PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled trip-need an ear

LuckyMum22
09-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Our family was planning to be in WDW August 29-Sept 4. My mom died Tuesday August 28.
We cancelled the morning before she died. We bought the trip insurance and entire package through WD Travel Co. so we can file a claim as soon as we know how much $$ we are out...$200 from the resort and a few hundred in non-refundable plane tickets...all in all I think we just eat the cost of the insurance. The money is the smallest factor here. My mom was in a nursing home for at least a decade and my kids never really knew her well. She had dementia and hasn't really communicated for the last few years. The kids are bummed about WDW. We want to reschedule the trip and go soon. We had to cancel all our ADR's and there is no chance of getting free dining or even a seat in the restaurants we had chosen if we plan to go soon. My DD (age 13) doesn't want to miss school and her vote is to go in June. My son (age 8) is sooooo disappointed. After the viewing at the funeral home on Thursday evening, we all got in the car to drive back to the hotel in Pittsburgh and my husband said, (about the weather) "it's a nice night" and my son said "yeah, for fireworks." That would have been our first day in the Magic Kingdom.
I have thank you notes to write and bills to sort and **** to do but we haven't even begun to think about what to do about our trip. Everyone is dragging around with low faces...all for different and confusing reasons.
Just needed to vent...
I know you all get it here.

Not2Loud
09-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Can you do a quick long-weekend trip in Sept or Oct? I am sure the kids need something to look forward to.

kakn7294
09-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm so sorry about your mother. It's a shame you had to cancel your trip and I'm sure it's hard on the kids because they never had a chance to know your mother due to the dementia. Plus, it's one of those things kids just don't always get - they think the world revolves around them and it's hard for them sometimes to adjust when it doesn't. Maybe after a few weeks or so, when everyone's settled back in school and you get caught up on all those dreadful post-funeral tasks, you can start working on planning a new trip.

SandmanGStefani24
09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm so sorry about everything! I know that trip you missed must look so much more bright instead of dealing with the loss of a family member. I had to cancel my October vacation, so I know a little about what you're going through, but fortunately you bought the insurance, so you kept losses to a minimum, and you have the rest of your family to help out. I have started planning my next little trip, and that helped ease the sting of not going this time. Maybe after a little while you can do the same. Sending good thoughts your way, and hope it goes as well as can be.

Zippy 1
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
So sorry to hear about your lost. Losing a family member is a very tragic and heart wreching experience. I am sure the loss of your trip also adds to your sadness. At least you had the trip insurance. Hopefully you will be able to reschedule soon. I am sending lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie:

cheshirecollector
09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
:pixie: from someone who also has a family member with dementia.

tinksmom02
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

vizsla
09-04-2007, 05:17 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully you will be able to plan another trip in the near future.

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 06:41 AM
How terribly sad and frustrating for you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Not only does losing a loved one leave you sad, but having it happen so close to something that would have made you happy like your trip, just makes it worse.

I don't know if its an option, but what about a quick trip one long weekend to Disneyland? That can be done in a long weekend, and hopefully the kids wouldn't miss much, if any, school. It would help lift some spirits, plus get a little Disney fix.

Again, sorry for your loss. I work with patients with dementia all the time, and it is very difficult to have a relationship that you want with them, but that, by no means, makes losing them any easier.

Here's some :pixe: for you and your family, and hopes that you will find something so smile about soon.

Dsnygirl
09-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your mom - sending wishes your way that things will get brighter for you all soon. As far as your trip, I can totally understand - sending :pixie: that you'll be able to find a time that works well for everybody, and gives you something to look forward to. Good luck!!

Jeff
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
How sad and disappointing!:(

ChipnDaleGal
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. And I am sorry about the loss of a trip that your whole family was really looking forward too. I hope it will make your next trip even sweeter when you are able to reschedule. :pixie: for your sad hearts.