the worst room at a monorail hotel is better than the best room at any other hotel. The convenience of the monorail, plus all the activities available outside of the parks available (we went jet skiing at the Contemporary) has me convinced that if I can afford it at all, I will always stay at a monorail hotel.

However, with 3 teenagers - if they are going to be spending ALOT of time at Disneyquest then the POR isn't a bad choice either.

Mfarquar
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I agree with a lot of the people above. It really depends on what you are looking for in your vacation.

I would go with the CR because 1.) It is a deluxe resort with fantastic views of MK and 2.) THE MONORAIL. If you are people who are not transportation patient, the monorail is a dream come true. Just in general, it's an absolute pleasure to use the monorail for travel among your hotel, MK and Epcot, especially after a long day in the parks. If you think you will be spending a lot of your time in the parks, this one is a no-brainer. The atmosphere here is more modern, and certainly more of a hotel feel. They also have some great restaurants like The California Grill, Chef Mickeys (great character breakfast) and The Concourse Steakhouse (yum!). Keep in mind, depending on when you actually go, there may be construction going on.

Port Orleans is a different experience. The rooms are configured more in a motel style set up - large buildings with an open-air entrance to your room. There's no monorail, but POFQ has a boat to Downtown Disney, which is nice. I would definitely suggest POFQ OVER POR any day. It's smaller, and I have found the bus service at POFQ to be far more efficient. The theming at POFQ is very Mardi Gras with great jazz and big band piped into the grounds. This has more of an overall resort feel, but is very spread out in comparison to CR.

All in all, for a first time trip, I would go with CR. The monorail alone will add a lot of ease to your trip! Plus a deluxe resort is always a treat!

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of the hotel you chose! :D