PDA

View Full Version : Preggo Goes to Disneyland, a Pre Trip Report

Lucille
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, my DH, Sean and I leave for 8 days at Disneyland in two days. While there we will be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary (which is technically tomorrow) and also our "Babymoon" as I am 7 months pregnant.

This trip started coming together in January while we were celebrating my birthday at Disneyland. Rumors were flying around the internet about DVC at Disneyland being announced any day and we were definitely interested. We had considered joining the DVC in 2002 on our Honeymoon but had decided at the last moment that it wasn't for us due to unbelievably low AP rates and the possibility of not visiting DL as often. We made an appointment to meet with a guide and she couldn't have been more helpful. Instead of the standard spiel, she answered our questions and helped us break down some numbers. Though DL-DVC was never announced (and still isn't) she sweetened the pot with $15 off per point at Saratoga Springs, an extra year of points and 2 free annual passes. We factored in the fact that we were visiting in January and paying $225/night and that we had been together quite a while, were child free and were planning on continuing on that road, so decided that we could spare the extra dough. We did it!!

We immediately started planning our next trip and weighing the pros and cons of visiting DL or WDW. DL is by far our favorite, but the added value of a WDW annual pass started another track of thought. DH and I have always wanted to stay at the Boardwalk because of its accessibility to MGM and Epcot......OK.....I'll admit it.....DH and I have always wanted to stay at the Boardwalk because of its accessibility to the BARS of MGM and Epcot. We had decided that September/early October would be our ideal time to visit and waited for the 7 month booking window to open. After reading about the popularity at BWV I didn't get my hopes up, but surprisingly, I booked an 8 day trip in a standard studio my first try. HOORAY! WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!

........Or so I thought......

As we get deeper into March I started to feel a bit funny and one morning I just couldn't shake a funny feeling. My suspicions were confirmed after a trip to Walgreen's. I spent the day shocked, crazy thoughts running through my head, waiting for Sean to come home. And darn it if he didn't have to work late!! When he FINALLY arrived home I still didn't know what to say. So I told him that we weren't going to Disney World, we would have to go to Disneyland instead. When he asked why, I replied that he had promised to take me to Disneyland while I was pregnant.

.....well, that and not wanting to subject myself to terrible humid weather in Florida, and all the extra walking involved.

I waited a couple of weeks and changed our reservations from 8 days at WDW to 8 days at the Disneyland Hotel.

After months of waiting and minimal planning the trip is nearly here. Thanks to the thousands of dollars we shelled out at the beginning of the year the trip is costing us practically nothing! Our hotel is covered by our DVC points, we're using the free AP's for tickets and we were bumped off a flight last year so we're flying on free vouchers! We can't afford NOT to go!

We'll be taking a taxi to O'hare for our 8am flight on Saturday morning (I told Sean that there was no way I was dragging my suitcase down to the subway). We arrive at John Wayne Airport about 4 hours later. I haven't officially worked out our transfer yet but there is a 99% chance we'll be on the Disneyland Express bus and will be arriving at the Disneyland Hotel before we know it! I am such a goofball, one of my favorite parts of vacation is driving to the hotel. I just love the feeling of almost being there with the entire trip in front of you. We have always been happy with our rooms at the DLH and expect this trip to be no different. We usually just spend a bit of time in the room unpacking and then head over to the Lost Bar for some lunch. Unfortunately, there won't be any :beer: or :marg: for me this trip.

Sean and I are far from commando tourists and I expect this trip to be no different. Since it will be the weekend, we'll take things extra - extra slow on Saturday and Sunday knowing that the crowds will be much lighter starting Monday.

So many people have asked me "What are you going to do at DL since you can't go on any of the rides" I reply that I can go on any of the rides that don't have a height requirement and that my goal for the trip is to find the perfect bench that is convenient to live music, a snack cart and a bathroom. I will let you all know where that bench is located once I find it.

It is a bit disappointing that two of our very favorite rides will not be operating for our visit, Haunted Mansion and Casey Jr. Circus Train. :( Sean told me that he wouldn't go on any ride that I couldn't ride, but after breaking all of them down he realized that he really needed to ride Splash Mountain. He just loves those little sad bunnies that you pass on the way up to the big drop. I just want to spend a ton of time in Fantasyland, riding the Jungle Cruise, finding Nemo, exploring Pirates Lair and, hopefully, paddling a canoe around Tom Sawyers Island. The highlights of our non-ride plans are Billy Hill and the Hillbilllies, Miner 49ers, long naps, extended sit down breakfasts reading the New York times, Steak at Granville's (I haven't had a steak my entire pregnancy and have ben obsessing over this since April), buying something for the nursery (theme: Mary Blair's Peter Pan) and possibly visiting some SoCal friends.

Our only set in stone plans for the week is the Dream, Imagine, Create event on Thursday and the Dream Sale on Friday. I'm not really sure what to expect from either. Thursday night features a cocktail reception at the Grand Californian and live & silent auctions. Friday's Dream Sale seems to be the equivalent of a yard sale. We'll see how the credit card holds up :mickey: After all, I said earlier that this trip is costing practically nothing!

That seems to be the bulk of our plans. Eight days of relaxing and enjoying each others company at The Happiest Place on Earth. Goodness knows what the following trip will be like!

ChipnDaleGal
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Good luck finding that bench with all the amenities you have on your list! :thumbsup: I hope that the two of you have a wonderful time Niki. Disneyland is such a great place to relax and soak up the atmosphere so I have no doubt that you will enjoy every minute of this last trip together as a couple! Please shout out a "Yee Haw" or two for me at a Billy Show! :nopity:

Lucille
09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Please shout out a "Yee Haw" or two for me at a Billy Show! :nopity:

.....or twelve!!!!!! You can count on me Donna!

disneydrmr
09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a wonderful trip is planned! Hope you have a magical time! :mickey:

NotaGeek
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Congrats and have a wonderful time ... you should definitely do a "The Best Benches in the Park" trip report with a cute picture of you and all the yummy treats you will try to celebrate your coming bundle of joy!

Congrats again, can't wait to hear about your trip. By the way, I was at DLR with a friend that was 6 months pregnant and there were quite a few things she could do with us, just take it easy during the day, it's a lot of walking!

Carol
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
There's a great bench on the porch of the Horseshoe. :thumbsup:

Have a fantastic time, Niki. I cannot wait to hear all about it.

woo woo.

Melanie
09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Eight days of relaxing and enjoying each others company at The Happiest Place on Earth. Goodness knows what the following trip will be like!

Quite different! ;)

Your plans sound great, Niki! What a great time for you and Sean to just enjoy each other before this big event in your life, and what a great place to do it. Enjoy! :mickey3:

tinkwest
09-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Super trip report, considering your trip hasn't even begun yet! I can tell you know how to enjoy the DLR. Have a great time.

ChipDale
09-07-2007, 12:46 PM
:chip: Have a fantastic trip, Niki & Sean! :dale:

Unfortunately, there won't be any :beer: or :marg: for me this trip.

Man, that is so sad. :( I hope you make it! :laughing: Order a "Mermaid's Mist" (non-alcoholic) from Joe at the Lost Bar! :D

BrerGnat
09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Have a great trip Lucille! I have visited DL numerous times while pregnant and it's really very enjoyable. Not nearly the scope of walking involved that there is in WDW...

As for fun places to sit, enjoy music, and EAT...the hub at Main Street is my favorite spot for that. For live music, you can't beat New Orleans Square when the Jazz band performs. LOTS of good snacks around there, and a bathroom! ;)

Since you're pregnant, go ahead and take a quick visit to the baby care center so you can know what's available for when you return with your little one. They will gladly show you around. :)

Don't forget to take it easy, though! The major heat wave is past us, but it's still pretty warm and VERY sunny, so take care of yourself. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Carol
09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
I think Miss Niki found that perfect bench and didn't come home. :look:

ChipnDaleGal
09-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I think Miss Niki found that perfect bench and didn't come home. :look:

Smart Girl!! :thumbsup: