PDA

View Full Version : Gate Checking items?

mickey&missy
08-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Is there limit to what you can gate check? I've never done this before.

We'll have DS stroller and, depending on his size then, either his infant car seat that is part of a travel system or a larger car seat.

Can I gate check both? If not, what do I do?

Beast_fanatic
08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I've heard of people having car seats with them at the gate in hopes of getting an empty seat for their youngster (when they didn't buy a seat for them). In these cases, if there was no empty seat available, the car seats got gate checked. And, you can definitely gate check your stroller.

Can I ask why you're wanting to gate check the car seat? If you're using Magical Express, you won't be able to use the car seat on the bus, and if you're getting a rental car (or towncar) and you want it for that, you'll have to wait for your other checked luggage anyway, so you could just check your car seat along with your luggage. I just see lugging it around the airport to be quite a chore.

tiaramom
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
i HAD THE TRAVEL SYSTEM
AND WE CHECKED OUR STROLLER AND CARRIER/CARSEAT AT GATE. ( THE PART THAT SNAPS INTO STROLLER) WE CHECKED OUR BOOT ( ATTACHES TO CAR) WITH OUR REG. BAGGAGE. WE DIDNT TAKE DISNEYS MAGICAL EXPRESS THAT TIME.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
We always use our DD's car seat on the plane for her to sit in so I am not sure about gate checking that.
I would think they would though, as I have seen the same thing as another poster with parents bringing their car seat in case they can get an empty seat for their child without a purchased seat. They just gate check them if all seats are filled. If that is the case, I would make sure you get a car seat bag for it. I would get worried it would get kind of dirty.
We have always gate checked our stroller with no problems at all. It is right there as soon as we walk through the door of the plane and they even have it open for us most times
Good luck!

vamaggie
09-01-2007, 09:01 AM
You can definately check the stroller at the gate--we do it all the time. If you are not buying a seat for your DS (which I would HIGHLY recommend doing if you can swing the cost) I would not even bring the car seat. If you are using ME you cannot use it in the bus and if you are renting I would ask to rent a car seat for the trip. If you do decide to bring the car seat I would get a bag cover for it and just check it with the regular luggage. You can check with the airline's website before you leave home to see if there is a chance there are extra seats (and provided folks are willing to change/move to accomodate your son and you sitting together) and then bring the seat to the gate if the flight is not too crowded.

teambricker04
09-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I would check the carseat at the counter. They are SUCH a pain to carry. I say it is worth the time to go to baggage to get it. Really. Or as someone else said... rent one.

BUT if you do bring it, you can gate check it all with no problems. We fly stand by with our small ones sometimes and this means we bring more with us than we do if we have tix. We have never had problems with gate checking a bunch of stuff... on any airline we have flown.

chick20679
09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Any airline should let you gate check as many baby items as you need to...
However, I'd take the advice of the others and reconsider whether you need to take it at all. Do you really want to schlep it through the airport with you? Through security? On your connection (if you have one) to/from gates?
I'd leave it at home if I were you. IMO.

mickey&missy
09-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone!

Truthfully, I never thought of actually checking the car seat as luggage, duh! My question is, should I be worried about how rough they might handle it?

I can't leave it home because I don't want a nine month old riding in the limo without it. Plus, we're probably going to rent a car one day and go to Sea World. I'll need it for that anyway.

Thanks again!!

tinkerbell04
09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
:mickey:We usually rent a car and when my DD was small and in an infant car seat, I used it on the plane, just bought her a seat. Once she was about 3, but still in a regular car seat, I just checked it with luggage. I am sure that things get damaged, but I have had no problems. I now check her booster seat and stroller as luggage since she really doesn't need the stroller at the ariport.

chick20679
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
A car seat checked as luggage should be fine, however, like all bags/items checked, damage does occur sometimes.
I would call the limo company and see if they have loaner car seats available for your transportation to/from MCO, and maybe you could look into a car rental company that offers car seat rentals for the one day you'll rent a car? That way you wouldn't have to risk your car seat getting damaged? Just a thought. :mickey: