PDA

View Full Version : Day Two: SBETigg's WiM Grand Vacation

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Previous Report: Day One (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114620)

Dates: August 19- 29.
Grand Floridian, MK View: Boca Chica 8507

Cast:
Sherri: AKA SBETigg,38, longtime WDW fan.
Sean: The DH, 42, desperate for a vacation.
The DS: 16, still willing to be seen with parents at WDW.
The DD: AKA SunshinePiglet, 14, shares love of all things Disney.

Plans to wake early and head to Epcot go slightly awry as the gang has trouble getting out of bed. I’m up, showered, and ready by 8 and work on rousing the teens. Once out of bed, teens take unexpectedly long showers. With some effort and needling, I manage to motivate the gang to head for the monorail by 9:30.

But first, a quick stop for a morning snack at Gasparilla Grill. The kids and I get Rice Krispies treats (breakfast on a stick?) and we all get water. The DH is a habitual breakfast skipper. We head for the monorail with snacks in tow. I’m pleased when the kids declare that my Rice Krispies treats are better than Disney’s, even though theirs are shaped like Mickey and tipped in chocolate. Oh yeah, I rock.

A monorail switch at the TTC proves the Epcot monorails are packed and we worry that we’re headed to a crowded park. Not so, really, it is just that we’re all headed there at the same time. We manage to FastPass Soarin’ and head back to start at Test Track, only a 30 minute standby wait, not too bad. And air-conditioned. Ah. Unfortunately, the man in front of us is drenched in cologne and we all fight off headaches and allergic reactions from the smell. Ugh. Still, I always love the quirky music and demonstrations in the Test Track queue. The chest impact simulation freaks out my poor DD, who may never want to drive as a result. I’m sure she will change her mind.

On Test Track, fun as usual, I always tease the DH about that corner with the truck. That one really startled him on our first trip and I can see him bracing himself in preparation for it so as not to scream like a girl when it comes. Haha! He manages to keep his cool, but we exchange glances and laugh as we round the corner. My ride photos always come out horrendous and this one is no exception. I would like to know why Disney ride photo cameras seem to add fifty pounds instead of the standard accepted ten. No fair!

We fit in a trip to Mission:Space before Soarin’ (Orange team, no Greenies in this family) and I fail my team by not pressing the Navigator buttons when I should. I chalk it up to hunger and we head for Soarin’. A kid runs in front of us to cut the line and pull his mother in with him just as we enter the FastPass queue. I let it go with a shrug- he’s British and I love the accents. But he’s climbing all over the rails. At first, he’s cute. Then, it becomes annoying. He never moves with the line, and why doesn’t Mum tell him to get down? And how about cutting his hair so he doesn’t look like a girl?

I secretly start to hope he falls then wonder what is wrong with me! How nasty. Of course, I really don't want him to get hurt. Startled, maybe. Must be the heat. Of course, it’s an air-conditioned line so I really have no excuse. What if I turn into one of those mean old cat ladies one day? The ones who keep neighborhood children’s balls that roll into the yard? Oh my! Fortunately, the line moves along, the boy and his mother are taken ahead of us, and I can turn my mind to wondering what row we’ll be in, which section?

My evil thoughts apparently have not doomed us to row three. We’re seated in row one, section A. Fantastic! I love Soarin! The lift-off, the smells, the feeling of flight, and it’s over all too soon. But it’s lunch time. Off to Mexico. We have time to kill, so we head for Norway first. Bad news- Maelstrom is down. Oh well, back to Mexico. The kids get water and the DH and I split a Fiesta margarita on the way. We’re still early for our 1 pm seating, so we ride the boat ride (no line!). I love the new version! I liked the old version, too, but the Fiesta ride in search of Donald is really fun and new, with some old touches remaining.

We get back in time to check in for seating, and we’re seated right away at a table for four in the middle, not near the river. I ponder asking for a river seat, then opt against. We’ve been there before, give someone else a turn (I have to make up for my morning evil thoughts with a good deed, right?). Turns out, a table of Disney execs are seated next to us and they are discussing the Haunted Mansion changes. One of the men exclaims that one of the changes really scares him. OooOoh! Can’t wait to see it!

After lunch (Mexico review) (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114721), we head back to the monorail with plans for an afternoon rest. The DH and I soak up the atmosphere on the balcony (http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/13898/2634734460102098585S600x600Q85.jpg) and head back in to nap while the kids go off to try out the pools. A few hours later, we’re refreshed and ready to hit the MK.

At the Magic Kingdom (http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/15012/2707726460102098585S600x600Q85.jpg)(again, a crowded park), we start at Space Mountain, get a FastPass (60 minute standby line, no thanks), then ride Buzz Lightyear. The DH blows us all away with a 250,000 score and despite my tips from INTERCOT, I can’t get past 40,000. Drat! We ride the TTA and head back to Space Mountain, which is exhilarating as ever.

We have hot dogs and fries (no one wants the brownies, I save them for later) at Casey’s then head for Jungle Cruise. It’s almost time for Spectromagic, but we’ve decided to make it a ride night and not worry about parades. We manage to get FastPasses for Big Thunder, but Splash is out of FastPasses and we decide not to wait in the 70 minute standby line. After Big Thunder, it’s Pirates again (never more than a twenty minute wait for this trip, and usually under ten minutes) and then we’re all tired and decide to head back.

We pass the end of the parade on our way out (hooray! It always makes me happy) and ride the boat launch back to the Grand Floridian. Fireworks are going off as we get snacks and drinks from Gasparilla, and we catch some of them in the sky as we head back to our room. Another tiring but perfect Disney day.

Next: Day Three (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114831)

RedSoxFan
09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a great day. At least the kid that cut in front of you just dragged his mother with him. During our trip to Cedar Point; a kid did that but took his family of 8 with him. I said something, but they didn't care.

iheartmickey
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I too have those moments where I think evil thoughts too. :thedolls: Especially when I see people or hear them acting 'not disney'. LOL!

Sounds like you are had a nice time. I can't wait to read the rest of your reports. :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
lol i've had those moments to, I just chalk them up to not having kids, and figure one day I'll learn. lol Great report.

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 07:53 AM
lol i've had those moments to, I just chalk them up to not having kids, and figure one day I'll learn. lol Great report.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Mine are teens, so maybe it comes back after kids grow up more. I've always taught mine to stay off the rails- they're not seats- and to let people off an elevator or monorail before boarding, but it's not my place to tell other people how to raise theirs. My place is only to make mention of it in trip reports. :laughing: I'm glad I lightened up, though.

January-2007
09-05-2007, 08:22 AM
What a day! The view from your balcony is amazing, oh my! Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Glad that you didn't build up bad Soarin' karma while in line and managed to get Row 1! :D Sounds like another really nice day for your family. Thank you for sharing it with us. :mickey:

murphy1
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
It is so neat to be able to just go right back to GF after the parks!! I think we are going to do Poly or GF one of these days. My friend who I meet up with at TT cracked up last year when I "screamed like a girl" on it. Your reports are great so far!!

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
It is so neat to be able to just go right back to GF after the parks!! I think we are going to do Poly or GF one of these days. My friend who I meet up with at TT cracked up last year when I "screamed like a girl" on it. Your reports are great so far!!

Shari, both good options to try at some point. My kids did prefer the Poly, plus the transportation option is just a little better with the TTC right next door to walk to vs monorailing all around to change monorails for Epcot. But it is nice to avoid buses for about 75% of our trip and we were always to and from the MK in minutes. I'm ready to go back and I just got home. Alas, college funds take priority now for the next few years. Wah!

pdrlkr
09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

BriarRose0708
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Another great day! I'm still in awe of the view from you room.

disneydrmr
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow! I'm really enjoying reading your reports.. they are so well written.. have you ever thought about being an author? :D;) Sounds like this was quite a busy day. And I'm sure if we were all honest we would all admit to thinking evil thoughts from time to time... I know back in December there were a 'few' people that I would've liked to have seen fall off the railings head first :thedolls:...

KylesMom
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Another great day. I like the pace you're keeping, and it sounds like everyone is truly having an enjoyable time together. Can't wait to read more!

pogo
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Sherri..... I've always known "you rock" just from your postings. :thumbsup:

Another great day..... and when I read your reports, I feel as though I am there with you. (that's a scary thought.):D

gauvin4
09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for another great report Sherri! I too have had evil thoughts from time to time.:thedolls: Maybe it was the heat that got to you.:blush:

DizNee143
09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
another great day!! you didnt rush arpound and you still got to visit two parks and do alot of things!! again lunch sounded very yummy..i havent been there in forever!! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

faline
09-10-2007, 12:57 PM
You certainly are taking full advantage of your wonderful Grand Floridian location!

It's always fun to go to more than one park in a day!

dolphinmickey9170
09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
What a great day, and of course, another great view!!

missbunny
09-16-2007, 02:05 PM
We all have had those evil thoughts :thedolls:
Especially for anyone who just doesn't get the Disney Way.
I can't wait to see the updates to Fiesta ride. The old song just stays in my head, all day long. :crazy:
How cool was it to be sitting next to Disney execs. I would have loved to join right in with them, but luckily I am too shy. I may have sent over a drink though :marg:
I am glad your family is having a great time.

Dsnygirl
09-17-2007, 03:41 AM
:mickey: Sounds liek another great day... I'll have to wait until I get home to be able to see your pics, though. :( I really want to see that view... :)