PDA

View Full Version : BFF Birthday Bash Weekend - Day 1 pt1

chechas
09-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Cast:
Me (36),Nikki (40)

When:
Friday Aug 31

We hit the road to Disney around 9:45 am. Traffic was clear through Tampa and on I-4 to Disney so we made great time! We arrived at Boardwalk Inn at 11:15am

At check in the CM saw the note on the ressie about Nikki's 40th birthday and gave her a birthday pin with her name on it to wear - LOL!. Nikki was surprised as she had no idea I had tipped Disney off about her turning 40. Turned out that our room was ready...room 3263....we had a view of the courtyard between the BWI and the BW villas and the boat launch and could look across the water to the BC/YC. The room was very cute but a couple of observations.....while there is a "day bed" it is very short so really only a child could sleep on it. Also the bacony was very small with one chair and a tiny table.....really could not have 2 people sitting out there at a time as the door is not a slider, it opens out so you could take one of the chairs from inside the room and put it in the open doorway to have someone else sit out there I suppose. And I am spoiled by the large flat panel at the Poly and was chuckling at the little 19" TV tucjed into the armoire. But the room was plenty big enough for the two of us with good drawer space.

We got our luggage delivered and unpacked then decided to take a walk on the Boardwalk....not the most obvious spot to get to. we took the elevator tot he 1st floor ( the lobby is on the 2nd floor)..but when you get off the lobby if you go right it just takes you through the hotel and past a bunch of rooms, we did not find any exit after a little walking so we turned to go the other way and finally got outside...but that only lead to the "quiet" pool and the cottages...very cute by the way. So back inside and up to 3nd floor we went. There is an elevator and stairs by the Bellvue Lounge that leads to 1st floor and Boardwalk.
Once outside we decided to get a drink and maybe a small bite as we had tea coming up and went to the Spoodles pizza window for a slice and a cup of sangrai. OMG that sangria was delicious!!!! Will definitely hit that window again...and it was a nice sized cup also for $6.95. As we all know pizza at Disney is not the best but this wasn;t that bad...not wonderful put pretty good, or maybe I was just really hungry LOL. We sat at one of the outside tables to relax and eat. It started to drizzle a little so we got up and went into the candy store to look around. They have a center display of loss individually wrapped candy and these cute metal tins....the sign had prices for 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb but no price for the tins so at $11+ for a pound, we thought the tin was included as we did not see the bags. We picked out our favorites and went to pay...just shy of a pound and then they tacked on $3 for the tin!! So be aware that cute litle tin is $3 - so $14+ later LOL.

We went back to the room and relaxed and refreshed for tea at 3:20. It started pouring rain, thunder and lightening the whole nine for about an hour.

I must say here that while the BWI in beautiful and very well themed - the music started to get on our last nerves. Everywhere it is that barbershop, dueling piano, 1920s (hard to explain but thing (think Great Gatsby mixed with a touch of Mary Poppins) annoying music. LOL it was cute at first but then laying in the room trying to relax and read and listening to it come in from outside was driving us nuts. LOL!I

We decided to drive over to GF and we got there around 3pm. Everyone was very friendly and speaking to us and wishing Nikki happy birthday (she forgot she was wearing the bday pin). We got the the Garden View Lounge a little early but they seated us right away by the window.

Great experience! First they bring out what they call the "tea box" which has little bottles with stoppers filled with the dry tea leaves and spices of each of thier teas for you to smell and decide which you want to try. Niiki chose Eros (which smelled like an orange dreamcicle) and I picked Nobo Wholefruit (which smelled like spiced apples and berries)Then you pick which if any Tea Lunches you want.

Nikki chose the Prince Edwards Tea - 1st course was assorted pates(about 5), and English Blue Stilton, the "King" of English cheeses, served with marinated fresh berries, and Cumberland sauce. Next was 2 white raisin scones served with rich Devonshire cream and strawberry preserves. All served with her choice of with a glass of our Fonseca Bin 27 Character Port. $21.00. I chose the Grand Tea - 1st course was tea sandwiches(cucumber with watercress, shrimp salad with dill, chicken salad with almonds, grilled pear with gorgonzola, and egg salad, each on a different bread.), small round of duck pate, and a small sweet onion tart. Next was 1 white raisn scone with devonshire cream and strawberry preserves and a jam tart, then the choice of 2 freshly baked tea pastries, starwberries and cream or English trifle, all accompanied by a glass of Domaine Ste.-Michelle sparkling wine and my tea. $25.50
I decided on the strawberries and cream so Nikki and I could share as we were both full by this time. Nikki did not want port so I swithced my sparkling wine for her port. The port was very good, sweet and rich but very good. I had some of her stilton cheese and it matched very well with the port. The Eros tea was very mild and light and the Nobo Wholefruit was sweet and crisp. Overall good selections.

At this point, our server came out with a small cake with a candle in it and asked Nikki if she minded if they sang happy birthday to her. Nikki was a little embarrased but agreed, so the server turned to the whole lounge and asked for attention and asked thet EVERYONE sing to Nikki. The look on Nikki's face was priceless! Should have had my camera out. So eevery sang to her and I was laughing until I notced her getting misty eyed. I was like "STOP or I'll start!" And she fussed back "don''t you dare or I'll get worse!" and in the end we both ended up crying a little. LOL! She said she was very touched by that and that I really was the bestest friend. After we both finished sniffling and wiping our eyes we started cracking up!
I used Dsney Dining Experience to get 20% off the bill and then we asked if the tea was for sale anywhere in the hotel and the server said yes they sell it in the restaruant. We decided to take 2 tins of the Eros...ok we were not very smart as we did not ask how much the tea cost so when she brought it back and presented us with a bill for $48 and change we both about died! LOL $48 for two little tins of leaves LOL

We left the GF and drove to Goodings market at the Crossroads Plaza just past DTD. We picked up a few snacks for the room plus some beer - LOL. It is a birthday bash weekend afterall. We also bought a 1/2 gallon of OJ - but it cost $7!!!! Got a little lost heading back to resort as we were talking and not paying attention to the signs. LOL

Next Part2 - dinner ( my report was too long so have to break it up LOL!!)

MR.MIKE
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I love the boardwalk Inn a lot but everything you say is true and/or happened to us when we stayed there.

That day bed is small and my poor mother slept on it and we joked she looked like she was in a coffin.

We also walked out that door to the quiet pool trying to find our way out.

and while i understand the design reasons for the balconies those tiny ones can be annoying.

Thanks for the report.

January-2007
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
That's so funny about the birthday cake and the waitress making everyone in the restaurant sing to your friend! Thanks so much for the trip report! :mickey:

faline
09-01-2007, 06:57 PM
You tea experience sounds fabulous! What great memories you'll both have of the time you went to tea for your friend's birthday!

iheartmickey
09-01-2007, 11:21 PM
It sounds like a fantastic begining to your trip. The tea sounds like a fantastic experience ... I think I'm gonna have to do that with my mom!

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-02-2007, 10:34 PM
sounds like a great evening tea.

ChipnDaleGal
09-04-2007, 06:05 AM
What a wonderful birthday tea!! I am sure the two of you will be talking about that for the rest of your lives when her birthday rolls around. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

pdrlkr
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

disneydrmr
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
What a great start to what sounds like is gonna be a wonderful birthday get away for you and your friend! That tea sounds heavenly - I'll have to try that next time I go...