PDA

View Full Version : A Small Corner of the World in Felix's Path

ElenitaB
09-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Many, many years ago I had the opportunity to spend some time in Nicaragua's Atlantic Coast. In fact, it was there that I met my husband (he was the pilot in charge of the planes that flew us over there from the country's capital, Managua).

It is an incredibly poor part of a poor country, with old infrastructure (the power plant hasn't worked correctly in years). The better buildings in the city are made of cinderblock with zinc roofing. Most, however, are wood with zinc roofing. A few of the older building are built up on stilts, but the newer ones are built on the ground, which is a sandy soil. There is no way that this part of the country is going to fare well against a Category 5 hurricane. (If you'd like to see a small glimpse of what the city looks like, here's a link to a page (http://www.pto-cabezas.com/) with links to video... believe me, it hasn't changed much since 1996.) Outside of the "city," the people live in very rural areas, in wood houses. If they are of "means," they'll have a zinc roof. Mostly they have thatching.

I'm a big believer in the power of Intercot pixie dust, and more so in the power of prayer. Please keep these in the path of this powerful hurricane in your thoughts today and the next few weeks as they try to reconstruct their lives.

Thanks!

offwego
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Ellen, it must be so hard to be aware of the difficulties such an area would face (and knowing the "world" won't be focused on it for very long).

Pixie dust on it's way that the storm's damage will be lessened somehow.

mrsgaribaldi
09-07-2007, 02:12 AM
More prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way Ellen

Dsnygirl
09-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Sending prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie: their way, and hoping the news will be good!

Caroleh
09-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Sending :pixie::pixie::pixie: and prayers their way.

merlinmagic4
09-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Lots of :pixie: on the way.