PDA

View Full Version : Candles/tiki torches allowed at FW?

Dopey_Duc
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi, I've had many questions answered by this forum, but this is my first time posting. I was wondering if you knew the policy at FW for having candles/torches,etc. We are heading out in late September and I remember from our last visit at FW, candles would have been nice. I actually did call FW, and the assistant wasn't sure, but switched me to another location which turned out to be the bike barn. So, any help on this would be great!
Thanks.

ibrowse17
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
They are pretty specific about open flame only in the grill and only for cooking. We hang lanterns and other such decorations in our site, but they are electrical. In our many travels to FW, I don't recall seeing open flame torches in the sites. I have seen those bug repelling candles before, come to think of it. If you find out, please let us know:thumbsup:

And by the way,:welcome: to the Intercot family!!

FloridaTeacher
09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
There are no open flames allowed. You may have a campfire at your site only if it is completely enclosed in a firepit with a top. Tikki torches are not allowed.

Do know, however, that sometimes (whenever there is a local burn ban) that there are NO fires allowed at individual campsites - even those in an enclosed firepit. Usually when this occurs, they'll let you know when you check in.

Happy Camping!

medic9016
09-07-2007, 06:00 PM
There are no open flames allowed. You may have a campfire at your site only if it is completely enclosed in a firepit with a top. Tikki torches are not allowed.

I was told there are no firepits allowed, you may only have a fire in a grill for cooking. Is this something new?

FloridaTeacher
09-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes, this is pretty new. We found this out during our Oct. '06 trip. It was in the welcome packet you receive upon check-in.

With that said, I would ask at check-in if this is still current since rules have been known to change.

We noticed during this same trip that not only did this rule change, but some golf cart rules changed too. Before this, you could only have an electric cart, now there are lots of gas powered carts around.:(

Happy Camping!:mickey:

Dopey_Duc
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I called Ft. Wilderness over the weekend. The gentleman said that citronella candles are fine to have as long as they are not left unattended. However, besides the candles and grill, no other open flames are allowed.. including firepits, and tiki torches.

Maybe it changes in different seasons.. but that is the info. we rec'd for our trip later this month.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I'll post up any new info. we receive about our trip upon returning.

ibrowse17
09-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Cool, looking forward to it:thumbsup:

Dopey_Duc
10-02-2007, 01:01 PM
We just returned from 9 wonderful days at FW. We took the tiki torches just in case, and had no issues using them whatsoever. Maybe because it was so damp. The campground was undergoing a great deal of refurbishment though. Lots of noise, heavy equipment and such, many of the loops were closed, in fact the one (1300)we had requested was closed... but they were kind enough to put us in loop 400, which included cable at no extra charge. It was a bit messy, with lots of swamp and debris. But, we spent just a small amount of time clearing weeds and trash and it was perfect. I understand they had had some heavy rains and some debris may have washed in. It also was extremely crowded, which we found odd and they were putting pets in the non pet loops...which we really didn't care for since we specifically request non-pet loops. However, we understood they had overflow due to loops being closed and the crowd. We did have to complain about a lady who allowed her dog to "poop" in the small grass area directly in front of our RV, where our kids had their bikes. She then proceeded to walk away and leave it there... I had to clean it up to prevent my kids from stepping in it. Other than that we had no problems with pets being in the non pet loops. In fact, except for that one person, everyone was very respectful and we really enjoyed seeing all of the cute pets. Our dog weighs about 75lbs and unfortunately hates to ride in the RV.

The campground did host a triatholon one day.....that caused a bit of confusion because many of the workers at FW were clueless about the details, even though they tried really hard to help... for example: some buses weren't running which we didn't know about until we waited at the bus stop for a while, and also the boat to MK closed for about 5 hours and noone seemed to know when anything would be running again. However, some FW workers made some calls and got some info. for us. I felt like we were in the twilight zone, but then I noticed there were many, many other familes just as confused as us. All in all, we got to MK and was only delayed about 2 hours....which was okay since it was magic hours.

Even with those minor things... it was the best ever. The new Everest expedition was awesome, the refurbished Haunted Mansion was great, the Biergarten at Epcot has wonderful food....the most fun day of all was Typhoon Lagoon... I highly recommend that. The campground is just a great place to be, from the bike trails to the sea raycers.

We are already planning our trip for next year!

faline
10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Sounds like it was a great trip!