PDA

View Full Version : SW and their Internet Fares....

DISNEYFIX
09-05-2007, 09:25 AM
To our SW experts, is it common that there were none or very few Internet fares released this last round of fare openings? Any views that this will be the case for the next release of flight dates? We are waiting for the release of mid March dates and am a little leary of what the $$$$$ will be. I think $99 each way is a fare price to pay to book when dates first open. What do you think?
Thanks
Chris

DizneyRox
09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I've seen no rhyme or reason behind Southwest releases lately. I've found that it's often best to buy early for the best reliable fare. It may go down, it will probably go up.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I must agree that lately it has been so unpredictable. We purchased our airfare back in early june for our upcoming trip in 15 days. It started out at $120 each way. There was only a very short time frame that it went to $49 each way and we snatched it up. And that was thanks to a tip here on Intercot! (thanks!) It was not even a ding! fare. I have been looking everyday to see and it does not change and forget about ding! there is nothing. Luckily we snatched it up because it has not gone down that low since than, It actually went up $9 to $129! Airfare is always the hardest to decode but this year was ridiculous!

Fangorn
09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Southwest has indeed been doing some different things lately when compared to their historical rate structures.

Caveat - this is my experience from Portland, OR to the east coast (Florida and DC areas). Your mileage may vary.

I have noticed a couple of trends though over the last few schedule openings.
At the opening of a new set of schedules, the Internet Fares are very high.
Within a month or so, they have gone down.
There have been Ding fares for every one of my normal flights at some time or another.
Pay attention to the Promotional Fares as well. I have seen the Promo Fare be significantly less than the Internet Fare. I have a flight to DC in two weeks where the Internet Fare was $149 one way, while the Promo fare was $74 - go figure. I got this fare 4 weeks out.

My advice, for what it's worth, is if you're looking for fares in March, I'd watch things for at least a couple of months before getting anxious. And sign up for DING if you haven't already.

Steve