PDA

View Full Version : Grits-yes or no??

murphy1
09-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I figured some of you probably got your first experience with grits at Disney and even though these are not the (dare I say) "real" kind (I'm a Southern girl, they are instant at WDW), do you eat them at the World or hate 'em?? And no, we don't eat them here in the South with Possum!!!!

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I love grits! My mom and grandparents lived in the Fort Walton Beach, FL area for a few years and I grew up with grits. I love them with butter or with maple syrup- is that wrong? I can't recall ever having grits at Disney, but we don't do a lot of breakfasts there these days. We're more late morning snack, CS lunch, and late dinner people at WDW.

Tinkerkel
09-04-2007, 05:20 PM
I LOVE grits! Just butter though, I've never tried them with maple syrup. I have had them at WDW a few times. The best was at Hollywood & Vine - I thought they were instant, but it was really hard to tell. I also had them at Chef Mickeys & they weren't good at all. DH makes them at home with cheese & a new favorite for us is shrimp & grits. YUM!

medic9016
09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
We ate a 1900 Park Fare a few years ago. I ask the CM behind the buffet line if they had grits. She went to the back and made a bowl in about 10 min and brought them out to me. She ask where we were from and said it's not a big request. We all got a good laugh about it.

MsMin
09-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I've had grits @ Chef Mickey's (I think) and the typical buffet styled grits, sometimes a little watery. Grits and shrimp would be nice;). I don't like when they add cheese to the grits b/c it's typically the powdered cheese but I know my dd loves them with cheese. If I have a big breakfast it's just not complete w/o grits. :minnie:

letsdoitagain
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Being a "yankee" from Pittsburgh, PA...I've never had grits. I'm not sure I even really know what grits are exaclty. I've had cream of wheat as a kid...is it similar to that?

disneydeb
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I like cheese grits or butter and sugar on mine.:thumbsup: a side order of hog jowl is good too.

disneydeb
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Being a "yankee" from Pittsburgh, PA...I've never had grits. I'm not sure I even really know what grits are exaclty. I've had cream of wheat as a kid...is it similar to that?

Kind of but, cream of wheat is made from wheat. Grits come from corn.

pixiesmimi
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
We've never seen them serve grits anywhere in WDW. Believe me, my DH would have had them if they had.:) I don't remember seeing them at Chef Mickey's. I don't eat them but he says butter is the only way to go with them although I think my children eat them with cheese. I just never have been able to stand grits or cream of wheat. My DGC have learned to eat them in Daycare for breakfast and that totally surprised me since I really didn't insist that my children eat them because I didn't like them.:blush:

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Northeasterners- If you like polenta at fancier restaurants, you may find you like grits. Similar in taste and texture, though grits can be coarser and served with heavier savory or sweet things while polenta is more delicate and served with more delicate savories, like truffle or garlic.

pogo
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
And no, we don't eat them here in the South with Possum!!!!
Well....... some of us do.....:blush:..... right Natazu ? :D

:funny::trio: :funny: :trio::funny:

Natazu
09-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Well....... some of us do.....:blush:..... right Natazu ? :D

Possum's a little greasy for grits. You're better off with a light cream ragout or tiger sauce.

Truth is, as far as grits go, anything that has to be topped with butter, sugar, pepper, and cheese just can't be worth eating. I'll have an order over medium scattered, covered and topped, hold the grits.

Spaceship Tigger
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I eat grits at home all the time (even the instant kind). I don't think I've ever had them at WDW, but I know I've seen them on the buffet. Butter and salt (and maybe bacon) only though, no weird stuff (especially sugar!).

martinfamily5
09-05-2007, 10:27 AM
We love grits. Lots of butter and salt. Yummy

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I do love me some polenta, but never had grits. The only place I'd get them here in Jersey is Cracker Barrel. I'll try some at the CP when I'm there in January.

TheRustyScupper
09-05-2007, 11:15 AM
1) Some folks in our family liked grits.
2) Others, like me, did not.
3) However, we had to give them up.
4) Mom joined an animal rights group and questioned
. . . is the grit killed humanly?
. . . is the grit on the endangered list?
. . . is the grit wild or domesticated?
. . . is the grit native to North America?

Since we couldn't answer things to her satisfaction, we stopped eating them.

thrillme
09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Lived in Texas all my life but I can't stand grits. Everybody I know puts sugar on them and it totally turns my stomach.

So I will not eat them from a box
I will not eat them with a brer fox
I will not eat them in a house (or castle for that matter)
I will not eat them with a giant MOUSE

I do not like Grits and Possum
I do not like them Spam I am.

Bring on the hash browns

pogo
09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
3) However, we had to give them up.
4) Mom joined an animal rights group and questioned
. . . is the grit killed humanly?
. . . is the grit on the endangered list?
. . . is the grit wild or domesticated?
. . . is the grit native to North America?

Since we couldn't answer things to her satisfaction, we stopped eating them.

So I will not eat them from a box
I will not eat them with a brer fox
I will not eat them in a house (or castle for that matter)
I will not eat them with a giant MOUSE

I do not like Grits and Possum
I do not like them Spam I am.

Bring on the hash browns

You guys kill me ! :funny:

luvdiznee
09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm a Northern Girl who loves grits, and no, not those instant ones. I was hoping to try them at WCC when we go for breakfast. But since they are instant, not so sure.:thedolls: I make them with cheese and of course butter. :cloud9:

RAIDER
09-06-2007, 04:03 AM
There disgusting :ack:.... Its like eating sawdust :ack:

Melanie
09-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Grew up in the South, and I can't stand grits. It's a texture thing to me. Blech! :ack:

So no, I've never had them, or requested them, at WDW.