PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Guide vs. Passporter

deva
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm planning my first trip to WDW in a while and my first one ever with kids. I have access to a relatively new Unofficial Guide. Today I heard about Passporter.

Question is for those who have read/used both guides:

If I read the UG, is there a need to read the Passporter? How are they different? Is Passporter better/worse/different/etc?

Thank you.

mickey-mouse35
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Personally I like the Unofficial Guide better than Passporter, but I love details. Some find the UG too detailed. The Passporter was good for its maps and general info, and if this is first time for you, you might like it a lot. However, I really didn't learn anything new by reading it.

Dsnygirl
09-06-2007, 03:52 AM
:mickey: Honestly, we used both, and we were in the same situation as you. It'd been 8 years since my DH and I had gone, and was our first trip with our girls. We were given an UG, which I liked for some of the details, but I ordered the Passporter b/c I liked the idea of having a place to store our info, write things down -- and the maps are second to none, except maybe Disney's. In fact, we like it so much I ordered the binder, and now just get the one current to our upcoming trip and just put it in the binder each time. So, I'd say use both, and enjoy the uniquely different perspectives they both give you! (Did that help?? :blush:)

CanadianWDWFan
09-06-2007, 08:10 AM
just like Blythe we use both of them. I prefer Passporter since you can write stuff down is it, stash our info and the likes. The binding itself lends to being condusive for traveling the parks since you can fold the book over on itself.

But you can never have too much information for a trip to WDW !:mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
We love the passporter since you can wirte stuff down ex res & conf # for each day. It has saved us more than once. We bring it to the parks each day. Before our trip we write down things to do & see and it reminds us of all the not to miss things. Getting old is tough. I think the Unofficial guide is great for planning but the Passporter is great to have on hand in WDW.

LoriMistress
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I like both, but as of right now I'm using TGM (Tour Guide Mike), and so far he's been right on the money! Though, I have used UG and I'll be getting my PP soon, and I can't wait to check out.

mjaclyn
09-06-2007, 12:44 PM
:mickey: DH and I have used both, but for our upcoming trip I've been using the Passporter. It's our DD's first trip to WDW and it will make a great souvenier for her when she's older. I've written down all of our ADR's and what we plan to do each day, I have a copy of our hotel confirmation as well as our flight info. I think the Passporter is a great idea - especially if you plan on saving it to remember a special trip!

jenperich
09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I use both as well. However, I like the Passporter a lot more. It's much more fun than the UG. Plus, like others have said, it's a "souvenir" in itself because you can save everything! We were lucky because our travel agent sent us a copy with our package. But, I have bought other things from Passporter since reading the book. Have fun with whatever book you choose.

Disney Doll
09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I have both and enjoy both for different reasons. The Unofficial Guide has a TON of information. More info than is probably necessary, but I find that stuff to be interesting. The Passporter is much more concise. It's the kind of guide you could actually take with you. I use it as more of a vacation organizer.

sillyolbear
09-06-2007, 02:07 PM
I have both and echo the above posts regarding the detail that the UG provides.

Depending on how you like to plan, they can be complimentary planning tools to use in tandem.

RBrooksC
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
We like to use both but my wife and I like The Passporter because it allows us to keep a little diary of our vacation.

We had fun recently looking back on our last Disney Vacation. That was actually three years ago today. When we go to Disney in thirteen days, we will have another diary to look back on and remember what we did when we were there.

DawsonAR
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I like both, but we use the UG more due to the extra detail.

Suz36
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I use both, each for their own unique purpose. The UG has great information for your research phase of planning, then PP is great for organizing all of that research into your specific trip. But as many others have said, I can never get enough info about Disney!!

GrmGrninGost
09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I prefer the PassPorter. I also like Birnbaums. I really don't care for the UG.

tinksmom02
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I use both, each for their own unique purpose. The UG has great information for your research phase of planning, then PP is great for organizing all of that research into your specific trip. But as many others have said, I can never get enough info about Disney!!

:ditto:

I'm planning on taking the PP with me on our trip...not IN the parks, but to help me organize my plans, etc.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 2008 vesion...I preorded it long ago, and we don't even have a trip planned for next year!

JCDarzi
09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
We use both but this is the third year that I have purchased a Passporter. I read other guides for information but Passporter is the one I take to the park. I love the colored foldout maps. I also like documenting our trip each day. I don't always do a good job of journaling or scrapbooking but I always have the details of the trip in my Passporter.