PDA

View Full Version : Dec 8-15 or Jan 16-22

mudpuppysmom
09-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to plan a trip right now. Originally I wanted to only take DS out of school (he just started Kindergarten, so it's not a giagantic deal if he misses a week) for two days in January over MLK weekend......I kept thinking SOMETHING was happening that weekend other than MLK holiday and true enough there will be cheerleaders converging on WDW that same time, so I presented DH with that one.......he just raised his eyebrows and said "we'll deal with it".....then I asked him about going before Christmas and I became animated with all the splendor that is Disney around the holidays.....he replied "I guess we're going in December since you have already decided we're going in December so why do you ask me my input".....I humor him with helping make the decisions, but half the time he doesn't go with DS and I or he comes for a "long weekend".

SO, I try to make the plans.....the airfare is good to go (it's open and relatively cheap), car rental is a decent price, SOG is booked, however I can get an AP rate at POP of $59 per night --I've never stayed in a value before either, so that is something else to consider! Also I'll need new AP's, but I was going to get them in January anyway, so thats a wash.

What do you guys all think........DH thinks I've already convinced myself since the holidays are my most favorite time and I was kinda bummed we were going to miss all of the hoopla this year.....plus Santa at the American Pavilion is just ALL THAT along with Mrs. Claus!!! The Christmas card was priceless last year!!

Gimme your thoughts please........

kakn7294
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I think you've already convinced yourself and just want us to justify it! :D The only reason I see for going in Jan is that the crowds will probably be smaller. I was surprised at how large the crowds were this past Dec (we were there the week before you are planning). If your gut is telling you to go in Dec and your DH says it's okay, then go for it and have a great time!

BigRedDad
09-06-2007, 04:35 AM
My DW is like your DH. Since our Honeymoon, our plans to go to WDW went out the window between work, worse work, school, and new baby. Now that DD is at the age we want to take her, I can't get going out of my head.

We were there over Thanksgiving. The weather was perfect and the decorations are incredible. I would take Dec over Jan any day. simply because you get the XMas decorations, MVMCP, and maybe warmer weather to enjoy the pools. Historically, Jan is slightly colder and more no pool days.

faline
09-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Personally, I'd go in December. That's actually my favorite time to visit!

Madame Leona
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't care to go to Disney in December. I went last year for the first time, and while it was beautiful, I felt like I missed the holidays at home. I was very sad after Christmas was over and told DH I can't ever do that again. Luckily he understood.

alex61821
09-06-2007, 10:56 AM
i agree with the whole spoils christmas thing at home. that is the only thing in winter to look forward to other than a disney trip. after christmas we can still look forward to taking a trip.

DDuck66
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
We actually spent last Christmas at the POPS and it was wonderful even though it was a bit crowded. The decorations, the special events, and the magic of the holidays combined with the magic of the mouse is just too good to pass up. We are going the weekend of the Dec 15th, just to get a Christmas fix this year. Also make sure to go to the Candlelite Processional. It is the best!!!!!!

illini
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
i'm more than happy to go along with your evil plot to get us to back you up. :thedolls: december is a much better choice.

$59 a night at POP? sounds good to me! if we weren't too kid heavy, i'd snap that up in a heartbeat!

Samtastic
09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I was there last year in January during that period...it wasn't empty. It falls right in between MLK and marathons. I'd vote for dec...and you could still get the old DDP if you prefer.

apequet
09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
We are going the same week (Dec 8-14)!!
See you there!

caubert
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Early December is great. We went Dec. 7th 2006 and it was wonderful. The decorations put you in the Christmas spirit and the crowds and weather are great.

caubert

LoriMistress
09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
If you go to WDW during 8th to 15th the Pop Warner kids' last say at the parks will be on the 8th, and Mousefest I believe it ends on the 10th when they go on their DCL.

It sounds like to me that you really want to go to WDW in December. I'd say go for it. If you go in January, it will be colder, smaller crowds, but some rides will be closed due to refurbishments.

mudpuppysmom
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
It's good to know that one can always count on friends on Intercot to help "validate" a trip to Disney.......Do we ever really need validation!?!??!?!

We've been both in January AND December (6-12, 2006) and just the whole holiday splendor got it for me.....if we lived down there I'd be there ALL the time from the time the decorations go up until they come down......

Thanks guys!