PDA

View Full Version : Delta Infant Fares

merlinmagic4
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Has anyone been able to get a half price infant fare on Delta? I thought they offered them but I called today and was told they didn't. The "kid" I talked to acted as if he had never heard of them. I didn't have enough money to pay full fare (I was adding the infant seat to our existing reservation) so I ended the call. I looked on the website and it says they are "sometimes" available. I was thinking of calling back and asking someone else but thought I'd throw it out to Intercot first.

KAT1811
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Don't know about Delta but I tried on SW and the fare was twice what I paid for the rest of us (getting another seat for the baby was an afterthought). I'll stick with the original plan and keep her on my lap. It worked with the other two so I'm sure she'll be fine.

BigRedDad
09-05-2007, 05:30 AM
I think the reduced fare for children died a while ago. Most airlines still allow children under 2 free on your lap. After that, it is the same price because they need a seat.

teambricker04
09-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Yup... most airlines got rid of it. I think that when the FAA changed some standards on saftey seats for children, they changed a bunch of things on the cost of infants and children.

The kid probably never heard of it because he is a kid and probably started after the rules were changed.

Personally, I would have asked to speak to a supervisor to clarify the changes. They would have been more helpful and knowledgeable.

KAT1811
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I thought the same but SW actually advertizes the fares under the traveling with infants informational page. That was the only reason I even thought to ask.

They should contact the passengers traveling with lap children as the flight draws closer and offer the reduced infant fares to them if the flight is not full. I know with SW I has to put the notation PLSINF along with my last name in the last name field of th online booking page. I'd gladly pay a reduced fare and bring her seat on the plane, one less thing I would have to worry about.

Dyanna
09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
How old is your infant? We are flying Delta in Oct & having our then 10 month old DD sit in our lap at no charge.

merlinmagic4
09-05-2007, 10:30 AM
How old is your infant? We are flying Delta in Oct & having our then 10 month old DD sit in our lap at no charge.

He'll be 19 months old and he is a true handful :D We held him in our laps in April when he was one. It went okay but knowing him NOW, I really think he would do better in a seat. I am pretty sure he will be struggling to get down if he is in our laps. I think he might just go to sleep in his carseat on the plane - it's familiar anyway.

I also don't want to be the subject of any threads on Intercot about annoying toddlers on planes :D ;)

MickeyandTink
09-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Our DS is not quite two. We have never bought him a seat, but have usually found the airlines (especially Frontier) willing to relocate our seats and give him an empty one next to us if the flight was not full. We've brought his car seat with us and just gate checked it if they did not have any empty seats available.

No guarantees, but it's worth asking the agent (very nicely) about doing it.

merlinmagic4
09-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Our DS is not quite two. We have never bought him a seat, but have usually found the airlines (especially Frontier) willing to relocate our seats and give him an empty one next to us if the flight was not full. We've brought his car seat with us and just gate checked it if they did not have any empty seats available.

No guarantees, but it's worth asking the agent (very nicely) about doing it.

I think that's a great idea. The problem is that we always travel prime time (school vacation/holidays) so the flights are usually not only full but overbooked :(

Minniemouse27
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
We always had dd's car seat when she flew (5 trips between 17mo and 3.5yo) and she slept 9 out of the 10 flights.

Ds is flying for the first time in December for our trip to WDW and we are definitely bringing his seat. There is no way I would travel w/o it!