PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express back to MCO

Cindy'smom
09-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I need some input from you folks. I used Magical Express for the first time this past January. We decided to take an earlier shuttle back than we were "assigned." We were glad we did. I do not remember exactly how long it took us to get to MCO but I remember several stops and SEVERAL guests on the bus fretting and cursing the system because they were going to be cutting it extremely close at MCO due to departing at the assigned time. How has Magical Express worked for everyone? Did you find departing the resort at the assigned time worked and allowed sufficient time at MCO? We are going back in February as a family and I'm trying to decided if we will do Magical Express or rent a car. Thanks for your input!:mickey:

DizneyRox
09-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I can't imagine the three hour window not being long enough. When I take a limo, I have them pick me up two hours before departure, I've never been to an airport AT the two hour mark and never had a problem.

To me, ME takes a lot of valuable time out of a vacation. I always spend the money on a limo/town car and enjoy the extra time and convenience.

CanadianWDWFan
09-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Try taking a flight back to Canada. Even though the flights are considered domestic flights, you still get picked up 4 hours before your flight time.

While I loved DME for getting to the resort, getting back to the airport was what I didn't like. Like DizneyRox said, it takes time away from you.

We have been lucky the last two trips to get some great rental car deals so we haven't had to use DME recently.

disneymom15
09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
We've never had a problem. For the amount of money saved, the 1 hour lost is worth it . I like knowing that DME will be waiting for us. Once, we used a towncar service, they were suppose to pick us up 2 hours before flight (they didn't), we had to use another service and it cost us $80 extra.

vicster
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
We've never had a problem with DME either. Pick up is three hours before your flight and we always end up sitting at the airport for quite a while.

martinfamily5
09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
My DH (and I am starting to think like him) says that the convinience and comfort of the town car is worth the $95. It is so relaxing, no stress, no waiting with others to board, no other stops. We do pay an extra $10 for a grocery stop. We figure we are still saving money not having to buy snacks at the World. I don't understand renting a car if staying on property. The shuttle service is so good. My :twocents:is that the car service is the way to go. Love it!!!

LauraF
09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
It may also be that your ride had several people who had missed their scheduled departuire and had to catch a later flight. That could be why they were cutting things close.

mook3y
09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
We have had no problems at all with DME. Love not having to worry about dealing with our luggage!:cloud9:

We like that part of it so much, that this year, we went with an airline that has the direct luggage back to airport from the resort.

CleveRocks
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
DME is perfect for me.

I don't find it to be a hassle at all. And as far as being picked up 2.75 or 3 hours before flight time on the last day, I happen to like that, too. I'm never happy cutting things close.

Even if I wanted a car service to pick me up 2 hours before flight time, I still don't think I'd be comfortable paying $120 for that single hour.

As far as saving money by making a grocery stop, you can also get a grocery delivery. But even if there wasn't such thing as grocery delivery, I highly doubt that the cost of a car service would be less than the amount SAVED by avoiding buying grocery items at a resort store. In other words, it's not a good idea to choose a car service over DME based solely on the idea that you'll save money with a grocery stop, since there are other grocery options.

But like I said, grocery delivery is not only available to us all, but it's also a time saver -- I like the idea of my stuff already being held for me when I arrive, rather than having to waste time wandering around a strange supermarket and then wasting more time waiting in line. I do it when I vacation other places, and believe me, I LOVE the grocery delivery options available in the WDW area.

martinfamily5
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Our car service is $105 round trip with the grocery stop. I don't know, it is just what my DH prefers.

lindique
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Even if I were taking a limo, I wouldn't gamble with leaving WDW only 2 hours before my flight. You never know what could happen - an accident closing down the highway, being chosen for extra screening at the airport, a long line for baggage check-in - all sorts of things could happen. I'd rather be at the airport a little early and spend the time looking in a gift shop and sipping a soda than worrying about missing my flight (and think of what you could buy at Disney with the extra $120 you save!):mickey: