PDA

View Full Version : Fun Family Dining?

martinfamily5
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Ok, I need help. On our first day of our trip, we will not have tickets so outside of the parks, but still on Disney property, where would you recommend FUN family dining? Our kids are DD17, DD 14 and DS 11. We have done Whispering Canyon before and loved it. I really want something fun for the kids.

Thanks for all of your help.

ThanxForNoticin
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Some places my teen-agers have enjoyed:

Boma at AKL
Rainforest Cafe at DTD
Planet Hollywood at DTD
Pepper Market at Coronado Springs

All have fun themes and good food, and won't cost you a park ticket! Enjoy.

ElenitaB
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
The food itself is pretty straight-forward, but maybe they'd like to tackle the Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Cream (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/foodphotos/deluxeresorts/bcpage1.asp#beachescream) (scroll down to see it).

kdsjjb
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
My choices would be either:

O'Hanas at the Poly, which is a family style meal with entertainment. Open fire grilled meats with really good chicken wings and AWESOME bread pudding dessert.

or

Hoop De Doo Review at Ft. W, which is also a family style meal with a show. Fried chicken, ribs, etc. Plus all you can drink beer and sangria for mom and dad.

My kids (DS16, DD13, and DS10) really liked both places. Good food and entertainment at both, but if you time it right, you can get a good view of Wishes at O'Hanas.

mook3y
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I would recommend Ohana's.

Time dinner, so you are there when the fireworks go off in the MK.

Then you could wander the grounds for a bit checking out the resort.

RockChalkKimball
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM
O'hanas would be the first choice. But, if you are looking for something with a little more variety, try Chef Mickey's. It is really fun and relaxed. Plus, you get to watch the monorail right overhead.

MidnTPK
09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
You know, it might be cheaper (and maybe more fun for the teens) to increase the number of days on your park tickets and go to a CS restaurant and see one of the parks' nightly shows than it is to go to a dinner show or nice TS restaurant.

Have you noticed that it costs less than $3.20 a person per day to add additional days to your park tickets after day 4 (actually it is $3.20 to go from a 4 day pass to a 5 day one, then $2.13 a day for days 6 through 10).

Anyway, I agree with all the suggestions above. On my last trip I was going to take the 'common sense' approach and not get a ticket for my arrival day (since I wouldn't be arriving until the late afternoon), but then I looked closely at the MYW pricing scheme and saw that it wasn't much money at all to go to a park that night.

And I know sometimes there are other factors driving decisions like this....just thought I should put this out there.

martinfamily5
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
You know, it might be cheaper (and maybe more fun for the teens) to increase the number of days on your park tickets and go to a CS restaurant and see one of the parks' nightly shows than it is to go to a dinner show or nice TS restaurant.

Have you noticed that it costs less than $3.20 a person per day to add additional days to your park tickets after day 4 (actually it is $3.20 to go from a 4 day pass to a 5 day one, then $2.13 a day for days 6 through 10).

Anyway, I agree with all the suggestions above. On my last trip I was going to take the 'common sense' approach and not get a ticket for my arrival day (since I wouldn't be arriving until the late afternoon), but then I looked closely at the MYW pricing scheme and saw that it wasn't much money at all to go to a park that night.

And I know sometimes there are other factors driving decisions like this....just thought I should put this out there.

Thank you for the tip. I have tried to get one day added, but for some reason, they couldn't add a day to my package. I'm not sure why. Thank you all so much for the ideas. I think that we might give O'Hanas a try.

Momof2boys
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
If you like seafood you could do Cape May Cafe for dinner.

FriendsofMickey
09-04-2007, 03:09 PM
We like the Whispering Canyon (which from your post you have tried). I just wanted to also throw out that you could possibly do a quick or early and then then go to the Campfire Sing-along with Chip and Dale at the Walt Disney Fort Wilderness campground. I am not how willing your children will be. I have never been there, but planned to take mine this coming trip. This is the first year I was made aware of it.

wdwfansince75
09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
First of all, it would probably only cost about $2 a person to add one more day to your tickets, so I wouldn't rule out a park resturant if that's what your group wants.

To add some Disney to your first night, consider Chef Mickey's.....take the resort bus to the MK, and either the resort monorail (always a first night thing for us!) or walk to the Contemporary.

Or take the resort bus to MGM and take the boat to Boardwalk....several options there, including Spoodles.....take a bike ride, or just stroll the BW....

We also like Trails End for a relaxing meal, with a Disney flavor....Resort bus to MK, boat to Ft Wilderness....If you time it right, you may see the Electric Water Parade on the return trip.

GrmGrninGost
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
'Ohana! :mickey:

Jared
09-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Try 'Ohana. It's great for kids and absolutely delicious. My family eats dinner at the restaurant every trip and consistently love our meal.

Coconut races and hula hoop contests entertain youngsters between courses.