PDA

View Full Version : how soon to start planning?

thejens
09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I have been to WDW twice and planned extensively both times. When do you all start planning? How soon would you book a trip for the end of May 2008? Just curious!

katzctkpt
09-05-2007, 11:59 PM
My DH starts planning the day we leave Disney. He is nuts about the place and I don't know how he'll control himself if we don't get back there in 2008. I would probably book soon that way you'll be able to make dinner reservations. I think you can make those up to 180 days in advance now.
Don't know if you're a member of AAA but, it saved us around $200+ might want to check it out. If you become a AAA member you'll get a AAA Diamond Card and if you use it in DTD at the World of Disney you'll get I think 10% off your total purchase over $50 and certain restaurants like Fulton's has a % off the order.

DisneyDudet
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Well, I would book and plan as soon as I know my dates and when I have the money to start!

Now, planning and booking to me are two TOTALLY separate things! I have planned and been planning for this October trip for MONTHS, maybe even a year.. WAY before we booked anything! I do believe I had my days planned before we booked anything, but had decided on the dates.

So... now would be a good time for planning...

SandmanGStefani24
09-06-2007, 02:35 AM
why not right now? :D

I think the best thing about the trip is getting psyched up for it! Plus, if you plan out far in advance, you often think of a lot of things you would normally forget. I would recommend getting a dry erase board and jot down things you need or want as you remember them. Also, keep us posted here, and Intercot friends are full of advice so check in often. Plan away and have fun doing it! :beer:

Dsnygirl
09-06-2007, 03:47 AM
:mickey: Boy, I have to confess - I start planning the minute I get home from my trip. :blush: Not specific dates or reservations or anything... just what we'd like to do next time, when we think we'd like to go, how many days, places we'd like to hit, etc. It's an addiction, for sure... :D
As far as booking a May 2008 trip, I'm sure many already have... when we went in May 2006, we booked in October and it was perfect - I just wished I'd waited a little closer to the date for airfare. But as far as the hotel and park passes, we did a room-only reserv. in Oct. and then waited for the specials to come out. We use MJ, and they contact you as soon as they hear of one that applies to you, and you can just jump right in on it!
Have fun planning.... I'd start now, if it was me!! :)

PetefromRI
09-06-2007, 06:36 AM
We've already booked our rooms for May.Now we just have to wait for SW to book our flights.I like to book as soon as possible.

mouseketeer mom
09-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Too soon? No such thing! I plan as much as I can!

EmmMOM2
09-06-2007, 06:40 AM
plan as soon as you know WHERE and WHEN.
That's what we do. Then make your ADR's about 6 months in advance..making a calendar for yourself can make it easier to remember where you eat on what day.
HTH

Jeri Lynn
09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Well...I haven't gone for my trips in September or November yet BUT I am already thinking about next year!! I'll be in the "thinking" stages until about January and then I'll go ahead and book for next November/December.

Madame Leona
09-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I've already started planning and we won't be going back until Oct or Nov 2008. I'll have everything set on paper and in my mind but I don't actually book anything until it's almost last minute due to some family health issues. I love planning (except ADRs, I don't make those unless asked to by DH).

Mickey'sGirl
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
We are going to the world for the 10th Anniversary Bash in October... and we are currently planning August 2008 and July 2009. Things like where to stay and for how long etc. Our plans do not become firm until closer to the date of course, but we do plan two years out. :mickey:

illini
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I would've already booked it! I booked our Nov trip last January. Would've done it sooner if it weren't for that pesky dh! It was in the planning stages before then, though.

Book, book, book! There's something about having that confirmation that brings peace of mind and some extra excitement.

KylesMom
09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
We start kicking around dates as soon as we return home from our annual summer trip, and once the next years' room-only rates are released, we "tweek" our plans & book the room with AAA standard room view discount. It's never too early to begin planning. Since these rooms tend to go quickly we book, knowing that MJ will apply any A/P discounts if they're available closer to the time of our trip.

In the meantime, I can make payments each month leading up to our trip so that the room is pretty much paid for when it's time to leave!:mickey:

martinfamily5
09-06-2007, 10:11 AM
We usually start in about April for our Oct. trip. I like having the 6 months in advance. We do start talking about it sooner then that. Usually the day that we come home from our current trip. Disney Visa gets you a good discount on packages (room and hopper passes).

SueQ
09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
May 2008??? Heck I'm already planning for my Oct/Nov 2008 trip. We just decided we're gonna go and I'm dying to start planning. I can't wait to go again.

DDuck66
09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
We have a trip planned for May 2008 and booked the room back in July. I believe the 180 day for ADR's is in November. I would not wait very much longer.
We have tentively planned our days but have left some flexibility to fit in ADR's and special events. The calender for May should be out by the first of November so we will know more on Park Times and fireworks by the time we call in our ADR's.
We always make the planning part of the trip. It helps the time go by...even though I am only about an hour away!!!!

Mrs Grumpy
09-06-2007, 01:31 PM
We already have most of the planning done for our September 2009 trip:blush: Just waiting for a year from now when we can actually book it. :mickey:

Disney Doll
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd go ahead and book as soon as you have your dates set. For me it's never too early to plan. We try to go once a year and as soon as the first trip is over I start planning for the next one.

laprana
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I started planning our next trip while we were on our last trip!:blush: My family spent a little time during our last trip doing little "reconnaissance missions" to check out some of the resorts and restaurants to help us decide where to stay and eat next June! The planning really started when we got home, and although we haven't booked yet, we have the dates picked out and even most of the places we want to make ADRs. The last couple of trips we've booked about 7 or 8 months in advance.

sillyolbear
09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Book it!

Suz36
09-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I book our trips as soon as possible, as soon as Disney starts accepting room reservations for that time period! Planning starts from the moment we leave WDW. I actually have a VERY tentative 10 year plan of what resorts to stay at based on what time of year, ie.deluxe resorts during value season, etc. My goal in life is to stay at each hotel on property and visit at each time of the year (except maybe summer.)

IloveDisney71
09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
:mickey:I always start asap! The longest time I've ever taken to plan for a trip was 1 year and the shortest was 1 month. The month was a "spur of the moment" trip, but I got it all planned in time. :thumbsup:
If I were you I'd go ahead and get started. Have fun!:mickey:

RALPH
09-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Well we began planning last month for a trip the end of Aug 2008. On our first trip we made a booking for Hoop-Dee-Doo 15 months in advance. (They book 2 years in advance I believe) This is because seating is assigned based on when you make your reservation and I wanted to be up front. We had not even made the hotel or airfare, as they were not available to book.

DW has been checking airfares and figures that they will be available for booking in Nov. Then we will book the room at the rack rate to lock it in and search for discounts. We are usually able to get an AP room only rate.