PDA

View Full Version : BFF Birthday Bash Weekend - Day 2

chechas
09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Cast:
Me (36),Nikki (40)

When:
Saturday Sept 1, 2007

We took our time getting up and out. Stopped by the Boardwalk bakery for breakfast but the line was out the door and heading down the boardwalk so we decided to just go on to the park. Got to Magic Kingdom by about 9:30am. We went to Main Street bakery for breakfast....forgot all about the DDP and paid for our meal - LOL. Nikki got ham, cheese and egg croissant sandwich with coffee and I got an almond bear claw with water. The lady helping us also gave us a HUGE chocolate chip cookie just as a magical gift for us. Very nice of her! We knew we weren't going to eat it and did not want to carry it around (was as big around as my face if not bigger) so we gave it to this family sitting next to us because the little girl was behaving so well.

Off we went to ride rides and just soak up Disney....the longest wait we saw was 20 minutes. Most rides were 5 minutes or less though. Which was great. Made the circuit starting in Adventure land and left MK around 12:30 headed to Epcot on the monorail.

The lines to get in were really long but once in the park did not seem that crowded. Made a stop at Club Cool to try the coke products...could not trick Nikki into trying beverly but it was fun to watch other people. The wait for Fast Track and Soaring was 60 minutes on the tip board but we were not really there to ride so we then headed to Mexico to get a frozen Margarita. YUM! I had strawberry and Nik had fiesta(layers of lime, kiwi, mango and strawberry margarita). We then went to Cantina de San Angel for a quick lunch....we both got the Tacos al carbon which were delicious especially the refried black beans. For dessert Nik got a churro (always good) and I decided to try the bunuelos (they are prepackaged cookies similar to funnel cake that have been fried all to heck until they are very very crunchy and hard and then sprinkled with sugar...just ok, a little too hard for me). It started drizzling while we ate and then it down right poured with thunder and lightening so we finished quickly then made a dash for Mexico Pavilion. We were soaking wet and the blasting AC inside of the pavilion gave us both a chill later on. We walked around and ended up buying a couple of ponchos and ventured back out. We made it as far as the walkway between Future World and World showcase before we had to give it up and seek shelter inside the gift shop there.

I did see something that disturbed me. This woman was trying on the earrings. I mean she took out her earrings and then was taking earrings off the rack and putting them in her ears to see how they looked then taking them out, putting back on the card and on the rack. I just did not feel that was hygienic. We mentioned it to a CM and they were like, oh no! and spoke to her briefly. So just something to keep in mind - make sure you clean new earrings thoroughly...I always do but now I will have this image in mind. LOL

The rain let up enough that we made a dash for International Gateway and caught a boat back to the Boardwalk. We took showers to warm up (being soaked and standing in high AC areas really makes you cold. We relaxed and read for a bit then realized it was 4:30! We were trying to be at Raglan road at 5:30! We hurried to get dressed then caught a bus to DTD. Got to Raglan road a little before 6pm but could not get a table for 45 minutes or so (our ADR was for 7:20 but was made before we bought tickets for Earth Wind and Fire and when I called to change them a couple weeks ago, they were only taking walkups for Raglan Rd for that night so we decided to risk it). But the bar had open seats so we grabbed 2. Bartender 1 (we ended up chatting and ordering from 2 different bartenders during our time there) was named Angel and she was very spunky and friendly. A couple next to us was trying the bear flight and we did the same. I forget the name of the one we got I think it was United Nations ( there are 2 different ones, the other was like The Four Provinces or something). anyways you get 4 samples of beer about 6 oz each. Ours had Stella Artois, Southwick....I forget the other two as these were the ones we liked LOL! But one had a lemon on top for you to put in and had a corona-ish taste and the other was a cream ale and tasted flat. After sharing that Nikki ordered the Southwick and I got a Murphy's Red (tasted similar to Killians). These were poured for us by David who was helping Angel out. For appetizers, we got drunken chicken and Goat’s Town...the drunken chicken was just ok and a little on the dry side....the sauce which had a lemony taste to it helped but not a lot. The Goat's Town was to die for we thought. For main course we both got Posh Pan chicken - once again just ok....nothing exciting. The bartenders were great and friendly and we did not want to leave. At this point there was a minor drama at the bar by a woman who ordered a glass of wine and insisted on them opening a fresh bottle for her. David told Angel who was on the other side of the bar (the bar is circular with a floor to ceiling wall in the middle so if you are sitting on one side you can't see the people sitting on the other. Well where Nikki and I were sitting, we were at the end of the wall so could see both sides. But the lady was all the way to one side and could not see the other. Angel opened a new bottle from the wine rack on the far side and poured her a glass of wine. The lady went off and was like I know you didn't open a new bottle. I saw you pour from the old bottle. Angel was like, no ma'am I really did open a new bottle, I can show you, which she went and got the new bottle and brought it around and it only had enough wine missing for one glass. Nikki and I were nodding at this point as we had seen her open the new bottle and pour. The lady would not let it go....mind you this was not a corked bottle of wine but a twist off. Angel offered to open another bottle and assured the woman that she would not lie to her (the lady had gotten pretty loud at this point) I thought Angel handled it well because I would have given the lady a sobriety test then tossed her out on her drunk behind...but that's me.

Once the lady left, David asked the girls to the other side of us if they would like refill on their beers and one of the girls said perfectly deadpan, "only if it is from a fresh tap". We all cracked up laughing. David tried to be professional and hold it in but he even started chuckling. We then ordered dessert...I got the Bailey's crème Brule tart and Nikki got the Triple your pleasure (white chocolate mousse, chocolate mousse and tiramisu mousse each in their own little tea cup on a plate). The mousse was great but that crème Brule tart was sin! I want another one and even though I was very full I could not stop eating it. David told us to come back later for drinks after the show and we said we would try and we headed out to catch a cab to Gaylord Palms. Well that cab cost $14 one way. I will not go into the issues with the concert as that had nothing to do with Disney. All I will say is that Nikki and I are in full agreement that we will not be doing another concert sponsored by Tom Joyner again as a separate ticket event. Chaos and anger, almost scalped our tickets we were so frustrated - could not even fully enjoy the show. But Earth Wind and Fire are still hot and put on a great show.

We left before it was over and caught a town car back to the BWI around midnight. We were both dead on our feet and decided to just go to bed. We had a couple beers from our fridge and opened a bag of chips then passed out.

Another day of fun and zany adventures for the BFFs.

Tomorrow: EPCOT, MK, V&A and Pleasure Island

iheartmickey
09-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Sounds like another really nice day. You made the best of it even in a downpour!

That's really gross that the lady was actually trying on the earrings! :sick: I can't believe people don't think before they do things like that!

Sorry to hear about your frustration at the concert, I'm glad you enjoyed EW and F anyway.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

January-2007
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the trip report! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I am anxious to try Raglan Road next month, as it sounds like a really fun place. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

BriarRose0708
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a long but fun day! I love Earth Wind and Fire. I've been to the Gaylord Palms before, what about it was frustrating?

Reglan Road sounds like a great time, maybe I'll put it on my dining wish list. Off to read about day 3!

chechas
09-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a long but fun day! I love Earth Wind and Fire. I've been to the Gaylord Palms before, what about it was frustrating?

Just to clarify - the problem was not with GayLord Palms at all. It is a beutiful yet huge resort. the problem was witht he group that rented out the convention center for the concert we went to (Tom Joyner Morning Show). They really made us angry and disappointed and while I have attended a few events int he past...I will be steering clear of them in the future.

So Gaylord Palms had nothing to do with it really since the group brought thier own coordinators and security who we had problems with.

BriarRose0708
09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Just to clarify - the problem was not with GayLord Palms at all. It is a beutiful yet huge resort. the problem was witht he group that rented out the convention center for the concert we went to (Tom Joyner Morning Show). They really made us angry and disappointed and while I have attended a few events int he past...I will be steering clear of them in the future.

So Gaylord Palms had nothing to do with it really since the group brought thier own coordinators and security who we had problems with.

We had the same complaint with the conference I attended there. Al Gore was the featured speaker and the organization of the event was awful. There were about 8,000 people there to see him and it was just chaos.

pdrlkr
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

disneydrmr
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
A long but wonderful sounding day! You dinner sounds like it was a lot of fun! Did you make sure to ask for a fresh plate? lol

Bethis26fan
09-05-2007, 05:46 PM
sounds like a great day

faline
09-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Except for your concert issues, it was a fun filled day!

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.