PDA

View Full Version : Have the lovebugs arrived yet?

angyl15
09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Heading down to wdw in 2 and a half weeks - have the lovebugs flown in yet???

pixiesmimi
09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
In one park we were in last week, can't remember which, maybe MGM, we ran into some, enough that I had to swat them out of my face. But we didn't run into any others the rest of the trip. I did have problems with the mesquitos though, especially at night. It would be best to take your insect repellent, especially since they have been having so much rain lately and that seems to bring them out.

angyl15
09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks!! That has me optimistic that maybe it will be like 2005 where they were only here and there.:party:

Here we go again...
09-07-2007, 12:29 AM
We have thousands here.... want me to send you some? ;)

EmmMOM2
09-07-2007, 07:29 AM
When exactly do these love bugs come and go in terms of late summer/fall??
My DS is terrified of bugs. So i suppose it would be best to avoid those times

PAMOUSELOVER
09-07-2007, 09:39 AM
We returned on MOnday, and did not see one this trip. We saw many in 2005 in the end of Sept.
They are nothing to worry about they are just annoying. They dont bite.

pixiesmimi
09-08-2007, 01:00 PM
They just hang in the air and are annoying because there are so many of them. They don't swarm you or anything and don't bite. Although, they are attracted to white so if they are out, you are better off not wearing a white shirt. I have seen white cars coated with them and a colored car right next to it with none on it. They are usually out September and in the spring around March/April. I think it has been too dry this year for them and the fire ants. Neither seem to be out like in the past years right now.

Here we go again...
09-08-2007, 01:21 PM
When exactly do these love bugs come and go in terms of late summer/fall??
My DS is terrified of bugs. So i suppose it would be best to avoid those times

These are not bugs to be affraid of. They are actullay kind of cute... In spite of what they are doing. :blush:
They do not really "swarm" you, they are just kind of like there... when they land on you they are so light you really do not notice them. If one lands on your hand, you can just watch it walk... or blow it off your hand.
I am trying to think of something to compare it to... but nothing comes to mind... I am scared of most bugs.

tarjaybuff
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
They remind me of a lightening bug. When we went the last week in Sept of 2006 they were everywhere! I was amazed out how many there are. No fear! They just do their business and ocassionally land on you. Better than mosquitos.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
These are not bugs to be affraid of. They are actullay kind of cute... In spite of what they are doing. :blush:

Tell that to a 3 year old girl!!:fit: My DD was scared to death of them last September..no matter how many times we told her not to be. Of course, they were out in ridiculous numbers in September last year.

pixiesmimi
09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I think the first time we saw them here in AL, we had the same feeling. We used to just see them on the fronts of the cars coming up from FL. They are migrating north like everything else. Our kids don't even notice them now because we are so used to seeing them. If they migrate up to you, you and your kids will get used to seeing them. We have seen fewer of them in the last couple of years. Dare we hope they are going to be extinct soon, since they don't seem to serve any purpose? :D