PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose lunch

septembergirl
09-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Any tips for a healthy/low cal lunch entree at Mama Melrose? I am 1/3 of the way to my weight loss goal and I am going to try not to blow it completely on our upcoming trip!:thumbsup: Any thoughts from someone who's been there, done that would be appreciated.

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss! I recently lost a good bit of weight and I know what a great accomplishment it is.

Mama Melrose has such an extensive lunch menu, it shouldn't be hard to find something that fits into your diet. Here are a few suggestions:

I would definitely start with a salad. Eating a small salad before a meal helps you feel fuller and therefore not as apt to overeat during the rest of your meal. I would go with the Mixed Greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette and Gorgonzola Cheese (a little cheese is a great source of protein and calcium and also helps satisfy you) or ask for a small garden salad. The Mozzarella and Tomatoes
with Marinated Sweet Onions, Balsamic Drizzle, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and fresh Sweet Basil or Vegetarian Minestrone with Ditalini Pasta are also healthy choices.

For your main course, the Wood-grilled Tuna
basted with a Sun-dried Tomato Pesto on Grilled Asparagus, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash with a light Tomato Broth sounds very healthy to me. Also, the Spaghetti Fra Diavolo
with Clams and Mussels tossed in a spicy Marinara Sauce is probably fine too.

I would consider splitting the entree in half if it's very big and saving half for later if you have an in-room fridge. Restaurants always give you so much food, and remember, it's not just what you eat but how much!

Another option would be to get the salad and soup for your lunch and not order a separate entree. You could always have a bite or two of your lunch partner's entree -- or even a few bites of dessert! (There's also a Fruit Cup that would finish off a light lunch perfectly.)

I'm all about moderation and not depriving myself! Sometimes a taste of something fabulous is better than a heaping serving of something so-so.

Enjoy!

septembergirl
09-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm all about moderation and not depriving myself! Sometimes a taste of something fabulous is better than a heaping serving of something so-so.

Enjoy!

I agree :thumbsup:! Thanks for your thoughts and tips!

LudwigVonDrake
09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Good Luck with your weight loss goal :thumbsup:

I had dinner at Mama Melrose's in July and it was VERY good :tasty: though I'm sure the Chicken Parmigiana did NOTHING for my girlish figure :laughing:

disneymom2000
09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I essentially agree with mousetrapper. I would try the Mozzarella & Tomatoes or the green salad to start with. I don't know how you feel about eggplant but the Eggplant Napoleon is good as well as the Tuna. It won't even feel like low-cal because everything is so well prepared and tasty.

Checkers
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
:mickey:I would agree with the salad choice. I am also one who watches her weight (but don't want to be totally deprived) and my DH & I usually get the mixed green salad and then split a small 3-cheese brick fired pizza. We get 2 small pieces each (at least that's all I eat). Makes for a very nice lunch. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Darbylew
09-02-2007, 07:37 PM
We love Mama Melrose for pizza but I am sure
that they also have salads. It is a great place to
eat. It seems like everytime I go to Disney I
gain a little weight but I do eat what I want
while I am there. I keep telling myself I am on
vacation. :D

DessertDivaFL
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to one day be stating that myself.

Everywhere I go to eat I load up on vegetables so my suggestion would be to order a thin crust veggie pizza if you are tired of salads. After a few salads I want something different. You can always ask them to go light on the cheese and that would be quite healthy. Just my tip!

septembergirl
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
After a few salads I want something different.

Yes. I am getting a little tired of salads. I have come up with many combos but there's only so much you can do with a salad and keep it low cal and healthy! I am really looking forward to Mama Melrose and the free dining!