PDA

View Full Version : dining sans characters

pokci
09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I asked this in an existing thread but fear that no one has seen the question to be able to answer it so I'm posting it as a stand alone topic.

I love the lack of characters in EPCOT and am disappointed that Norway now features Princesses at every meal. Is there any way to ask that the characters not come to your table so that we may enjoy the wonderful food and native servers and overall experience?:confused:

illini
09-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm sure that's possible. Just tell the host/ess and your server that you don't want visits from the characters. Some might not get the word, but you can just send them on their way.

Just a word of warning, though. Akershus is not the same as it was pre-princess. The food has been "dumbed down," so to speak. It's OK, but we loved it before princess. Now we're really only going so the girls can see the princesses. Food isn't the draw anymore. Plus, no more herring! Hellloo-- this is Norway!

Raye3201
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Wow...I find it hard to believe that you actually liked the food there! We went a few years ago and literally the three adults were not happy with the food selection and left hungry. :sick: Our kids liked seeing the princesses but we haven't been back because we found the food terrible. Maybe they had too many complaints and had to change the menu?:mickey:

pokci
09-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I am so relieved to finally hear from someone who liked it before the Princesses took over! Every time we go - this will be trip number 18 for us- we eat at Norway. We've loved the authentic foods, the brown cheese, the wonderful assortment of small entrees to choose from and to fill up on! We usually have several meals each trip in Norway and get to know the servers and learn some words in their language. I've enjoyed the different foods because they were DIFFERENT! ;) It seems that everywhere else in the "world" food is becoming rather American - standard with few new things to try!

I haven't been since 2004 and truly want to beleiee that at least some small speck of Norway still remains in spite of the characters coming in and taking over!

Thanks! 79 days to go...

Frank Bullitt
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree as well with the above posters about the quality of the food.
I really liked the herring and the peppered mackerel at the koldbord, the goat cheese and stuff, but alot of the offerings looked like stuff from a salad bar.
Also reinforcing this was when I asked Kim Olav (my server back in Sept 2006) if I could take some of the items from the Koldbord to go and he said absolutely because very few of the patrons actually eat the "authentic" offerings.

WRT the characters, you can ask the hostess or the handlers that they (the characters) can spend more time with the younger fans and give your table a pass. Or hide behind the Wall Street Journal (as I did) but this doesn't always work.

Crow
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
AKershus used to be my fav place for a value at lunch. of course that was prePrincess. i did go in May just to see what it was like now. the Princesses were nice enough (esp Jasmine who i got a pic w) but the food choices are dumbed down. i went to the Koldbort which wasnt too bad but not the same. and now the hot entrees you can only choose one. so sad. i wont go back, but ill still stop at Kringla for Schoolbread, viking coffee etc

cheshirecollector
09-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I loved Akershus pre-princess, and would love to go back just for the food. But now I'm wondering if my favorites are still there. I remember eating several helpings of the cold scrambled eggs, and shrimp salad with some kind of pink/purple dressing. Are those still available?

illini
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Gina,
I haven't been since 2005 but I do recall the shrimp salad. Hopefully someone will answer that's been there more recently.

I don't generally go in for eggs, so I'm no help on that one.