PDA

View Full Version : Epi Pen and Heat At Water Parks ?

pooh13
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
My daughter who is 5 1/2 wants to try a water park this time when we go.
My question is this : What do I do with her Epi Pen that can not get hot in the Heat of Sept. at the water parks ? I am thinking that the lockers get hot and I am not sure how far away they are from the water slides etc..
It will only be the two of us when we go.

Any Ideas ? :confused:

Thank You

Catwillow
09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
from what I am understanding you can check them in at the first aid stations....I'm sure there is a more experienced Intercotee with the correct answer.....

Mufasa
09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I know a similar question to this came up when I served as a paramedic a long time ago and we wondered about carrying Epi-Pens with us in the field when we had extended duty stationed out in the summer heat for things like long outdoor events and when we checked with the manufacturer of the Epi-Pen, Dey Pharmaceuticals did some testing and exposed some sample Epi-Pens to high temperatures for extended periods of time (I think the study was 8 hours of exposure over 12 weeks) and found only some very slight deterioration of the epinephrine but under those conditions after the event we would just replace the Epi-Pens to be on the safe side.

Their recommendation for transporting an Epi-Pen was that we could take a gel-pack like you'd use to keep stuff chilled in a cooler and wrap it in a moderately thick towel or washcloth and keep it not directly against the Epi-Pen but just to keep it at least slightly cool. In their view it was ok for the Epi-Pen to be slightly warmer than recommended (the acceptable range from the packaging is up to 86 degrees F) rather than colder than recommended- too cold like being refrigerated and you run the risk of mechanical failure.

Piglet822
09-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Is it possible to bring a small collapsible cooler with you and fill it with either bags of ice or a gel pack as Kevin suggested?

I'm not experienced in this area but I was also under the impressiong that Disney could help out with storage in a case such as this.

Mufasa
09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
If you really need immediate access at all times to an Epi-Pen, there are several waterproof cases that you could also carry and clip the Epi-Pen to yourself while you're out and about even playing at the water parks which might be a good option also and if it were on your person then I don't think you'd have too much to be concerned about with as far as exposure to really extreme temperatures.

pooh13
09-07-2007, 09:06 PM
I do not think I am able to back gel packs on the plane .
But If we were driving this would be great .

Do you know where I can get a waterproof case / holder for a epi pen ?

Piglet822
09-08-2007, 03:12 AM
I saw some the other day at Wal Mart - if any of the stores near you still have summer stuff for the pool, check there.
If not, the waterproof containers are sold right at TL and BB. The last time I was at TL I also noticed they had a larger waterproof case that would hold sunglasses, prescription glasses, etc.

Tinkermom
09-08-2007, 09:27 AM
We carry an epi-pen for my son with us wherever we go At the waterparks we would just carry a small bag that we kept our sunscreen and epi-pen in. We did not use a locker but rather just found a chair near where we would be and set our stuff there. When we would move to a different area we picked up our stuff and found a different chair or spot so that we could lay our stuff down. This way I knew we were close to the epi-pen if we needed it. I did not need to have it on me on the slides and such as my son's allergy is a food allergy. If you are needing it with you at all times a waterproof case is the way to go.

We have brought the gel packs onto the plane. We check our lugggage. I wrap them in Ziploc bags in case they explode on the plane. Even if they do explode inside of the Ziploc you can still use them. :)

If you go to foodallergy.org they have a selection of epi-pen carriers. Not sure if they have waterproof ones.

pooh13
09-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank You to everyone for your help with this .