PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nickelodeon Suites by Holiday Inn

deva
09-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Its my first time taking the kids to WDW. We looked at the Nickelodeon Suites online, and they look great, but I have not found any feedback about them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thank you.

eeyorerocks
09-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Curious here too - DS are asking to stay there for 2 nights on our next trip down to WDW - can't wait to hear any feedback :)

scvecc
09-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I have seen some review sites that just hammer the Nick Hotel, others where people love it. A few travel agents I've talked to give me the impression that one should look elsewhere. However, we have family staying there the week of Thanksgiving. We are going to stay onsite at WL the first 4 nights, as it will easier with 2 small kids to be near MK. Then, we will meet up with the family to stay 3 nights at the Nickelodeon. If it was just us, I'd want to be onsite the entire time, but we want to catch up with the cousins. I really don't know what to expect there and hope the WL doesn't spoil us too much first. But our 4 year old will probably love it. Hoping someone can post who has been there or knows anything about it.

MinniesMom
09-06-2007, 02:42 PM
My family stayed there 2 years ago for two nights. While the kids loved it, after two nights I was ready to leave. It's definitely a resort geared totally for kids and not so much parents. Although I did like the suite set up with the kid's bedroom, parents bedroom, living room, etc... I wish Disney had something similar in the same price category (AS suites just don't cut it and a comparable vacation club resort 2 bedroom is about double the price!)

It seems like people either love this place or hate it! There's tons of reviews out there. Look up the hotel on tripadvisor (not sure if I am allowed to advise you of that or not?)

Personally, I would stay there again but only for one or two nights (for the kids) before moving to a Disney resort. If you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to try an answer...

spinnerf
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I recently looked into it too and the price per night was about equal to or more than a disney moderate, and you give up all of your disney resort benefits. It wouldnt be worth it to me.

Nekochan
09-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I just got back - stayed one week at the poly, and three nights at the Nick. Obviously, I liked the poly more, but my 12 year old liked the Nick better. Basically, it's like someone popped some acid and then designed the Nickelodeon. It is VERY bright (that's an understatement) - LOTS of bright orange and Green decorations. It is a Holiday Inn, although I found the service somewhat better than your usual holiday Inn - we were there during a slow week. However, the two pools are AWESOME for kids (there are hot tubs too), there was LOTS of shade for the parents, and the bartender next to the pool makes a great pina colada. They do have some activities for the kids throughout the day at the pool - including getting slimed, and there's another room where the kids can do arts and crafts.

In between the two pools is a building called the 'mall'. This has a gift shop, a sundry shop, a pizza hut, an A&W fast food place, a Barnies Coffee (kind of like a starbucks), a restaurant, a bar and an arcade. You can get a 'character breakfast' to get lunch with spongebob, patrick, dora the explorer etc., or everyday between 12 and 2 the characters walk around 'the mall'.

There is also a 'nick at night' studio - they have shows, games and activities for the entire family. For $60 per kid per night there's also a kids program where the kids have an absolute blast and the parents can go out to dinner and eat at a place that does NOT have chicken nuggets on the menu.

After a week at the parks, I was happy to NOT have another theme park to go to - we just hung out at the hotel. I relaxed and rested my poor blistered feet and my son ran around like a maniac and had a blast.

It's a very good holiday inn, it's a great place to stay if you want the kids occupied while the parents relax. It's not a place I would stay with the intention of doing much during the day, as in a theme park, since the kids enjoy the pool and activities so much.

deva
09-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Great response Nekochan, thank you.

Anyone else been there & feel like sharing?

Right now its between this place & Port Orleans French Quarter; both have their pros & cons.

mermaidmarian
09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I have read mixed and conflicting reviews over the years here on Intercot. You can search the archives "Nick Hotel" or "Nickelodeon Hotel" and find several threads on the topic over the past years.

ddcrna
09-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Haven't stayed there, but we have a timeshare right across the road at Marriott. I can tell you that these hotels are very convenient as far as getting into the World. I believe we can get there quicker than many of the onsite guests who have to use bus transportation. It's a straight shot in and out. Also, if you need supplies, they have recently opened a Super Walmart right around the corner - and there are lots of family friendly places to eat on 192, which is also very nearby. Have a ball. BTW, my grandson always asks when we go past the Nickelodeon - "when can we stay there"?

tkerbow
09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Interesting place. We stayed three nights last summer and it was pretty fun. There is the BIG pool area closests to the enterance and a smaller one in the back so make sure you ask for the one you want. It's a short walk back and forth but no big deal. I recommend paying the extra $10 or so to get a pool view room. We liked being able to watch the kids from the balcony. The rooms were small even though they had two bedrooms. One master and a really small kids room. It worked just fine however but I wish the living room was bigger. The hotel definitely had an old feel to some of it as the elveators and some other areas need work. I stongly suggest going to the "t.v." shows in the studio. We got picked (during the day at the pool) to be in Slime Time Live which was great. We won and got slimed. That was cool for a backstage view as well. This place is really close to DisneyWorld which was great. They have busses to Disney and Universal.:)

ncscgirl2005
09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
We spent one night there in August; our last night in Orlando. Needless to say, DDs (10 & 6) really LOVED it. They loved the bunk beds (even though DD-6 has bunk beds at home). The playstation in the room was a nice addition. The kids room was a bit small but they didn't mind since we were only there for one night. I loved the master suite. The plasma tv in the living room was a treat since we don't have one at home. The bathroom was spacious but didn't have a fan so it got quite stuffy. The dinner buffet at the cafe was delicious; the best meal I had all week including at Disney. There was lots of variety and they served Jasmine rice (my favorite rice in the whole world)! The kids ate from Pizza Hut and Subway but I couldn't force myself to eat from there. The breakfast buffet (w/o character dining) was overprice IMHO; $36 for 2 adults and 2 kids. There were lots of options but nothing really appealing. The elevators were a bit slow and need some updating. The pools were lots of fun! We had a pool view room on the 6th floor so I was able to get some great pics of DDs sliding down the slides from our the balcony in front of our room. The only thing I really didn't like about this place was that you have to stay two days to really do any of the fun stuff. Check-in time is at 4:00 and checkout time is at 11:00. Most of the activities are held between 12-3 making it impossible people who have to check out by 11 am. We could have gone to the sliming but it was at 4:45 and we arrived at the hotel at 5:00 so we missed it but DDs never knew so that saved us some grief. They were just happy to be there. DD-6 swears up and down that she would rather stay there next time than at Disney. So next time we go to Disney she wants us to drop her off at the Nick Hotel and she will stay there while we're at Disney. :confused: