PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 -Of Our 10 Day Surprise Trip 8/11/07

madhatterrules
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
:chipdale:
TRIP REPORT- DAY 2 8/11/07
We got up at 6:30 AM, got ready, packed up the wheelchair with water bottles, and caught the bus to Animal Kingdom at 7:00 AM. This morning was an extra magic hour day. We arrived at AK and they opened the gates at 7:50 AM allowing us to enter part way into the park. Opening ceremonies began at 8 AM and a big crane came out with Pluto, Goofy, and Minnie on it. They greeted us and got a call on the radio from Mickey who was in a tree back further but we could all see him then. The park was officially opened and we followed the crane into Africa and headed straight for the Kilimanjaro Safari. We chatted with a CM, Donna, while we waited for our vehicle, she was really nice. This was my husband’s first time at Animal Kingdom. The ride was great! We saw so many animals including the baby rhino, elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, mandrill, crocodiles, gazelles, rhinos, some type of cows/steer with big horns, etc.
After exiting the safari, we stopped at the Bakery counter in Tusker House for some breakfast. Then we walked over to Asia and got fast passes for Expedition Everest which we were really excited to ride, well my husband (Mike) & I were my daughter ( Jessica) did not want to ride. So then we went to the Kali River Rapids which was fun even though we were completely soaked! Next we explored the Maharaja Jungle Trek which was really nice, lots of shade and we saw the Tigers, Fruit Bats, Komodo dragons and tapirs. We sat for a few minutes along the water viewing the Tree of Life and watching an egret who was foraging close by.
We then lined up for the 11:00 AM Flights of Wonder show; and got to see a Cast Member with an owl in front of the attraction. This show was great and I’d highly recommend it, I think many people miss it. You get to see some beautiful birds and they fly right over your head. Jessica loved it. :thumbsup:
Next we hopped on the train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Jessica wants to be a vet and loves anything to do with animals and animal care. The ride is not bad and you get a behind the scenes peek at the animal facilities for the animals you see on the safari. We saw a rhino, an elephant, and a giraffe. Rafiki’s Planet watch is all about helping wildlife in your own backyard as well as conservation and protection of wild animals. We had fun checking out all the exhibits and the vet area. Jessica saw Rafiki and got a picture with him and an autograph. We stopped briefly at the affection section and she petted the goats, they really seemed to like using Mike’s wheelchair as a scratching post too! Then it was getting hot so we headed back to Africa on the train. We had lunch at Tusker House which was really good. We each had the rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans and cheesecake for dessert. We decided to make our way to the park entrance and hide back to POFQ. On our way out Jessica collected another autograph from Flik.
We got back to the hotel, went swimming and napped. We had dinner reservations for 7:00 at O’Hana. Around 6:00 PM we took the bus to MK and the monorail over to the Polynesian. :papple:We were seated at 7:00 PM with no wait. We had a really enjoyable meal, the chicken wings & shrimp were great, and our favorites of the meats were the turkey & then the steak skewers. The side dishes were all good too. Jessica participated in the coconut races, playing music, and doing the limbo. Even though everyone says they love the dessert there, we weren’t thrilled. It was OK but bread pudding just isn’t our thing. :lei: Overall it was one of our favorite meals. We headed back to POFQ, picked up a box of donuts & drinks for the AM and hit the sack!

Lizzie
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the report.

January-2007
08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the trip report, I can't wait to try the dinner at 'Ohana! :lei:

faline
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Lovely day! You really covered a lot of ground at Animal Kingdom! Did you ever get to use your Expedition fast passes?

iheartmickey
09-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a very nice day! I can't wait to try Ohanna's ourselves in Oct.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
09-02-2007, 11:46 PM
sounds like a great day.

madhatterrules
09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Lovely day! You really covered a lot of ground at Animal Kingdom! Did you ever get to use your Expedition fast passes?

:mickey: Oh, yes. How did I miss that! We used our fast passes for Expedition Everest :coaster:and it was AWESOME!!! I rode first while my husband waited with our daughter, then I pushed him back thru the fast pass line and he rode it while her & I waited. He loved it too. I wish my daughter would have tried it, I know she would enjoyed it.