PDA

View Full Version : Question about revised DDP

huzzah4
09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I have seen that the DDP has been revised so that the TS credit will no longer include an appetizer or the gratuity. When exactly will this go into effect? We are going in Oct. and have already purchased the DDP for this trip, but I need to know if we will need to take the extra money to tip the waitstaff.

Also, is anyone else as unhappy with these changes as I am? To me, this seems to take a good deal of the value out of the DDP. With the way I normally leave gratuities, this change makes it almost as expensive as not using the plan. At least it will give me an excuse to finally get AP's and purchase the DDE card.

January-2007
09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
When exactly will this go into effect?

January 1, 2008.

Strmchsr
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
The change will take affect for 2008, so you're fine for your October trip.

Honestly, I haven't found the DDP to be a tremendous money saver even up until now since we've never cared about a TS every day, but the new plan definitely isn't. I'll just go back to OOP from now on.

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes it did take a big chunk of savings out of it. I calculated it out so that I'd only be saving 15-20%. (Even did the analysis if I didn't order dessert at lunch, i'd still be saving 10-15% [using the snacks as $3])

It's also a lot less convient, because now I have to carry cash around to tip. (Or charge it to the room). It was just easier to not carry that much money at all (and easier to NOT spend it).

I wish they would only eliminated one-app or tip. Both just stinks. But I'm still saving some (albeit $45-60) but it's still saving.

r4kids
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
The thing that makes me the most :mad: is they have kept the price for the DDP pretty much the same. So what gives? I am not sure about getting in when we go after this trip. I will be interested to see some trip reports in Jan 2008.

omearac
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
The savings are definitely not really there any more, but there is still the comfort of knowing that virtually all your meals are prepaid. It is much more comforting to me to think that I'll need $150.00 for food budget verses $700.00.

We always pay our package way in advance and then start saving for spending money. At least with the DDP you know most of it is already handled. :)

Jared
09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't mind paying gratuity, but I wish appetizers were still included. My family doesn't always need dessert, but the appetizers are often the best part of the meal.

Ideally, each person could choose either an appetizer or dessert, so my family of five people could have three of one and two of the other.

cal5755
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't mind the gratuity part because we leave cash on our table as well as what is included in the DDP (I myself am a waitress and know how it is to wait on tables in a busy restaurant...in wdw they definately deserve the highest precentage of gratuities and there are too many people who think 10 percent is great). We love the appetizers though.... however I must say that on our ts meals we hardly have room for app, entree and dessert and with a lot of the buffets there is no appetizers anway... if the plan stays in effect we would most likely do 90 percent buffet dining... I still would do it for the simple fact that dining is still paid for before I go.

MsMin
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I think we would still save money- it was too much food but I think the wait staff will lose out on my dining b/c I always tipped extra now I won't be able to or don't see the reason to TIP more - I tipped on top the 18% - I figured that the changes were effecting their budget b/c many now had more reportable income- so I gave more.

Natazu
09-10-2007, 04:09 AM
I don't mind paying gratuity, but I wish appetizers were still included. My family doesn't always need dessert, but the appetizers are often the best part of the meal.

I agree. That's pretty much what I said in the letter I wrote to the mouse. The value in the plan is reduced enough by the loss of the paid gratuity but taking the appetizer away, that adds like $25 a day to our dining cost alone.
I did a mathematical model using data from how we've dined in the past and it pretty much said to pack a lunch.

MickeyandTink
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Ideally, each person could choose either an appetizer or dessert, so my family of five people could have three of one and two of the other.

:ditto:
From what I have read on several other posts, the amount of tips actually being earned by the CM's under the dining plan could vary greatly, so you could never be sure what your server was actually being tipped and whether or not additional tipping was necessary or appropriate. At least now you should know what to tip by the time you order.

However, I strongly agree it would be a lot better if you could choose either appetizer or dessert. I really would prefer not to have that much sugar.

My guess is I'm not alone and Disney knows that, figuring that almost everyone would choose one or the other if they had a choice whereas a lot of people may forego dessert anyway even if they can't get an appetizer.

tinkerbell04
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
My guess is I'm not alone and Disney knows that, figuring that almost everyone would choose one or the other if they had a choice whereas a lot of people may forego dessert anyway even if they can't get an appetizer.

And, most of the appetizers are more expensive then the desserts, some are ten to twelve dollars.:mickey:

jpH/keD
09-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow! I had not heard this change yet! What a bummer! We are going in Nov and will use the appetizers to the fullest knowing they will be gone for our next visit! :( I am so bummed now thinking of paying oop! We use the TS credits for all the character dining experiences for our DD6 and DS4! They LOVE spending time w/ Mickey and the princesses! Hopefully Disney will reconsider. This seems like a gimme and then a take back. They cannot possibly be losing money the way the plan currently works!:confused: