PDA

View Full Version : Biergarten in Review

SBETigg
09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Biergarten visit, 8/19:

Family of four: Two adults, two teens

We’re delighted to arrive in the cool air-conditioned check-in area after a long hot walk from the monorail. The servers are all very pleasant (and blonde and attractive) in traditional Bavarian costume (more becoming for the women, do the men feel silly in Lederhosen?). They take our name, tell us it will be a few minutes. We’re indeed only waiting for a few minutes when they call our name to bring us to our table.

The restaurant is dark and cool with quaint atmosphere, like a Bavarian village at night. Our table is a table for eight and we expect to meet our tablemates soon. Our server, Marthy, takes the drink order and tells us we can start at the buffet any time.

The DD and I go first. We choose to sample the salads, macaroni salad, potato salad, tomato salad, cucumber salad, wurst salad (yes, hot dog salad- they can make a salad out of anything!), cold meats, kraut, assorted sausages, pretzel bread, and a potato soup.

When we get back to the table, we meet our tablemates, a family from Germany who have relocated to Orlando. They say they come to the Biergarten for the authentic food. They love it. Good to know. The DH and DS come back with loaded plates. Marthy comes with our drinks. The DH and I have opted for a sampler flight of German beers, all very interesting and tasty. Marthy describes them well and recommends an order for drinking, lighter to darker.

I sample everything on my plate. The bread is pretty good. The potato soup, excellent. Everything else, just okay. On next trip, I try the salmon, spatzle, and Pork Schnitzel with hunter’s sauce. The salmon’s decent. The pork is dry and chewy. It’s all rather filling and leaves me with slight stomach uneasiness, but I still manage to save room for dessert. I try the Black Forest Cake (yum) and apple strudel (thumbs up). Still, my favorite thing is the German beer and the atmosphere.

The band plays, adding to the fun. Kids get up and dance, so fun to watch! If you have restless little ones, this is a great place to go. If you want unique atmosphere and entertainment with dinner, again a good place to try. If you’re into sausage and heavy foods, you’ll love it. If you prefer fine dining and unique preparations, this isn’t for you.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: you might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

I give it a Not Bad: You might give it a try, mostly for the atmosphere, service, and overall experience. Our entire dinner took about an hour and a half from start to finish.

Spaceship Tigger
09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Nice review. Biergarten is one of our favorites for the atmosphere and the entertainment. The food is fine, but nothing elaborate. The beer and the music are the best parts. I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

January-2007
09-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We always go to the Biergarten and have always enjoyed it.

grego77
09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I'll be there Thurs night. Thanks for the review...can't wait to go! :mickey:

DDuck66
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks...we always try at least one new place and Biergarten is on our list for the October trip.

TheRustyScupper
09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
1) We like Biergarten for an evening meal.
2) I like German food.
3) But, it is heavy and feels like an anchor in the tummy.
4) It is best to eat and then relax watching Illuminations.
5) We also like the evening entertainment.

NOTE: We made a tactical error ONCE. We ate lunch there on a hot day. The afternoon walk in the sun and heat was a little uncomfortable.

Beast_fanatic
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Hubby has always wanted to try this, so we're finally doing so this October.

Thanks for the review!

Jared
09-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the review. Biergarten is one of the World Showcase restaurants my family has never wanted to try. After reading your impressions, my sentiments remain unchanged.

MsMin
09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
What a very pleasant review! I'm not a fan of sausage and I've eaten there once and that experience has lasted 25 years to date:D
I've considered giving it another try but your review suggests that not a lot has changed. Germany makes a great beer :beer:and I usually grab one outside.
I appreciate that you could be honest, discuss the highlights and your dislikes without being black and white (either love or hate it). What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things. Thanks for your input.

disneydrmr
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the review.. we were suppossed to have eaten here back in December on our trip but cancelled those ADR's..... I think next time though I will give it a whirl!

PirateLover
09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Great review! I find that with Biergarten it's best to just try everything. The name may sound weird and the food might even look odd but it's mostly pretty good! And I am one of the pickiest eaters I know... the pork was pretty juicy last time I was there. I remember because it was one of my favorites that time, but on the trip before it was dry as you described. I guess it all depends on whose in the kitchen.
I would probably go a 1/2 notch up on your scale (lol). I'd say it's worth it to try it once, if not just for the atmosphere and the pretzel bread:D