PDA

View Full Version : Any travelers with anxiety?

dinahvixen
09-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a small anxiety problem, that most often popping up when I am traveling, especially with other people. I also don't like air travel. With my anxiety, I get light-headed and have to make frequent trips to the bathroom, which, when I am with other people, tends to make me even more anxious! Anyone deal with mild anxiety issues when traveling? I don't want to have it interfere with my time at WDW since this is only the second time we've gone.

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I always worry about flying! Just feel like each time I'm tempting fate or something....

I know there's nothing I can do (except not fly in the first place!) but I still worry.

I just keep thinking positive thoughts!

Here's some pixie dust for you...

:pixie:

TammiMcMan
09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I have anxiety issues as well, they sort of cropped up recently. You may want to discuss medication with your doctor. There are some things that can be described that will simply take the edge off and sometimes it's just knowing that you have it available can help you past the episodes. I've found that listening to an I-Pod, or watching a DVD can also shift my focus away from the anxiety.

I know we're not all alike, but my anxiety tends to be worse right before we travel. I think it's probably the added stress of packing and just thinking about what could happen. Once I reach my destination, I tend to relax more and the anxiety just sort of drifts away.

Cozfamilyof6
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I also have anxiety issues - the episodes have come and gone for the last 15 years. It tends to get worse during stressful times and often thinking about it makes it worse. I have experienced the light headedness as well as the nervous stomach. And having to get to a bathroom all the time b/c you are nervous can make you even MORE nervous. Believe me, I know.

My dr. prescribed meds - and I just take it as needed. It makes me more relaxed, but not "out of it". And like the above post said, sometimes just knowing you have the meds available if you need it helps you feel calmer.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help from others, talking about your anxiety can lessen it as well.

disneyfan328
09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I too deal with anxiety issues. they were very bad for a certain period of time and my dr tried to put me on a daily medicine to combat them. Unfortunetly for me it didn't work. It actually made me worse as it made me sick to my stomach which all in all made everything worse. I tried for 2 weeks and just couldn't handle the stomach pain and sickness anymore. I actually found that (and I know this sounds silly) that talking myself out of it has helped. I try literally carring on a conversation with myself in my head and tell me that I will be ok. It also helps to tell others and have their support. If you keep it all to yourself and don't share your fears/anxiety with those that will be with you it may be even harder to deal with. All of this has helped me to not need to be on daily medicine. I do however have a script of pills that as above poster said can just take the edge off. I carry them with me always, but rarely need them. Just having them with me makes me feel better.

Now I will be flying for the first time in about 10 years on 9/22 and I have a feeling that I am going to need one. ( actually I usually just take 1/2 and I am good). I am trying not to get myself worked up about it, but really I am more worried about my 3 kids who haven't flown before. They are very nervous and to make sure that my nervousness/anxiety doesn't make them worse I will probably take one when we get to the airport.

In any event, your best bet is to discuss all of your issues with your Dr. and those you will be traveling with. It may ease everything that you are going through.

Good luck and lots of pixie dust to you:)

E-OR
09-04-2007, 09:36 AM
We have a 17 year old son, who over the last several years, has picked up an anxiety problem. He is especially afraid of flying, but knows that not making himself, will only make it worse. We leave in 1 1/2 weeks and it takes us most of a day to get to WDW. We have medication for him and we start giving it to him the night before or he won't sleep. It takes the edge off and makes his trip much more comfortable. We also bought a portable DVD player for him when they came out and with headphones on it is a bit distracting from what is going on around him. Talk to your doctor, and even if you don't use them, maybe have meds just in case.

vamaggie
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Besides medication, it may also be helpful to talk with a counselor/therapist for 2-3 sessions to help come up with some strategies to combat any anxiety you may have before/during your trip. Look for someone with background in brief cognitive therapies (PM me if you want more info) since they are trained to work with thoughts and how they affect your feelings/reactions. Good Luck!!!

offero
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I get the exact same way when flying. I try to fly to get over it BUT....
I think there is an armrest with my hand print in it circling the world as we speak. My doc gave me a small pill to for when i get nervous on a plane. they last about three hours and i could not have been in a better mood.

DisneyCouture
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
OMG! I totally understand what you are talking about. Ppl who don't have it do not understand. Everyone gets annoyed when they are traveling with me bc I have the same symptoms as you. I try not to eat any foods that too rich so I don't get nausea. I try to calm myself by breathing exercises and I bring some over the counter meds for stomach aches. Just so you know there is a place just beyond the Disney property that is a medical center just in case that makes you feel better knowing it is there.

I also hate flying. I try to take Dramamine for motion sickness and it makes you drowsy so you will sleep and be more relaxed. Hope this helps.

dinahvixen
09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone, it definitely helps to think that there are others doing the exact same thing as you, and yet everyone walks around Disney happy. Thanks for your advice!