PDA

View Full Version : SBETigg’s Wrapped in Magic Grand Vacation Overview

SBETigg
09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Dates: August 19- 29.
Grand Floridian, MK View: Boca Chica 8507

Cast:
Sherri: AKA SBETigg, 38, longtime WDW fan.
Sean: The DH, 42, desperate for a vacation.
The DS: 16, still willing to be seen with parents at WDW.
The DD: AKA SunshinePiglet, 14, shares love of all things Disney.

We had an amazing eleven days of vacation and I have nothing but respect, admiration, and sincere thanks for the Disney cast members who helped make it such a magical vacation.

The August heat was oppressive and really slowed us down, but didn’t stop us or impede our good time. Rain was minimal. Storms were not unwelcome when they finally came. My new summer vacation advice is to plan to take it slow(which could mean booking more days than planned), avoid EMH parks (too crowded, for the most part), do just a few attractions in morning/afternoon hours and more attractions at night, take advantage of afternoon breaks and resort pools, do special parties when offered, make the most of all air-conditioning and air-conditioned attractions, and to plan in advance but allow for spontaneity.

The best laid plans can go awry and indeed, we didn’t accomplish quite everything we planned due to the heat. We did hit all our favorite attractions and must-see attractions at all the parks, plus made time for some new things and extras, like water parks and DisneyQuest. We didn’t manage to use the SeaRaycer boats, parasail, or play minigolf as we thought we might do in our spare time. We did enjoy our resort and extra time at the resort, more than we even imagined we would.

Crowds were manageable, for the most part, though I can’t say it wasn’t crowded (especially in the MK, and EMH parks). People can be extremely annoying, but what can you do but shrug off bad behavior? People can also be inspiring and delightful, so there’s hope.

Having the major expenses (room, meals on Dining Plan) paid off in advance certainly reduced our stress levels and the dining plan saved us an incredible amount of money. Our meals were almost all wonderful, save one or two, and we have determined that we’re all for the signature dining in the future. Our signature dining meals were just that much better than most of our regular TS meals. Dining reviews to be posted include: Biergarten, San Angel Inn, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Raglan Road, Rose & Crown, Kona Café, Narcoossee’s, Boma, Le Cellier and a very special anniversary dinner for two at the California Grill. Also, CS reviews: Gasparilla Grill, Casey’s, Pecos Bill Café, Columbia Harbour House, Kringla Bakeri og Café(Norway), Yakitori House, Boulangerie Patisserie (France), Tangierine Café, Yorkshire County Fish & Chips(UK), Rose & Crown Pub, Lotus Blossom(China), and Flametree Barbecue (AK).

My children are teenagers and the comfort of knowing they could get around WDW without parental supervision added to our good time. The transportation system worked well for us, though it is wise to plan an hour to get to almost anywhere (with the exception of the MK when staying at a monorail hotel or Epcot when staying in walking distance). With teen kids, we had the best of both worlds at WDW- quality family time when we wanted it, and time apart when we needed it. It is an amazing family vacation destination.

In the end, the length of vacation was satisfying and felt like a long time away from it all but I still cried like a baby upon leaving the Grand Floridian and I’m now scheming for a way to get back sooner than expected (which could be awhile, considering the high cost of staying at the GF, the fact that the kids will soon be going off to college, and the fact that the DH and I agree that we need to see more of the world before heading back to WDW). The vacation will go down in our family history as a very special time at WDW, and one of the best anniversaries (17 years!) I have ever shared with the DH.

All in all, it was the perfect family vacation and will live in my heart as the best of times with my beloveds, away from all hassles and real world difficulties. You just can't beat WDW.

Next: Day One (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114620)

Lizzie
09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a great time. Can't wait to read the reports.

January-2007
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Yay! You're home (well, I guess that isn't great for you!) to share your wonderful memories with us! Can't wait for all your trip reports and dining reviews! Thanks for the first installment! :mickey:

Caroleh
09-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Can't wait to read all about your trip, Sherri!!! Sounds like you had a great time.

faline
09-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Welcome back! The summary of your trip has we waiting to hear more details! Sounds like it was a delightful trip!

BriarRose0708
09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for shring your thoughts Sherri, sounds like it was a great trip!

iheartmickey
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm glad it was a memorable trip! It sounds like it!

I can't wait to read some of those dining reviews! YUMMY!

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
09-02-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm glad you had a wonderful time! I can't wait to read the full reports!

Beach Club Babe
09-02-2007, 10:11 AM
It sonds like you had a truly magical vacation with memories that will last forever! Great overview!

RedSoxFan
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. I look forward to reading your trip reports.:mickey:

gueli
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the advice & overview. Very informative & a nice slice of WDW
:mickey:
I am glad you had such a nice time.

KylesMom
09-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm so glad you had a wonderful time, Sherri. I can't wait to read your reports! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Just reading that overview of your wonderful vacation made me emotional for you. I can tell that you loved every minute of the time you spent with your husband and kids. I am glad that you made so many special memories that you will hold onto for a lifetime. Can't get any better than that. :mickey:

DizNee143
09-06-2007, 10:01 AM
what just reading the review was great...i cant wait to actually read about each induivdual day!! sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time!! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
09-17-2007, 04:07 AM
:mickey: I am so glad to hear your trip was such a success -- it sounds like you and your family truly had a wonderful time together (and apart!) Thanks so much for sharing it all with us - I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports!! :)

disneykidsince1970
09-17-2007, 05:39 AM
I must tell you how much I've enjoyed these reports - I just printed them all and took them to the little medical room where I am pumping 2x/day (I am just back from maternity leave) and these do a great job of relaxing me so that I can maximize production (sorry if a little TMI for some of you!)

anyway - great reading and great reports! Good luck with the book - can you PM me with the title?

Thanks again for a lovely 20 minute vacation!