PDA

View Full Version : Disney Quest

traceyo1
09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Should we upgrade our tickets to the theme parks and more? 14 of us are going, ages from 9-62, with 5 between the ages of 12-18. We are staying for 5 nights Dec 12-17. We are doing the Spirit of Aloha one night, 8:15 candlelight processional another, ADR at 9:40 our first night and the magical fireworks voyage another night. It seems like everyone wants to go but I am just wondering if we will have time. They think we should have time after the parks close? What do you think?

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
My teens went while we were there and they were very disappointed with Disney Quest. They thought it would be a lot of fun with a lot to do, but they said the elevator was the most interesting part. My son is an avid gamer, so this came as some surprise. On their recommendation, I would skip Disney Quest. There are plenty of other fun things to do at WDW.

Speedy1998
09-04-2007, 09:52 PM
As to having time when the park closes, that depends on how late you sleep each day. If you are up a 6am like I am, you will probably be ready to go to sleep when the parks close. Remeber there is always evening EMH.

As for DQ I thought they were going to close it this past summer, I guess it must have gotten a repreve.

BigRedDad
09-05-2007, 05:28 AM
DisneyQuest is not for a Gamer. I am a Gamer and know the type. I also grew up on the gaming era. I had Pong (probably still have it somewhere) when I was about 4, Atari, Intellivision, ColecoVision, and all of the newer systems as they came out. Many of DisneyQuest games are the classic video games from the 80s. They have some of the newer games and some neat virtual games/rides. I would not take my nephew there because he would not enjoy it. I loved it because I was there for the dawn of the era.

However, Gamers love Halo, MMORPGs, etc. Video games at arcades are not something they are into.

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
DQ (Disney quest, not my beloved Dairy Queen :-P ) was not that fun at all. My DBF and I (22) both went and it was just filled with screaming children who seemed to have no supervision at all...seriously :mad:

Anyway the "attractions" there that were semi-interesting were the Pirates part (way too hard for 2 people alone!), the jungle cruise (hey you get a workout), and the virtual SM--which is a create your own coaster ride, which is not specific to DQ at all, it's at most parks, and was even at the Franklin Insititute.

If DQ is the only reason you're going to get the tix, I'd say no, but if you're going to PI too, I say maybe or the water parks.

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 11:08 AM
DisneyQuest is not for a Gamer. I am a Gamer and know the type. I also grew up on the gaming era. I had Pong (probably still have it somewhere) when I was about 4, Atari, Intellivision, ColecoVision, and all of the newer systems as they came out. Many of DisneyQuest games are the classic video games from the 80s. They have some of the newer games and some neat virtual games/rides. I would not take my nephew there because he would not enjoy it. I loved it because I was there for the dawn of the era.

However, Gamers love Halo, MMORPGs, etc. Video games at arcades are not something they are into.

Thanks! This explains a lot. I probably would have liked it. My kids(older teenagers, not the screaming unsupervised set, that sounds awful), no, they didn't like it, but now I know why.

thrillme
09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Hmm...I'm a little surprised at some of the posts. My DS 10 and I LOVE Disney Quest. We have a blast on Duck Pinball and just pretty much like to do "virtual" everything. There's only two of us so we take turns waiting in line for the Buzz Blasters and play a few of the OLD games while we wait (of course the person behind us knows what's going on and often the end up doing the same).

Screaming kids running rampant without adult supervision. Pfft. It happens ALL over Disney. The only place I noticed a slight bit of an issue was on the "ticket" floor for whatever reason. Other than that...I didn't really notice a problem and we were there in Mid July.

We ALWAYS plan for several hours there. Oh my...they have a bunch of those Star Wars Pod Racers. I LOVE this and when it's free I can EASILY play for an hour.

cal5755
09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Gosh I hope it is not that bad. My ds has begged us to go every year and we have always skipped it... we promised we would do DQ on our last day before going to the airport!

traceyo1
09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks, these are some great opinions. I will pass them along to the rest of the group. If anyone else has an opinion, let me know I will keep checking back.

Magic Smiles
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
We go every visit to WDW and spend a day there. There are three of us, myself, DH and DS (teenager) and we all love it. We do all the virtual rides numerous time. We love the Pirates and the Alien one upstairs. Jungle Cruise is also a lot of fun and we almost fell out of the raft our first time on it. We spend lots of time designing and riding virtual roller coasters and we do the drawing academy at least once or twice depending on who they are drawing and of course many of the pinball games. And last but certainly not least we also pig out on a HUGE dessert while taking a rest and sending emails to our friends on their free computers. Sometimes it gets noisy with the kids, but not nearly as bad as some places that I have been. My DS is a huge gamer but still loves to visit Disney Quest every visit. It is great to at least experience it once.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-11-2007, 12:35 AM
My DH and I love it. He is a gamer but not me. We always do the Pirates and Cybercoaster. We made coasters one night until the closed. We enjoy it.

rnin02
09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
We love Disney Quest! Its a great way to spend a few hours...so many different things to choose from, its a blast. And save room for a cheesecake snack before you leave!

positive0negative
09-18-2007, 12:32 AM
I have been three different times with three pretty different groups of people. I would say that it's fun for about half the day..I kind of like how it's all dark and you feel like you're in some weird virtual world for the day. I could take it or leave it (sorry that was so wishy-washy!) :blush:

jiifigment
09-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Here's my :twocents:. It's great with a group, and probably the bigger the better. Pirates (imho the best game in the building) really needs either 4 or 5 people. Jungle cruise is better with 4 too. :pirate:

There's something for nearly everyone:
Cyberspace mountain and virtual reality games for the young and strong of stomach. Animation classes or old arcade games for the older and more easily queasy. Stuff to do together, and stuff to do alone. If some of the older crowd doesn't want to participate, they can go wander Downtown Disney or Pleasure Island instead, depending on the time of day !

The 2 keys for me at DQ are:
1) How busy is it? (it's no fun if there are lines for machines, but when you can do Pirates over and over with 2 minutes wait, it's a LOT of fun!)

2) How much are you paying? DQ is fun, but for me not worth the full price. However, we bought no expire parkhoppers last year. They came with 6 waterpark and/or DQ visits for $50. We'll use all of those visits for either DQ or Typhoon Lagoon. That makes DQ and TL less than $10/day/person for us!

We pick a day in the middle of our vacation that we want to sleep in (since it doesn't open till 11:30 am) and go to DQ. Or if we're flying in that day, it makes a great first day destination.

BTW, I'm 40, my DH is 41, and my kids are 17,14,and 10. We all love it.