PDA

View Full Version : Which airlines give "credits" for later fare reductions?

Tink&Goofy
09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I've heard that Southwest will give credit vouchers should the tickets you purchased are later at a lower rate. What other airlines do this? Do they charge a change fee? Do they all have to be used within a year?
I am looking at fares for next spring break - and man are they high! However, it IS spring break (and Easter). I want to ensure that we get tickets - and don't feel like spending 600 - 700 a ticket! We are looking at Delta. Does anyone know if Delta will credit the difference if their fares reduce/go on sale??

Polynesian fan
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I just got a $240.00 credit on JetBlue. It is good for one year but we seem to go to DW two or three times a year. Their site says it is a $45.00 charge, but when i did the math we got the whole difference between what we paid and what the flight went down to.

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
We received a credit from Southwest one year for more than $200. We didn't even know about it, they just automatically gave us the credit when the fares went down.

We let it go to waste, however, because we didn't realize you must use the credits within one year. That is, you must apply the credit toward travel that you will take within one year.

I'm going to be more diligent next time. And even though I know SWA gave us the credit automatically last time, I'm keeping my eye on the fares and if I see lower fares, I'm going to call SWA to see if I'm eligible for credit.

Not holding my breath though...we're traveling during Thanksgiving week (first time ever) and I feel like we're getting gouged!!!

ouch.:(

chick20679
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I used to work for Delta, and they will not simply give you a 'credit' if fares decrease, as far as I know. What you would need to do would be cancel your current flights and get a 'credit' for them (LESS THE CHANGE FEES) and then rebook for the new (cheaper) flights using the credit as payment. Not all fares are available for this 'cancellation/credit' scenario however, so read the fare rules carefully before you buy your tickets if you plan on trying to do this. Bulk tickets and tickets purchased through a third party (such as travel websites), for example, are NOT eligible.
So, you would need to buy your ticket directly from Delta in a certain fare category and then fares would have to decrease by more than the $75 change fee, to make it worth your while.

wdwnomad
09-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I got credit twice from AirTran this year after my tickets went down in price. The first time, when the price went from $99 to $69, they gave me the credit minus a $5 fee/ticket for calling and speaking with an agent. After the price went down again from $69 to $49 I called and got another credit. This time they didn't charge the $5 fee. I am not sure if it was because they already charged it the first time or if they forgot.