PDA

View Full Version : How hot can it be at WDW in August? Sizzling is the right word! 8/25 to 8/30

Mom2princesses
09-02-2007, 10:13 PM
This is the first day of my trip report to read the rest use the links below.

Day 2 of the Trip Report - Breakfast at the CRT and the MK (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115034)
Day 3 Part 1 of the Trip Report - Animal Kingdom (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115293)
Day 3 Part 2 of the Trip Report - Hoop Dee Doo Review (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115505)
Day 4 - Epcot and Dinner with the Princesses at Norway (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=116328)
Day 5 - Our last day at WDW - The Magic Kingdom of course - part 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117494)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Well this is my very first trip report so I hope this turns out to be a good read for everyone. I’ll try my best. First of all let me introduce the cast. First, my dh he does not love Disney like I do but he does tolerate it for me and the girls. He prefers a nice relaxing vacation and as we all know Disney is not relaxing. Next is my 10 year old princess I’ll call her Ariel because that is her favorite princess. She was so excited to go this year and she actually controlled her tween attitude for a few weeks because I could use the trip as bribery! You better behave if you want to go to WDW. My younger princess who is 3 years old I will call Cindy for Cinderella. Her favorite princess. She just could not wait to meet the princess and see the Castle. This was going to be her very first trip to the “World”. She is my little Diva. Yep a real firecracker and she keeps mom on her toes. Finally there is me “mommy” I love WDW and get just as excited as my girls. I could not wait to see my little girl’s face the first time she gets to see the castle!

I started planning for this trip back in March. I decided to go the last week of August since I had to take off that week since my little one’s daycare was closed. It would be the best time to go since she will be going to another school starting on 9/5. So I made all the plans, read up on the boards and learned so many great ideas. I planned out what day we would spend in each park and made all my ADR’s.

I made up my packing list and had all my plans organized. We had an early flight on Saturday, August 25th. We were going to be on the 7:15 flight out of Newark Liberty Airport. Our plans for that day were to arrive early, pick up a rental car and drive directly to Universal studios. We would spend the day at Universal. Well the day before our flight I decided to check out flight information. To my surprise I noticed that we no longer had seat assignments. HUH? I called up frantic and spoke with a Continental Agent she told me that our travel agent had assigned us to the emergency exit seats. This would be fine but there was one big problem. You cannot sit in these seats if you have children. She assured me that we would be able to switch with someone else and that all would be well but we needed to do this at the airport. So we decided to leave even earlier to get the seats changed. Well, we got up at 3:30 AM to shower and then get the girls ready to leave the house by 4:30 AM. Our van came right on time and off we went to the airport. We arrived there before 5:00 AM and checked in curbside. We got through security fine after my 3 yo decided to scream because she had to take her shoes off. We ran to the gate to get our seats. By this time I was getting nervous. Would we get seats or would we have to wait for another flight? That would kill our plans for Universal and we had to get my little one there to see Barney. She loves Barney.

When we get to the gate NO ONE was there working. So we decided to get a quick breakfast. Finally a person arrived. He also reassured us that he would be able to switch our seats. Well, normally it would not be an issue. Most people want these seats. BUT this was a flight to Orlando. Most people on this flight had children. I was getting more nervous. They start to board the flight and still we didn’t have seats. I was getting upset we had booked this flight back in March. The flight was full. I was ready to go and kill the travel agent we used. I will never use them again by the way. Anyhow, they continued to board the plane. All rows were already called and we were still standing by the gate desk. Finally he called us up and said he had us covered there was one problem. We were not together. There were 2 seats together and the other 2 seats were separate. I was annoyed but talked to my older daughter and asked her if she was ok sitting by herself. I should have shown them all and had my 3 year old sitting by herself. That would have taught them a lesson! But I decided to spare the poor people who would have to sit next to her. My 10 year old was ok with sitting by herself but I kept on checking on her throughout the flight. Thankfully she was sitting next to a grandma and her granddaughter. My dh the lucky dog got to sit by himself while mommy got the pleasure of sitting with my 3 year old Diva! The flight was much smoother than the pre-flight craziness and we were off to MCO. We landed on time and got off the plane to get our luggage and rental car. We needed the car for two reasons. We would be spending a day at Universal and another day at Sea World. Also, we would be driving 2.5 hours south to visit my Aunt and Uncle who live in the West Palm area.

So off we go to Universal. It was already HOT and I knew this was going to be a long tiring day. Our next installment will be our day at Univeral followed by checking in to our WDW resort the Polynesian which is our favorite resort at WDW where we had dinner reservations for 7:10 at 'Ohana that evening.

Bethis26fan
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Glad everything worked out, can't wait to hear more.

SBETigg
09-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, nervewracking flight situation. I'm glad it worked out. Looking forward to more reports!

Mom2princesses
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Well we were off to Unriversal right after picking up our so called "FULL" sized car. So tell me when is a Toyota Corolla considered full sized? I'm use to driving a van so this car seemed pretty small to us. We barely fit in the trunk our 3 bags of luggage and the umbrella stroller.

We plugged in our GPS and we were off to see Barney at Universals. It was a very easy and quick ride there and we quickly parked the car and then headed off to begin our long trot from the parking lot to the parks. Sheesh this is a very long walk. We did it without a problem going into the park. I was wearing my crocs (maryjanes) and I thought I was all set. More on the Crocs later on but for now my feet felt great.

I had purchased both the Front of the Line Pass and our tickets online so we were able to skip the long line of people waiting to get tickets. It was around 11:00 AM when we arrived and I knew the crowds were well on their way at this point. We went directly in to the Studios since our top priority was to see that big purple dino Barney. Cindy just loves Barney and it was the main reason we wanted to spend a few hours at Universal. We only had a few hours but we would make the most of our time. When we got to Barney we had about a 20 min wait until the next show started so we let the girls play in the water play area next to Barney. They had a ball getting wet and it was so hot out that it was a great way to cool down. Here is a pic of the girls playing. (http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4PJ-0frj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQ QGexn0GxQnaxv8uOc5xQQQJJoaQnGlllqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSH qqy7XH6gXoQo%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442)
My little one also went into the Barney Play area and tried a few fun things to do until the show let out then it got crowded and crazy so we left to get some bottled water. First sticker shock it cost 11 bucks for 4 bottles of water. You have got to be kidding me? This kind of annoyed me because you need water. It is essential on hot days in August and for them to take advantage of people really ticked me off. But we needed the water so I brought it.

We used our FOTL pass and ended up getting front row seats. It was great. Here is a pic of Barney (http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0-0frj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQ QGexn0GxQnaxv8uOc5xQQQJJoaQnoQlaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSH qqy7XH6gXPnG%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442) on stage.

The show was pretty much the same as it was 8 years ago when we took my older daughter there to see him. She was two at the time. It is a very cute show and the kids really do love it. The only difference is that now you have to go outside of the show area to have a picture taken with Barney. They use to do it in the same area of the show and Barney would walk around and hug each child. My little Cindy just loved it and gave Barney a big hug. Too bad my dh missed that momment but he did get a picture of both my girls with Barney (http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0-0frj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQ QGexn0GxQnaxv8uOc5xQQQJJoaP0JlGlqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSH qqy7XH6gXPnl%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,332,442). It came out a bit dark but we did buy the picture that they took of the girls with him.

Off we went to see ET. My little Diva was not too sure about this ride but she is a tough cookie and she went on like a trooper. It was fun to see our old friend ET again. What a cute ride. Then it was my older daughters turn she wanted to go see Shrek 4-D. We got on immediately with the FOTL pass and watched the show. It was a great show and we all enjoyed it including my little Diva. The pre-show talk did take some good pokes at WDW and I found it funny. After the show, my little one wanted to have her picture taken with Shrek (http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0-0frj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQ QQJxJoax0enxQQQJJoa0enaJ0qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6 gXPnG%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,332,442) and so we waited in line only a few minutes to have it taken.

We then decided to head over to IOA since Ariel wanted to go on the HULK and do SpiderMan. So off we went. The sun was blazing now and it was a very long walk over to IOA. She went on the Hulk and she loved it. Next up was SpiderMan and she went on it with Daddy since my little one was fast asleep. I kept putting water on her head and face to try to keep her cool. There were not many shady area's in Universal or IOA. They both loved spiderman and I was a bit sad that I didn't get a chance to ride it. But that gives me a reason to go back next time. We didn't have too much time left because we wanted to head back to the Poly to check in and then freshen up before our dinner reservations at 'Ohana at 7:00. Before we left, I picked a family of 4 just like us and gave them or FOTL passes. Only one ride initialed our pass and that was Shrek. I figured someone should use them since we paid for them and had to leave. It did come in handy and we were able to get on rides pretty quickly. They thanked us and we left. We were going to stop by a store for water and other snack items but decided to go straight to the hotel since we were exhausted and extremely hot. The walk back to our car seemed never ending mostly due to the heat. Wow we have 90+ days here in Jersey but that Florida sun is just so much hotter. Once we got back to our car I quickly turned on the AC to cool it down. We will definitely come back next time but I would want to do it for a full day and a half. My older daughter can't wait to see the Harry Potter land. So we'll be back for sure.

We turned on our GPS and headed to the Polynesian. Disney World here we come!

Mom2princesses
09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Glad everything worked out, can't wait to hear more.

Thanks! Yes it was a bit scary for a while. Thanks for stopping by and reading my trip report! I just posted an update today. Hope you enjoy it. I have included links to pics.

Mom2princesses
09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh, nervewracking flight situation. I'm glad it worked out. Looking forward to more reports!

Thanks and yes nervewracking is the proper term! LOL But we survived and went on to have a great trip. I just posted an update on this thread. Tried to update the title but it doesn't seem to work. Guess after day 1 I will post my updates to new threads. Hope you enjoy the newest installment.

Mom2princesses
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
duplicate post deleted.

princessgirls
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the report!

A wonderful first day, in spite of the seating problems on the plane.

Julie:mickey:

January-2007
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the trip report. :mickey:

cal5755
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I am enjoying your trip report and love the pics you are sharing!! Kudos to you for finding a family to use your passes!! That was way cool!!:thumbsup:

iheartmickey
09-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Sounds like you got off to a rocky start but the day turned out ok after that! :mickey:

Can't wait to read the rest of your reports! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Glad your flight down ended up being okay. Sounds like you had fun at Universal. Your daughters are very cute! Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

Mom2princesses
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Chapter 3 – still Day 1 – Checking into the Poly and Dinner at ‘Ohana

We were all so tired and exhausted from the heat. We got to the Poly pretty quickly and parked the car. I was a little bit worried since I had read some recent stories about people being unhappy with the Poly. But as soon as I walked into the GCH I was “home”. The cool air and the running water in the lobby immediately started to relax me. My girls had to go to bathroom so I took them and my dh checked us in while we went. There was no line since it was around 5:00 pm. He got our room it was in Ratonga which is right next to the GCH. That was very convienent for us. Our room number was 3810. We found out that the 3 stands for the floor. The 8 is the building number and 10 is the room number. We got our red lei’s and me and the girls headed off to our room while dh went with bell services to get our luggage. All the CM’s were extremely friendly and helpful. We got a lot of aloha’s! Cindy was still willing to go to the potty! You see this trip would be a test. She has been potty trained for a while but I was a bit anxious about how we would prevail while waiting on lines for rides. She did develop a phobia. She was afraid of the automatic flushing toilets. Ugh! She would refuse to go even though I knew she really had to go badly. She developed some really strong kidneys! Thank goodness some bathrooms did not have the auto flushing toilets. Did anyone else’s kids have problems with this or am I just blessed to have such an unusual little Diva? I was proud of her she did not have a single accident! I think this was helped by the fact that I always had spare clothes for her with us at all times! Kind of like having an umbrella and then it never rains!

The girls and I got to the room first and we all just loved it! Here are some pictures of our room.

My little Diva testing out the beds (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0108.jpg)! They were so comfortable. We got the bed rails for my little one and they worked out great. You just have to request them at check in.

Both my girls on "their bed" (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0106.jpg)

My older daughter checking out the new flat screened TV. (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0107.jpg)

Here is the coffee pot area (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0114.jpg)surrounded by two closets. Under the coffee pot is the fridge. Another hint. Make sure you leave the doors open a bit for ventilation in order for the fridge to cool properly.

My little Diva liked the bathroom (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0112.jpg) in the room. Thank goodness!

Finally the view from our Garden view room. This is what you saw looking to the left (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0110.jpg).

This is the view looking straight ahead (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Mom2princesses_2007/Disney%20August%202007%20Trip/IMG_0109.jpg)... You can see parts of the "quiet pool"

We all freshened up for dinner and then headed off to ‘Ohana for a nice dinner. It started to rain really hard at around 5:30 – 6:00 but we only had to step outside for a few seconds in order to get to the GCH. Little did we know this rain was an omen of what would occur later on during our trip. It was more than just a shower it lasted for several hours. ‘Ohana was packed we had to wait over 30 mins for our reservation and my dh had to go up to the podium and ask what was taking so long. We were called 2 mins after he inquired. So a lesson learned here when going to ‘Ohana make sure you check back if you are not called in a reasonable amount of time. They are very busy and I think sometimes they misplace or over look check-in’s. We were all starving and Mommy and Daddy needed a drink! I had a lava colada it was so yummy and daddy had a beer. Yeah he is not too adventurous when it comes to drinking! He is definitely a beer guy! We ordered chicken fingers for my 3 year old and she was happy with it. First they brought over the salad it was so yummy. I loved the dressing on it. Then came the appetizers and my favorites were the potatoes and the wings. The veggies were good too! I would have been perfectly happy with the just the appetizers but then came the skewers of meet. My favorite was the Turkey! Yum!

My little Diva got ice cream her absolute favorite and the rest of us had the delicious bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and banana foster sauce. OMG this was outstanding so with full and happy tummy’s we went back to our rooms to get to bed so that we would be ready for our big day at the MK tomorrow. We had breakfast reservations at the Castle at 8:00 am. My little Diva was so looking forward to seeing Cinderella and her Castle. Daddy gave Cindy a bath and my older daughter showered while I went out to find a local grocery store to pick up snacks, bottled water and cans of diet Pepsi. I love my Pepsi! It was hard because it was still pooring outside and now it was dark. I finally found a small market in Orlando. The strange thing was that just a few minutes away it was not raining all that hard but as soon as I got back to WDW it was pooring once again. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

My feet did not do too well today. I had a blister under one of my toes and on top of one of my toes it rubbed so hard I was bleeding. No more crocs for me for a day or so. I think the problem was the heat. What I figured out later was that wearing them with socks helped a lot. If I did that from the beginning I think I would have been fine. I ended up wearing them with the short socks that only go up to your ankle area. I didn’t look fashionable but the combination worked!

Mom2princesses
09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the report!

A wonderful first day, in spite of the seating problems on the plane.

Julie:mickey:
Thanks Julie, I hope it gives some useful information. Yes we did have a great first day. We were tired and hot but that is what you would expect from Florida in August. We did have fun at Universal. But I was really glad to be back home in WDW.

Mom2princesses
09-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the trip report. :mickey:

You're welcome. I hope it helps others with some useful information. I always enjoyed reading other people's trip reports. So now it is my turn to help out! :)

Mom2princesses
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
YAY! I finally figured out how to multiquote.

I am enjoying your trip report and love the pics you are sharing!! Kudos to you for finding a family to use your passes!! That was way cool!!:thumbsup:

It really felt like the right thing to do. There were several more hours left to use them so why let them go to waste. I was happy to help some one out. Hope they enjoyed them.

Sounds like you got off to a rocky start but the day turned out ok after that! :mickey:

Yes we ended up having a fun filled day. They girls were so excited and happy that we were finally in Orlando. Of course they could not wait to go to the MK.

Can't wait to read the rest of your reports! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Just added another chapter in this thread. I will probably start a new thread for day 2 and so on.... Hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by and saying hello too!

Glad your flight down ended up being okay. Sounds like you had fun at Universal. Your daughters are very cute! Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

They are cute but just look closely at the little impish smile of my little Diva! You can see the mischief coming through. But I love them both so very much and wouldn't want to change either one!

Mom2princesses
09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Day 2 Magic Kingdom and breakfast with Cinderella! (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115034)

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

faline
09-10-2007, 08:40 AM
For you pics, I would guess that we stayed pretty close to the same area in the Poly. We loved to sit on our balcony at night and watch folks wander by. Glad you're all settled in - particularly after your stressful travel!

pdrlkr
09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Mom2princesses
09-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for sharing your report.

I am glad you stopped by to read it!

For you pics, I would guess that we stayed pretty close to the same area in the Poly. We loved to sit on our balcony at night and watch folks wander by. Glad you're all settled in - particularly after your stressful travel!

We loved our location as well! Welcome to my trip report and I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the report! :smickey:
Hi there and welcome! I hope you enjoy the rest of the report.