PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian meals?

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 12:14 PM
My DD is a vegetarian. Looking at most of the menus for our ADR restaurants, there seem to be meatless choices. However, we're eating at 'Ohana our first night. We've eaten there before and I know they bring huge skewers of meat and shrimp to you table. There doesn't appear to be any vegetarian entree choices.

I know I've seen this discussed here before, but I don't recall what people recommend. Should I call Disney Dining ahead of time to let them know my DD is a vegetarian, or wait until we get to the restaurant and either work with what's on the menu or make a special request at the time?

Thanks for any advice.

Bluesky481
09-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I have not eaten at 'Ohana, but have been a vegetarian my entire life (born and raised)!:D It has been my experience with any restaurant (Disney or beyond) that making dietary requests in advance ensures the cooks will have the proper ingredients on-hand for a spectacular vegetarian meal rather than waiting until you get there to request a dish. (Your DH would still be able to get a vegetarian option, but may or may not be as delectable).

Also, be sure to specify what type of vegetarian your DH is when making this request. Some vegetarians don't eat dariy/eggs/poultry/fish. If your husband consumes any of these products, let them know which ones so they have the option of incorporating them into his meal.
I hope this helps!

omearac
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm a vegetarian and we eat at O'Hana every time we go because my DH & DS love it ;). They do have a tofu meal with no dairy in it. It's a breaded tofu with noodles and vegetables and they bring a spicy hot sauce on the side.

I wish I could say it was a fabulous meal, but that is not really true. It is ok, though. The tofu just has a funny taste, but the rest is very tasty. I've eaten it twice and will not order it this time. I'll ask if there is another option.

They do bring DD a grilled cheese sandwich that looks good and the appetizers offer several choices for vegetarians:

Salad
Scalloped potatos
Stir fried veggies
Chips with peanut sauce & a yummy red pepper sauce. They also bring a pretty good herb sauce for the chips.
Dessert (awesome banana fosters)

A vegetarian will certainly NOT go hungry at O'Hana.

Overall my experience there as a vegetarian has been wonderful and a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

LauraF
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
The one and only time I went to O'hana's there was no veggie entree, but that was many years ago and times have changed.

I HIGHLY recommend letting Disney know in advance your menu preferences. I did for my last trip and it made such a huge difference in the options I was presented with. No more side dishes - now I can go with my BF to steakhouses and enjoy my meal as much as he enjoys his! :mickey:

Jared
09-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure why you would bring a vegetarian to 'Ohana. It's possibly my favorite restaurant in Walt Disney World, but it is definitely geared for carnivores.

Unless the rest of your party loves 'Ohana, I think your daughter would be better suited elsewhere.

If you decide to try 'Ohana anyway, definitely tell Disney about your dietary concerns. The chef will make special arrangements for your daughter, even if the dish isn't technically on the menu.

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes, we all love 'Ohana's, including our DD who is a vegetarian. For us, dining is about more than just the food!