PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spend a day at resort?

Crow
09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
i always go to the parks, as much as i say im going to spend more time at the resorts.
do you spend a day at resorts wo going to the parks? what do you do?

#1donaldfan
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
parks, parks, parks....that's why we go.......we spend minimal time at the resort......shower in the am, head out to a park....come back for a short rest, maybe a dip in the pool...then back to a park.....we may eat dinner or late lunch at the resort but that's about it....

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
We'd love to spend a day exploring and relaxing at our resort, but our time is too limited to do so!

The parks take precedence for us, and we enjoy our resort in the morning, evening and the "once in a while" times we stop back at the resort in between park hopping or before ADRs!

:)

mook3y
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
We love having a down day during our vacation!

But, that is why we go more than 10 days, so that we can have a couple of "resort" days and still spend plenty of time in the parks.

But our kids also are now 3 and 5, so we dont do parks from open to close anyways. So, we spend quite a bit of time at our resorts.

I can see where that will change as the kids get older.

Mandykay
09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I LOVE spending time at the resort! Each resort seems to have so much to offer. After a late night at a park or PI I really enjoy getting up when I feel like it, lazing around the pool, and enjoying what the resort has to offer. The moderates and deluxes have great lounges, AKL has the savannah, POR and POFQ have the boat ride to DTD, and there's a great walking trail from WL to FW. Many of the deluxes also have special "tours" that often explain the architecture, restaurants, etc. AKL has a daily activities board in the lobby-I'm sure some of the other resorts do, too. I've been lucky enough to go to WDW many times, so I really try to relax a bit when I'm there.

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
hmmm....is it just me or do the poll results seem a little backward?!

Seems like most of us (up until this point) are saying "no" but the poll indicates most are saying "yes!"

Or am I reading it wrong?

:confused:

TammiMcMan
09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Considering we've been going to Disney since 1975, we tend to hang out at the resorts more and the parks less.

Mousetrapper, you can respond to a poll without posting your comments. That could be why the numbers look funny.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
No, there is too much else to do. We usually take a day off when we get back to relax and recover. We spend all of our time at the parks. When we feel the need to take a relaxing kind of day we go to Epcot and eat and drink around the world.:beer::wine::eat:

Mandykay
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Mousetrapper---I thought the same thing about the poll results, and that was when only 4 people had voted.

Raye3201
09-04-2007, 12:06 AM
We love spending time at the resort...we always try to spend at least a day or two with nothing else planned. In July we went to the Beach Club again and loved all the activities including the movie on the beach and the campfire at night. The kids enjoyed those days just as much as if not more than the days spent at the parks.:mickey:

Sweezy
09-04-2007, 12:58 AM
yes...we always spend at least a day at the resort...partially out of laziness, yes, but its always been one of my favorite parts of the schedule.

BritCody
09-04-2007, 06:59 AM
We usually have one and maybe two days scheduled were we don't go to the parks. We will spend it at the resort pool and then go to Downtown Disney for some shopping

berri_boo
09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Last year when we went for our Honeymoon we set aside two days to just relax at our resort (we also stayed 15 days so I think if it wasn't that long we probably would not have done that). They weren't planned ahead...we just woke up and said "Let's have a nice relaxing day today."
We would go have a leisurely breakfast, walk around the resort, go swimming or do whatever else felt relaxing to us. We stayed at PO-FQ so we went to PO-R and took a carriage ride one evening before dinner.

rnin02
09-04-2007, 07:26 AM
We've spent partial days at our resort before, but never a whole day. We regret that a little, especially since we feel like we didn't get enough time to enjoy AKL...but the parks are just so tempting.

January-2007
09-04-2007, 08:06 AM
We swim, rent movies, go out to breakfast, play cards, walk the grounds....

CanadianWDWFan
09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
We like to spend our time at the parks, but we do consider the resort as part of our vacation. To have the down time and relax is the way to go for us.

RALPH
09-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Half a day maybe. Call it a chill day. We sometimes tour a park, come back early and enjoy our resort.

offero
09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Our last rip was seven days, and we only went to the parks for four of them. The rest of the time we lounged by the pool, went to DD, checked out other resorts, and went for walks around the resorts.

Sometimes we decide to go check the local flea markets out on a down day.

kakn7294
09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Here's a true parent line: I didn't pay all that money to travel 1000+ miles to sit at a resort. :D We do sometimes spend a morning or evening at the resort swimming, but relaxing at the resort is not for us. I get the concept and it would probably be a nice break, but I just can't do it. MK calls!!!

Madame Leona
09-04-2007, 09:36 AM
We don't do it every vacation but we have spent days at our resort. On those days, we also do a little resort hopping to see where we want to stay next or check out holiday decorations.

DDuck66
09-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I voted yes, but truthfully the only time we spend a day at the resort is when we have gotten sick or are too tired to even move. 99% of the time we are at the resorts every day!!!

Septbride2002
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
We need the break! After going and going for 3 days - it is nice to take a day where we just stay "close to home" we typically dine at our resort, do the pool or another activity there. It will be great this year as we are staying at the Boardwalk and there is a bit more to do in that area that is "close to home"

~Amanda

snifflesmcg
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I've never spent a whole day at the resort. Last year we went swimming once for a hour after the parks were closed. I'm all about the parks!!!

mermaidmarian
09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
As our trips to WDW have become more frequent, we have tried to scale back on the commando style park attack in favor of a slower pace that doesn't demand doing "everything" and some things twice. This past trip we did spend the better part of a day at the resort (PORiverside). DS (9) really wanted to go fishing in the morning and then hang out at the pool until mid-afternoon. We were going to rent the sea racers to round out the days activities, but learned that he was still too young to operate, so we opted to take the boat to DTD for a little DisneyQuest. It was a great mid-trip downtime day.

Crow
09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
i take my time in the parks..park hop, sometimes only a ride or 2 then leave...not there at park openings too much, more at closings to see the shows.
but i have sat by the pool once or twice..not as much as i should. this time i may take a tour of WL when im there.
vowing to spend more time in the resort this time

martinfamily5
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
We usually have one day that we spend at our resort and usually exploring another. Last trip we rented a surey bike and rode it around. The kids had a blast. Another family kept trying to race us. It was fun. This trip, I think that we are going to rent a family size boat. The kids will love that. We are also going to explore Boardwalk.

princessM0m
09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Resort? What's a resort? Oh, that's right--resorts are where the beds are that we crawl into at night and bounce out of in the morning, in between the parks. Need I say more about our habits? Every time I go (about every year or so) I resolve to spend more time at those places where the beds are located, but it never works. Too much to do!

Disney Doll
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
We schedule one day mid trip as a rest day. We sleep in, swim, explore the resort grounds, shop at Downtown Disney, and have a nice dinner. We love having one slow day to just do whatever. It really makes the trip so much more relaxing.

NJMan66
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
We like to spend our time at the parks, but we do consider the resort as part of our vacation. To have the down time and relax is the way to go for us.

Us too! We are leaving tomorrow for 8 days but only bought Park tickets for 5. We love hanging at the resort all day swimming, eating, drinking.... And our kids don't mind it either.

spinnerf
09-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I love the resorts, out of 8 days on our last trip we spent 4 days in parks with a max of 4 to 5 hours per day. The resort for me is where the "vacation" is. Ive been accused, even on this board, of having lost the "magic". I havent I just find it somewhere else. (the resorts). I also enjoy spending part of a day touring other resorts for my next stay.

Tygger7
09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
When we took shorter trips (5 days or less), we never spent a day just hanging at the resort. Now that we go for at least a week, and started staying at WL, we always budget at least one day to do nothing and rest. We like sleeping in, going for a swim in the morning, then hitting the parks in the afternoons on several of our days too. I found that if we didn't take it a little slower, we ended up being totally exhausted by the time we got back home...and it was just too tough going back to work without any "rest" days. Just my 2 cents. :o)

Seasonscraps
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
We generally plan to spend a day or so at the resort - it depends on the length of the trip. Sometimes it's more then one day.

We figure we are paying good money for the resort as well. Plus sleeping in, sitting around the pool and relaxing is just as enjoyable as hitting the parks.

KAT1811
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
We usually spen a day at the resort pool when we have a big night planned. For example the day that we are heading to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review we are just relaxing during the day. That way after the HDDR we can head to the beach at FW or one of the other resort beaches to watch the Electrical Water Pageant and every one won't be dragging.

mouseketeer mom
09-04-2007, 03:40 PM
On our upcoming November trip at the Poly we have our first ever "resort day" planned. It is for Thanksgiving Day! Here's what we have planned.
Breakfast at Kona's at 9:30am.
Then swimming, renting marina watercraft, shopping, relaxing! Then our 5:15 Thanksgiving Luau, Spirit of Aloha show!
More swimming after dinner, then fireworks on the beach.
I can't wait. Each and every trip we say we want to spend more time at our resort "next time"..well, we always remain busy at the parks and don't seem to make that plan come true. So, we thought Thanksgiving Day seems to be crazy busy at the parks, so we just won't go that day!
I can't wait for our resort day!

WinnieThePooh
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I really feel out of place here :D

We will be leaving for POFQ in 14 days and 13 hours!! We will be staying for 6 nights and will only be in the parks one day:jaw: We really just wanted someplace nice to hangout out and enjoy the FLA sun ! With the free dining and free transportation from the MCO, its a great value. We will be going to MGM on Friday and then going to MNSSHP in the late afternoon. The rest of the days we have stuff planned in DW but just not in the parks.

We work so hard all year, relaxing is our number one favorite thing to do on vacation.:number1:

We don't have any kids on this trip either:secret: but when they were little we did the parks from opening to close everyday we were there. I don't think the kids even knew the resorts had a pool!

DONROCK
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
The first few times we went to Disney we killed ourselves everyday in the Parks. Now that we don't have that pressure of feeling like we "have" to do everything...we can enjoy days of sleeping in and relaxing around the pool - a day with absolutely no schedule to follow!

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
We enjoy spending time at the resort. It's really relaxing to have a day off between park visits sometimes and it's a nice way to recharge. We book our vacations long enough to enjoy a day off from parks here and there if we choose. Sometimes we end up just taking a half day off and heading to parks anyway.

IloveDisney71
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't think I could spend a whole day without visiting at least one park. There is too much for me to see at the parks.

kmo84
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
If we are staying at a resort, we usually set aside one day for swimming and relaxing at the resort. We usually have lunch at the pool and an early dinner.
Then swim some more before turning in. Those are always my favorite days, but my kids would probably disagree!;)

Vickie46
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
we always like to have 2 .. half days so we can have plenty of resort time.. its so nice and relaxing.. so worth it..

RAIDER
09-05-2007, 04:10 AM
I spend 80% at the parks ..the other time is for either a quick snack if i am bothered or to load up for stuff for the fridge and the occasional swim :thumbsup:

Disneymadmummyuk
09-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Last September when we stayed at the pop century we had to spend a few days relaxing by the pool and exploring the hotel grounds.

I was 4 months pregnant with our 4th child at the time and was very ill before our holiday.
It took my body a while to acclimatise to the heat but halfway into our 1st week my body had adjusted and we was well away in the parks.

I think we will need to have a few relaxing days on our next trip to as we are taking along my mum for her 1st holiday to the usa.:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
We used to spend a day outside the parks, but no more! We only go to WDW once a year, and we want all the park time we can get! :mickey:

Lightnin McQueen
09-07-2007, 04:44 AM
It's your holiday and here's a story.

2 lumberjacks, Willy and Jim, one as strong as the other and as hard working set to work early one Monday morning and worked a straight 10 hours. Willy didn't stop chopping down trees until the last second of the 10th hour and managed to fell 20 trees which was some feat. Jim didn't fell as many trees, only 18 in fact as he decided to stop and sharpen his axe for the last hour of the day.

Tuesday came and went with both friends still working as hard as the previous day. Jim again managed to fell 18 trees and spent the last hour of the day sharpening his axe ready for the following days work. Willy again chopped from morning until night but due to a slightly blunt axe, felled the same amount of trees as Jim, 18, but he hadn't let up chopped the whole 10 hour shift.

So Wednesday came and again the two friends set to work. Jim worked a back breaking day and felled only 16 trees due to his axe becoming more and more blunt. Willy true to form felled his 18 trees and sharpened his axe in preparation for the next day.

By Friday, Willy's axe was so blunt that he only managed to fell 12 trees and only 14 the previous day compared to Willy's 18 a day on Thursday and Friday.

The morale of this story is that sometimes by doing less and taking time out it's possible get more done and find more reward in what you do.

We stay for 14 nights each year and my family and I always schedule in a few rest days at the hotel to recharge our batteries, rest our aching legs and feet after full days in the parks and then the next day it feels like day 1. As a previous poster advised, some parks are more intense than others so a day at Epcot can be relaxing.

Hope this helps, have a great trip.

wedway fan
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
i'm surprised in the poll results- i know intercotees love their resorts and value their down time, but i would have thought a majority would hit the parks daily. a quick trip of even for an hour or so just to ride one ride or get a dole whip gets me my fix for the day, and with the extra $2/day it costs to add days on to a MYW pass, it's well worth it for us.

krorx
09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
One day we're going to have enough days in our vacation that we'll be able to enjoy a day or two of doing nothing or possibly spend some time exploring our resort...ahh! Now that would be a dream come true.:yes:

Momof2boys
09-07-2007, 02:34 PM
We try to break up our 10-12 day trips with a day or two to spend at the resort, or resort hop, without going to the parks. It's still our vacation.

mermaidmarian
09-07-2007, 02:51 PM
The first few times we went to Disney we killed ourselves everyday in the Parks. Now that we don't have that pressure of feeling like we "have" to do everything...we can enjoy days of sleeping in and relaxing around the pool - a day with absolutely no schedule to follow!

I really wanted to highlight your comments and add that I feel the same way.

I think that the difference of opinion on this might break down along lines of how frequently you visit WDW and how long you stay each time.

Our most recent trip was our second this calendar year. It was intended as a more mellow trip, but I wasn't sure it would actually work out that way once we were on site. It turned out to be wonderfully low key, and DS (9) was really quite circumspect about things, "wait in a 60 minute stand by line for RnR because FP is out for the day or head back to the resort for swimming and a rest - we'll be back another time, we can ride it then".

LudwigVonDrake
09-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I always go to the parks. I will go back to the resort to swim in the pool or lay down and rest for an hour or so and then it's back to the parks :mickey:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
My husband and I usually spend a lot of time at the parks....This year we'll be down there from November 7th thru 17th. On our first day, we are actually going to spend the day at our resort and go to other resorts for some photo opportunities. We will be spending 11 days on this years anniv. trip( 10th ) so we want to pace ourselves and enjoy each magical disney moment!!!!!!!!!:santa3::santa::sleigh:

TikiGoddess
09-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Our last trip was only 3 1/2 days long and we spent two days in the parks and 1 1/2 days at the resort. It was our first stay at the WL so we wanted to enjoy it!

On our full non-park day we went to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, rode the monorail, took the boat back to the WL, swam in the pool, took a nap, and then went to AKL for dinner. It was a great day, especially since it was between our park days. Great way to relax.

TikiG

pixiesmimi
09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
We usually stay 7 days and program a down day at the resort in the middle of the week. Then, like you say, the next day seems like day 1. :)

This past trip, we only stayed 5 nights and didn't spend much time at the resort. I really wanted to and wanted to explore CBR. We came back to the room early twice but DH fell asleep both times and slept all afternoon. :( I feel like if we are going to pay for a moderate or deluxe, we should enjoy what it has to offer at least for one day. We will be doing this next trip at least one day, maybe two. I wish now we had stayed a couple of extra days because when we got home, it was Labor Day and DH's work decided while we were gone to give the employees an extra day and he didn't go back to work until Wed. MAN! We could have stayed a couple of extra days! :mad:

TheRustyScupper
09-09-2007, 12:25 PM
1) I have been going since November-1971.
2) We bought into DVC in 1992 (sold it in 2002).
3) Thus, we have been going for quite some time.
4) We now own a house near Orlando, and 15-min from WDW.
5) We sometimes stay on-site when the kids-grandkids come down.
6) With this being said, we don't have to spend every minute in the parks.
7) So, we try to find ways to enjoy ourselves on non-park days.

NOTE: We would like to see Disney have better resort activities for non-park days. However, we know that Disney wants us in the parks for their revenue, so we understand and are not hopeful for resort activities.

MouseHouser
09-18-2007, 06:57 AM
We visit Disney most years, typically for a week, so we don't feel the need to squeeze in too much each time. We'll do 2 consecutive days at the parks followed by a day off. During the day off, in addition to relaxing at our resort, we often visit other resorts, possibly for a meal. Or instead, we might take in a water park for a half day.

On theme park days, we often circle back to the room mid-day for some r&r. So we do a morning park, followed by down time, and then an evening park for dinner and fireworks.

This is how we roll at the Dis.

luvdiznee
09-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Always a day or so at the Resort. Gotta relax. :cloud9:And especially staying at the Poly this upcoming. Gotta thoroughly enjoy it. :lei::papple:

prprincess
09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
If time allows, we definitely like to take a day and just relax at the resort. Only because we don't like to constantly be on the go, exhausted, and then needing to take a vacation from our vacation when we get home. And if we ever don't have the time to take that day, we simply book our flights to arrive in Orlando early enough to be able to spend that first day getting to know the resort.

tiaramom
09-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Heres is my dilema!
I really want to find some great down time away from the parks( dont get me wrong I totally love all the excitement) BUT>>
I really am looking for some great resort time. My problem is finding the perfect place to do that with a toddler( and not be bored).
I stayed at
Pop many times... love it
Coronado liked that too
and will be staying at POFQ in NOV.

I really want to know what is a great resort to spend the time at....
I like activities fro my daughter she is almost 3
and most of the DVC resorts are all saying 4
can I still bring her along with mommy and do some activies..
anyone know?
anyone have and suggestions out there?
Thanks alot!