PDA

View Full Version : STILL cant decide

EmmMOM2
09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I still cant decide where to stay everyones favorites are different. So here are the things im looking for what hotel do you think would fit these requirements the best. We are looking at deluxe or moderate resorts, not value. I am looking for good transportation, i dont want a long trip to MK since that will be the park most frequented by us with 2 little ones. I would like a decent size cafeteria and perhaps yummy restaurants in the resort as well. I would also like a resort that has a playground for downtime...not sure if they all have one or not.
Any help would be great!! :)
You can look below to see where we've stayed before, though i wouldn't mind trying something new either. My kids will be 16 months and 4 1/2 at the time of the trip.
Thanks

brianlw71
09-01-2007, 06:45 PM
The Contemporary is about as close as you can get to the Magic Kingdom. A 5-10 minute walk or use of the monorail. Everyone complains about the theming, but it really is an all time classic resort.

Vintage Disney
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian, and Wilderness Lodge are all convenient to MK. Last year I noticed a lot of families around the pool at Wilderness Lodge (and we were there in Nov/Dec). You can also watch the Electric Water Pageant at night from any of these resorts.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
09-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I like the Poly and the GF for: their proximity to the MK; the ability to simply roll our double stroller on and off the monorail; the great themeing; the number of restaurants and character meals (especially at the GF); the great kids clubs and pools; the water pagent, and the ability to see Wishes either from a balcony or the beach. My preschoolers loved both of these. They weren't that intrigued by the CR since it looked much like a modern hotel.

wdw_bound
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
We're Wilderness Lodge fans.There is a playground on the beach. The Cub's Den has great free crafts for the kids in the afternoons - could come in very handy if your older kiddo is not interested in napping but still needs some quiet time.

While some here complain about transportation, we had no problem last fall. The boat to and from MK is perfect. Because DS2 loves boats, we ended up doing the boat to MK and then the monorail to Epcot.

Roaring Forks is good - not a huge place, but adequate in size with some healthy selections. We made our orders to go several times and ate poolside or at the beach watching EWP. Whispering Canyon is yummy, and you are a short boatride away from Chef Mickey's.

Another neat feature is that the Mercantile stocks some grocery items, so we were able to keep juice and milk and cheese in our room fridge.

THe theming and service at WL are great, and for our family the fact that you are not spread out is very important. We loved it so much we are going back in December.:thumbsup:

katzctkpt
09-02-2007, 12:53 AM
We love POR. It does have a small playground by the Ole Man Pool. The ride to MK is the furtherest from this resort but, I never thought it was a bad ride. This resort has a lot of shaded winding walkways and is very peaceful. I just like walking around in the morning and even at night. We always been in June July & Aug and crowds hasn't been an issue with us at the resort, now the parks a different story.
The restaurant and the food court we love. Especially breakfast at Boatwrights. The sweet potato pancakes yummy!!! My kids love the french toast. Also, you can catch the boat and ride to downtown disney. It's about a 20 min ride. Have fun making a choice and enjoy your trip.

TammiMcMan
09-02-2007, 01:59 AM
There are only two resorts that fit all your specifications. The first is the Contemporary. It has a playground, you can't get any closer to the MK, nice selection of restaurants and fast food and a garden wing, standard view room won't break the bank. You get a lot for a pretty good nightly rate.

The second is the WL. It has a playground, boat or bus service to the MK, good restaurants as described by wdw_bound and it's another deluxe option that offers a good value.

Someplace else, which I think comes in a close third, are the Fort Wilderness cabins. Now there's someplace that offers a lot of room to run around. In addition, there are nightly campfire sing-a-longs/movie with Chip & Dale, hayrides, playground, deer, bunnies, petting farm animals, bike riding and a sandy beach. They're comporable in price to a garden wing room at the Contemporary, but the cabin gives you a separate bedroom with a full sized bed and bunk beds, plus a living room, full kitchen and outside deck. Nice for mom & dad to be able to relax, watch tv and have a glass of wine, while the kids are sleeping in the bedroom. The Trailside Buffeteria is one of the best kept secrets in terms of restaurants at Disney. There's also the Trading Post if you want to pick up a few things to have in your cabin. With daily housekeeping, it's hardly what I would call "roughing" it. Another nice feature, is that you can park your car right outside the door of your cabin. Like the WL, they offer boat or bus service to the MK and views of Wishes and the Electric Water Parade from the beach.

mrsgaribaldi
09-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I would say the Poly since it's my favorite resort. I didn't like the food court at the Contemporary in Nov but I think it may have been redone. It was terrible in Nov. The Poly was nice, it had just been redone:mickey:

vamaggie
09-02-2007, 08:16 AM
We have only stayed at the WL for our 2 previous trips and LOVED it. (last time kids were 7 & 18 mos; 1st time DS was 4) The resort is beautiful, the rooms are good sized and the pool is fun.We liked that you could roll the stroller onto the boat to MK and not have to deal with the bus. IT was also nice that when DD went tobed, DS & DH could "explore" the resort and watch the EWP or take the boat to MK to watch the fireworks. We are staying at Poly for our next trip in Nov and are hoping we love it as much as WL.

#1donaldfan
09-02-2007, 08:51 AM
looks like your still getting a mixed reviews....so I'll just give my 2 cents.......POR AB is our favorite. The food court has never been very busy and is quite large. Boatwrights restaurant is very, very good...especially breakfast. There is a playgroung and numerous swimming pools to choose from...the MAIN reason we always choose this one is the laid back, shaded, relaxing atmosphere we have always encounterd there....you've been there before and you have probably seen this too.....this is all just IMHO....have fun picking.....

LudwigVonDrake
09-02-2007, 10:27 AM
My favorite is the Polynesian :tikki: :lei: :lei: :tikki:

FalconeNJ
09-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I love the Wilderness Lodge plus the transportation to the Magic Kingdom is a short boat ride. Maybe not as quick as the monorail but its not more then a few more minutes.

Beach Club Babe
09-02-2007, 11:32 AM
My vote would be the Polynesian.

TheMartellFamily
09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
For your requests I would say the Poly. Everything you are requesting is found here.

TammiMcMan
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
For your requests I would say the Poly. Everything you are requesting is found here.I didn't think the Poly had a childrens playground though. I'll have to double check that.

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I would vote for Contemporary or Poly since you want to be close to MK (and with little ones that makes total sense).

As another poster commented, Contemporary is a classic resort with such a wonderful Disney feel! So "Wonderful World of Disney" and I think the little ones will love how bright and open it is inside (Poly is a little on the dark side and maybe the theming appeals more to older kids and adults)...plus there's Chef MIckey's!!!

Kairi_7378
09-02-2007, 02:05 PM
If I were going Deluxe I'd do the Contemporary or WL. (Leaning towards WL because of restaurants but you can't get closer to MK than the CR! I bet the kids would like the monorail!)
If I were going to go Moderate I would do POR/POFQ because they are so centrally located to the parks.

sheepishlambert
09-02-2007, 08:11 PM
:cloud9:I would select either the poly or wilderness lodge. The boat trips are like having another ride! Great food at both and my kids
really enjoyed playing on the beach and watching the electrical parade that is on the water at night. The WL is a little less expensive if that is a concern. Poly has the monorail and WL doesn't so transportation is faster with the poly. Have a great trip!