PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge for Five

ScottyP
09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a change in the room types a the AKL? I was on the Disney web site today looking for a room for our family of five and I could not find any thing to reference the Deluxe Savannah or Deluxe Pool View rooms. Have they done away with these rooms due to the vacation villas? It is our favourite resort and we were moved to the Polynesian last visit due to construction. We were counting on returning there for our next visit and getting a Deluxe room for five. Can anyone shed some insight?

DVC Mike
09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
DVC has taken over the 5th and 6th floors of the AKL, and the concierge rooms have been moved to the 4th floor.

ScottyP
09-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Does that mean we can no longer stay at that resort?

KarenP
09-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Besides the suites, the only 2 room categories at AKL that sleep 5 are deluxe savannah view bunk bed and deluxe club level.

ScottyP
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Do you know why these options are not showing on the Disney web site?

KarenP
09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I am not sure when you are traveling but it is possible those room categories are sold out for your dates.

TammiMcMan
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
From talking with a few people, I was under the impression that deluxe rooms (sleeping 5) are no longer available at the AKL. As DVCMike mentioned, these rooms were converted to the villas. It's also my understanding that the 1 bedroom villas at the AKL will sleep 5. Unfortunately, I don't know if the Jambo section has been opened up to the general public, or if the bookings are still exclusively for DVC members. I also haven't seen prices, but hopefully they will keep a certain number set aside for general public booking and the rates will be in line with the previously available deluxe AKL rooms.

Sorry, there's just not a lot of information available yet.

KarenP
09-09-2007, 06:55 PM
From talking with a few people, I was under the impression that deluxe rooms (sleeping 5) are no longer available at the AKL. As DVCMike mentioned, these rooms were converted to the villas. It's also my understanding that the 1 bedroom villas at the AKL will sleep 5. Unfortunately, I don't know if the Jambo section has been opened up to the general public, or if the bookings are still exclusively for DVC members. I also haven't seen prices, but hopefully they will keep a certain number set aside for general public booking and the rates will be in line with the previously available deluxe AKL rooms.

Sorry, there's just not a lot of information available yet.

You know Tammi, I think you may be right. Disney reservtions still have these room categories listed as an option for 5, but I sure am not seeing any available!

TammiMcMan
09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
With my limited knowledge of marketing, I'd have to say that Disney does not want to remove that room category, just continue to show it as being "sold out" or "unavailable for your selected dates". That way, when they do open up more of the deluxe villas at AKL, they can simply make the switch and hopefully not upset too many of their guests.

DVC Mike
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
The Deluxe rooms that slept 5 were all on the 5th and 6th floors, which are now DVC. The concierge rooms that were on the 6th floor are now on the 4th floor. I don't think there are any deluxe rooms left at AKL. The best way to find out is to contact Disney.

MNNHFLTX
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
The Deluxe rooms that slept 5 were all on the 5th and 6th floors, which are now DVC. The concierge rooms that were on the 6th floor are now on the 4th floor. I don't think there are any deluxe rooms left at AKL.That is what I have heard too. I agree that your best best is to call the Disney central reservations office or a travel agent, like our Magical Journeys, and find out what the situation is.

ScottyP
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
That is what we suspected. We are very very disappointed.

TammiMcMan
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
That is what we suspected. We are very very disappointed.It doesn't mean that a family of 5 can no longer stay at that resort, just that they may have to reserve a 1 bedroom deluxe villa unit instead. Looking at the 2007 rates the current 1 bedrooms are comparable to the old AKL deluxe rooms. The big question mark will be availability though over the next 1-2 years. I know the Jambo villas are due to be completed soon and then the outer villas are scheduled for completition in 2009. I'm sure they were hoping for something a little more seamless for the larger families, but unfortanately, it looks like there may be some interruption of availability there.